Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork city drinking water update

• 20-11-2009 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

City Council notice about areas affected here

http://corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,22195,en.html

and latest update link here

http://corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,22196,en.html

Edit - 4 pm Saturday update says this:

Cork City Council

Civic Emergency – update

The following is the current information resulting from the recent flooding as at 4pm on Saturday, 21st November 2009.

Water Supplies

Areas supplied by Lee Road Waterworks continue to experience supply disruption. Cork City Council Engineers have been working on the network to maximise delivery and have succeeded in stabilising supply to the Central Island and lower Blackpool, enabling businesses and shops to continue trading in these areas.

Consumers may expect some fluctuations in water pressure.

Emergency Water Supplies

Emergency water supplies are being provided in affected areas. Water tankers to provide this service are located in:

Ballyvolane Shopping Centre
    Blackpool Shopping Centre
    Hollyhill Shopping Centre
    St. Mary’s Orthopaedic Hospital, Gurranabraher
    Nemo Rangers GAA, South Douglas Road
    Hydrant Stand Pipes are also in place in the following areas:

Musgrave Part (Entrance), Pearse Road, Ballyphehane
    Ardmahon Estate, Ballinlough
    Junction Togher Road / Clashduv Road
    Sandymount Drive, Summerstown Grove, Glasheen
    Mardyke Walk (opp. UCC Sports Complex)

People are asked to bring their own containers and if you are unsure that your container is clean, the water should be boiled before use.

Additional water points are to be added over the coming days.

Caution: Householders in affected areas should exercise caution in the use of heating systems and electrical appliances e.g. washing machines, dish washers and electrical showers.

Schools

Most schools in affected areas have confirmed their closure for the duration of the emergency. Parents should contact their individual school directly.

Public Health & Sanitation

The HSE has issued public health information and advice in the following areas:

Ø Toilet flushing

If there is no water for flushing toilets, it is important that all water used for washing, bathing, and from cooking (i.e. water from boiled vegetables) or washing up is saved in buckets to be used for flushing. It is not necessary to flush the toilet after urination. Other sources of recycled water can also be used for flushing e.g. rain water.

Ø Handwashing

People should ensure that they wash hands frequently – if no tap water is available, then use water from City Council tankers, hand wipes, sanitizers, etc.

Ø Bathing infants

If tap water is not available for bathing infants, boiled and cooled tanker water or bottled water are safe alternatives. A safe alternative to bathing is to use baby wipes for hand cleansing and washing infants.

Ø Baby food

In preparing formula feeds for infants / babies, ideally use water from a water tanker or bottled water, brought to a ‘rolling’ boil and left covered to cool for no more than half an hour, then follow the manufacturer’s instructions on making up the feed. The use of unboiled tanker water should be avoided. Use cooled boiled water or bottled water for cooling the feed once it has been made up. Ready-to-feed liquid formula could be used instead.

If you buy your own bottled water, be aware that some natural mineral water may have high sodium content. Look at the label for sodium or `Na’ and check its level is not higher than 200mg a litre. If it is, then try to use different water. If no other water is available, then use this water for as short a time as possible. It is important to keep babies hydrated.

Ø Boiling water

Containers – ensure that containers for water carrying and / or storage are clean.

If the quality of the container cannot be guaranteed, it may be advisable to boil water before use – this will be for drinking and food preparation. All water for these purposes should be brought to a boil and then allowed to cool before using. Only water which has been boiled or bottled water should be used for brushing teeth, washing food, cooking and making ice.

Remember that boiling water can carry a risk of scalding accidents. It is advisable to use a kettle rather than pots and pans. If you must use open containers such as pots and pans, then special care should be taken when young children or vulnerable people are involved. Keep panhandles turned inwards when boiling water in pans so that children cannot reach them.

Ø Food washing

It is advisable to boil water before use for drinking and food preparation purposes

For further public health information, see www.hse.ie

Road Closures

Carrigrohane Road and Grenville Place are permanently closed until further notice.

A section of riverside walk has collapsed at Sunday’s Well Road near Wellington Bridge and on Saturday, 21st November Cork City Council is organising necessary structural works. Traffic has been restricted to eastbound traffic only.

An Garda Síochána advise motorists to drive carefully and to remain aware of storm debris on road carriageways. Similarly pedestrians should also heed the advice and warnings of Gardaí.

Cork City Council Contact Numbers for queries 8am – 6pm on Saturday 21st and 8am – 10pm Sunday 22nd November are:

021 4924178

021 4924679

021 4924228

021 4924255

Members of the public should stay tuned to local radio stations for any further updates.

Valerie O’Sullivan,

Director of Emergency Services,

Cork City Council,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

If anyone is without water around UCC they have some in the off license near Lennoxes.

A friend of mine is working in there and what he told me was very heartening. They've dropped the price of water to cost price. And they're ordering in 5 litre drums for tomorrow. You can put your name down for them and they'll ring you when they get them in.

It's good to see people not gouging and doing the decent thing. I'm very impressed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Apparently most of the Tescos and Aldis in the County have run out of water supplies..jayzus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nacl

that is very good of Galvin's on the Bandon Road - let's hope it sets a standard.

here is another update link on the City Council.

is it just me or is there a distinct lack of evidence of 'boots on the ground' from City Hall today?

http://corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,22198,en.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buckrodgers

How can you tell where your water comes from? I am in Blackrock/Mahon, I assume my water is safe to drink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nacl

City said earlier today no contaminated water entered its system.

Their problem is they cannot replenish the supply as that is drawn down.

If they are right, then what is in your tap should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

nacl wrote: »
    City said earlier today no contaminated water entered its system.

Their problem is they cannot replenish the supply as that is drawn down.

If they are right, then what is in your tap should be fine.

I'm boiling everything before I drink it to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Does the water in the Blackrock area come from the Waterworks Lee Road? I ask this as i gather water in Mahon is fine which suggests it comes from another source. sometime ago i was out in the Inniscarra water works and I think they supply some to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i think they said on the news that they have about a day and a half worth of water left in the resevoirs,

does that mean people with water now will eventually run out:eek:??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I would imagine so. If theres no water at all coming out of the taps at that point then its going to be a long smelly week till everything is back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I went to Aldi to get water earlier and they were out of it. They got a delivery of 3 pallets while I was there. People snapped it up like it was gold. Unreal. Hope it's not gonna be like that for the weekend. No toilet or shower :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you all know that even down as far as fermoy the water on the shelves is scarce. My father in-law went to middleton tonight from the city and had trouble getting it there. I would advise calling ahead if you are planning to make the trip. Musgraves might be worth a call tomorrow morning they are open until 1 and may make allowances to the general public based on the situation the city is in.

Rgds
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Tony255 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wanted to let you all know that even down as far as fermoy the water on the shelves is scarce. My father in-law went to middleton tonight from the city and had trouble getting it there. I would advise calling ahead if you are planning to make the trip. Musgraves might be worth a call tomorrow morning they are open until 1 and may make allowances to the general public based on the situation the city is in.

Rgds
    Tony

Yeah the problem is ,is that people who have clean running water are fearing they will lose theres so are stocking it up aswell.

I am sure some of our older posters will remember the so called "three dark days" and the resultant demand for candles. I think it had something to do with Fatima and obviously ESB had not reached the rural areas. This time the search for bottled water is real. People who are going outside cork trying to get some should consider just filling up with ordinary tap water. God be with the days of the village pump!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Yeah the problem is ,is that people who have clean running water are fearing they will lose theres so are stocking it up aswell.

That's not really suprising though seeing as the Council said the supply could be disrupted for a number of days & RTE's website saying yesterday that there was only enough water for approximately one & a half days.

RTE are saying that there are notices in effect stating that you should boil water as there are fears of water pollution but it doesnt give specific details.

According to city council website water for the city is provided by theLee Road treatment plant and the Inniscarra treatment plant. I assume Inniscarra plant is not affected and consequently is it possible to ascertain what parts of the city (if Any) are supplied by water from Inniscarra as such areas will have no need i assume? to stock up with bottled water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mrziggy

I just read that the supply is expected to be disrupted for 4-5 days at:
    http://lauramcgonigle.ie/2009/11/20/water-shortage-alert-cork-city/

I also read this:
    "Earlier, an ESB spokesman said it was not their responsibility to inform the residents of Cork city that they were releasing massive volumes of water from a dam." from http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cork-city-left-under-water-as-esb-opens-floodgates-1950229.html

This will surely raise some questions as to who controls when the dam is opened. The ESB might have saved us from worse but it still raises questions. People don't trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

mrziggy wrote: »
    I just read that the supply is expected to be disrupted for 4-5 days at:
    http://lauramcgonigle.ie/2009/11/20/water-shortage-alert-cork-city/

I also read this:
    "Earlier, an ESB spokesman said it was not their responsibility to inform the residents of Cork city that they were releasing massive volumes of water from a dam." from http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cork-city-left-under-water-as-esb-opens-floodgates-1950229.html

This will surely raise some questions as to who controls when the dam is opened. The ESB might have saved us from worse but it still raises questions. People don't trust them.

The ESB only have to notify the authorities such as the council and the Gardaí. They ESB decide when to open it but as we saw yesterday the council were all but ghosts yesterday and if it wasnt for the army and the civil defence there would have been so much more chaos.

Apparently there aint much water left in the resevoirs of the places that still have water.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

well that explains it, with one and a half days water in the city centre the shops/pubs/clubs are open for business probally trying to get saturdays money in before the have to shut down for not being able to provide bathroom facilities to customers and staff! typical you'd think they'd conserve it :mad: and save it for people who need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭superhooper

Obviously everything is ok now in Cork City as the City Council offices are closed and they haven't updated their web-site today. I'm sure if the water supplies were under threat they would at least have an answering service informing people of affected areas.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mrziggy

Obviously everything is ok now in Cork City as the City Council offices are closed and they haven't updated their web-site today. I'm sure if the water supplies were under threat they would at least have an answering service informing people of affected areas.:rolleyes:

....the water in my house has been gone since this morning...I'm near Shanakiel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Plasmoid

My grandmothers house on High Street, near the Capwell bus station and a bare kilometre from City Hall has been without water since Friday Afternoon.

All the information on water tankers is about the north side... disgrace.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Plasmoid wrote: »

All the information on water tankers is about the north side... disgrace.

That's incorrect - from the getgo there was a tanker at Nemo (and announced as so).

Since today there's also stand pipes at other southside locations ( see corkcity.ie for details).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Water just shut off in Ballintemple/Beaumont about 5 minutes ago

..as I discovered when I went to have a shower....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

for anyone in the Douglas / Ballinlough area there's a standpipe at the end of Ardmahon Estate - just at the lovetts end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just heard that the water will be off until next Saturday at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Gah, that's me gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Same here in St Lukes area. Was fine until now. Fortunately I have a bit left but nowhere near enough for 1 week, was waiting to see what would happen rather than add to the panic.

I see the army supplies expect you to bring your own container. Where can you get suitable containers as basically as I got is a B&Q bucket?

What about people living in the city who don't have cars? There is a real screw you mentality from the ESB and the council.

Andip wrote: »
    for anyone in the Douglas / Ballinlough area there's a standpipe at the end of Ardmahon Estate - just at the lovetts end

I swung past there a few minutes ago expecting hordes of people clamouring for water but all it was was just a guy from the Corpo and a stand pipe.

• Advertisement

Seems to be back again here ..

Advertisement