Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I made no friends in my first year in UCD

• 18-05-2019 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I have made literally no friends in my first year of arts in UCD. Did anyone else have this problem? I feel like such a loser and very low. Does it get any better? Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That's very common in Arts due to the large class sizes. Try not to let it get you down, you're not alone. It will get a bit easier in second year with smaller classes. But the best way to meet and get to know people is by joining societies and going to social events.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Join as many clubs as you can. Check the notice boards. Chat to whoever is beside you. It WILL get better!

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Join a couple of societies that are aligned with your interests.

Prioritise your course above all else though (voice of experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Friends can take some work.

I'd say the slight opposite to Day above. Join one club or society that meets weekly and never miss a training session/meeet up/event/whatever. Try two if you can handle it, or have a couple of occasional clubs/socs montly sort of things to do along side your weekly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 EmmausCentre

This appears to be a very common issue now. I am in the same situation in DCU. Societies do help a bit and so does time in the library but overall it appears that the close college friendships are more difficult than in the past. Also I think UCD students tend to come from certain feeder schools and they stay in the groups with their friends from secondary school. DCU has the same issue with it's feeder schools. I really think that this is something colleges should look at. Try the one society route next year for something that you really enjoy. Only join a second if it is directly related to your course e.g. Spanish if studying Spanish as you might connect with a classmate there. Enjoy your summer break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Madamenoire

I have made literally no friends in my first year of arts in UCD. Did anyone else have this problem? I feel like such a loser and very low. Does it get any better? Thank you.

It’s normal. I myself is doing arts in UCD, I’ve been studying there for 2 years and my closest friends are from my peer mentor group. I advice you to join societies and even just talk to anyone you sit beside in the lecture halls. Also, try doing modules with group projects, it helps to make friends at least people to talk to. And try invite them to society events. You’re not a loser, a lot of people in arts have this problem.

Advertisement