Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The 15 modern finalists for the 2021 pro football hall of fame(the 2020 class didn’t get an induction ceremony but still are in I think) are being announced.

Right so the fifteen modern day finalists are listed below but on the selection day before the super bowl the fifteen get reduced to 10 and then five for enshrinement. You’d have to think Peyton manning and Charles woodson are locks.

peyton manning(first year),
    reggie Wayne,
    Calvin Johnson(first year),
    Tory holt,
    Charles Woodson(first year),
    John lynch,
    ronde barber,
    Leroy butler,
    Jared Allen(first year),
    Richard Seymour,
    clay Mathews,
    Sam mills,
    Zach Thomas,
    Alan faneca,
    Tony Boselli,
    Bill Nunn(contributor).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Elway getting out of that role was long overdue but hard to know whether it is an actual change or just smoke and mirrors for the fans. Many 49ers fans have actually been hoping for Lynch to make a similar move upwards and put Peters in as GM.
    Apparently the 49ers have already doubled the salary Peters was on in an effort to hang onto him

Can't see Lynch moving anywhere though - he has proven to be decent at the job.
    Like we've discussed when it came to the Broncos wanting to sign Shanahan, I'm not sure how attractive they are with Elway still hanging around and likely sticking his oar in on every decision, if not still straight up making them. Aside from title it doesn't seem like too much of an improvement on his current job and even a step down when it comes to the quality of coaching and recent organisation performance.
    That is a good question - and Elway has repeatedly stressed in several interviews that the GM will have total control over the roster and the hiring and firing of coaches.

I suspect that this move could have more to do with Elway positioning for the expected ownership change this year.
    Now the Panthers have apparently requested an interview with Peters, who has previously worked with Rhule. Their owner has shown he will move mountains to get their guy and do everything to support them. Peters to Broncos might happen but I don't think it is as easy as Broncos saying they want it and it happening.
    Peters is one of the top candidates available and will likely have multiple job offers.

The Broncos have already scheduled an interview with Champ Kelly of the Bears (who is also due to interview with the Panthers).

One thing the Broncos have going for them with both Peters and Kelly is that they each previously spent 8/9 years working for the Broncos (as did the other prominently touted candidate John Spytek of the Bucs who worked under Elway for 3 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Who do you want JRG?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Who do you want JRG?

My preference would be Peters - but I think they will hire Kelly.

Just announced a short time ago that Joe Ellis will not be seeking a new contract after 2021 - clear indication that the Broncos will be sold this year.

• Advertisement

Just announced a short time ago that Joe Ellis will not be seeking a new contract after 2021 - clear indication that the Broncos will be sold this year.

Cmon Peyton!

Two years ago yesterday the eagles were playing the bears in solider field and a year ago Tuesday just gone the eagles lost to the Seahawk. It’s nearly three years since the eagles beat the patriots in the super bowl. It didn’t take long for it to all go to **** and end up 4-11-1 and being a mess.

Jim Schwartz has stepped down as DC of the eagles. This wasn’t really a surprise but it’s official.

Denver Broncos

Champ Kelly, Bears assistant director of player personnel -- requested
    George Paton, Vikings assistant general manager and VP of player personnel -- requested
    Davie Ziegler, Patriots assistant director of player personnel -- requested

Full list here:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-coaching-gm-tracker-latest-news-interviews-developments-in-2021-hiring-cycle

I pray for the wellbeing of Nick Caserio taking on that Texans GM job. Eesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Mike Nolan done as the DC of big D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Filed under weird the Ravens will have 2 punters on their roster

Best punter in the league Sam Koch had to miss time due to Covid restrictions so the Ravens signed John Townsend from the Chiefs practice squad

When a player is signed off a practice squad they are guaranteed at least 3 weeks on the 53 man roster. It is a good rule I think as players take a risk leaving a team to go to a new team. 3 weeks gives them game cheques and a shot to make an impression

Townsend has his guaranteed weeks and the Ravens carry 2 punters

• Registered Users Posts: 15,164 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Oat23 wrote: »

Not surprised really. It was a poor season and then whatever he was up to benching Jalen hurts which seriously pissed off the locker room. Howie roseman should be out as well. There was a pair of them in it who took a super bowl winning team and made an utter balls of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Was just coming in to say pederson is gone. Someone beat me to it

Guess they're hoping a new HC can resurrect project Wentz.

As a Cowboys fan, the longer they keep wentz the better. Then again they'll say the same about Dak, but don't forget Wentz was #2 overall, Dak was a fourth round compensatory pick

• Registered Users Posts: 15,164 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Not surprised really. It was a poor season and then whatever he was up to benching Jalen hurts which seriously pissed off the locker room. Howie roseman should be out as well. There was a pair of them in it who took a super bowl winning team and made an utter balls of it.

I thought he was 1000% safe after the way the Eagles threw the last game. That was coaching like you know your job is safe, and maybe he thought it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Oat23 wrote: »

The smartest man in the room just got himself fired lol

Bloody fool being so public with tanking in the giants game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

If it is just Doug gone it must be a play to make Wentz work - sunk cost fallacy at play.

Given their dire cap position it looks like they'll have huge turnover and rebuild this coming year so they should be looking to move on from Roseman too, unless they believe they are going to stick with him for a few more years no matter what happens.

We've seen it over and over that brining in a coach with a GM on their last legs normally means a disaster the following year and either both gone or the coach hanging on but not being the GM's guy and losing credibility.

Hadn't seen this before I posted. My god that man is deluded. If you're going to leak something make sure it isn't going to make you look like a complete ass.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1348710410594222082?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Urban Meyer in at Jacksonville.
    Robert Saleh in at New York.

Hadn't seen this before I posted. My god that man is deluded. If you're going to leak something make sure it isn't going to make you look like a complete ass.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1348710410594222082?s=20

After reading more and more about the Eagles sitch, I'm coming down on the side of Pederson v Howie.

Hard to believe they're 3 years removed from a SB win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Not going to pretend I know anything about Saleh, or any of the other HC candidates.
    But at last I dont have the impending sense of doom I had after the Gase hiring!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

phatkev wrote: »
    Not going to pretend I know anything about Saleh, or any of the other HC candidates.
    But at last I dont have the impending sense of doom I had after the Gase hiring!!

He's bringing Mike LaFleur with him as OC so expect to see similar offensive and defensive schemes to what was run in San Francisco the last few years.

Urban Meyer in at Jacksonville.

I can't hate more that Meyer signing. The guy has built toxic cultures where he has been and top it off with repeatedly quitting when times looked tough (claiming illness and family time). Not the type of person you want when building up a 1 win team.

If the rumours of Baalke being promoted to GM are true it could end up being a complete disaster there. Ignoring his love of players with serious knee injuries, Baalke was a sieve for leaking anti-coach gossip to the media and constantly being in the owner's ear.

Love this signing for both sides. I went into a lot of detail why in the Jets' thread. Appreciate the two 3rd round picks the NFL will give us and despite how the Jets will likely pilfer our FAs, it'll be nice to have an east coast AFC team to root for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Least surprising headline of 2021:

Josh Gordon Suspended Indefinitely After Reinstatement Rescinded

A bit more surprising :

Von Miller Under Criminal Investigation in Colorado

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The Texans are a real mess at the moment. Caserio has a real job on his hands to turn them around, and with little draft capital too. Can't see them being first choice for a wanted HC candidate either.

Another SI article on them today: https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

I can't believe yet that it will come to a point where Watson will be traded, but it doesn't seem unthinkable right now either, which is crazy really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    The Texans are a real mess at the moment. Caserio has a real job on his hands to turn them around, and with little draft capital too. Can't see them being first choice for a wanted HC candidate either.

Another SI article on them today: https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

I can't believe yet that it will come to a point where Watson will be traded, but it doesn't seem unthinkable right now either, which is crazy really.

It’s crazy, you’d think getting rid of Bill O’Brien might be the start of something positive for them but it’s actually getting worse. I don’t blame Watson for being disillusioned with the whole thing.
    Horrible mismanagement of resources top to bottom for years.

Josh McDaniels set to be interviewed by the Eagles.

Christ.

https://theathletic.com/news/eagles-josh-mcdaniels-patriots-coach-news/lAD1EIPjXJsE

Josh McDaniels set to be interviewed by the Eagles.

Christ.

https://theathletic.com/news/eagles-josh-mcdaniels-patriots-coach-news/lAD1EIPjXJsE

That's when you really know you're in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I imagine Eagles candidate who even hints at starting Hurst over Wentz will get a swift "thanks, but no thanks".

Advertisement