Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haven't touched a drop in...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

Unwittingly had a slice of cake soaked with some sort of dessert wine on Christmas eve, I didn't mind though, I had no idea it was in the cake. Could feel the booze for 15 mins afterwards and then it passed.
    I'm glad to say that not only did it remind me of how much I do *not* miss that feeling but reinforced in me how happy I am to make not drinking a cornerstone of my general wellbeing and great family moments together.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭prishtinaboy99

1 year 6 months and 20 days otherwise I would be dead by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭basillarkin

one year today, don't miss it. Hopefully will be saying the same next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

Exactly one year also. No wet pubs so I'll be carrying on for a while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

954 days.

Had planned to have a couple over the xmas, but the fear was to intense. Looks like i'm on the wagon til at least 1000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

5 days off alcohol,weed and nicotine,feeling good to,but sleeping isn't easy,walking 5k every day.

• 2561 days. Best decision ever. No desire to drink again. Stupid years. Such ineffable waste of youth and opportunity. Crazy how I refused to see honestly for so long, especially about how time does fly and I should have been building a better career and world for myself in my 20s and 30s. As it happened, once I removed myself from all places where alcohol was sold and changed my environment it was not difficult after the first week or so when I had formed replacement habits and routines. 3 months into giving up I had to attend a wedding and I posted here in March 2014 at my first drink-free wedding and it was very, very tough but it got so much easier after that summer. I'd have no problem going to any pub now and not drinking. Not an issue anymore.

Keep with it. You'll find you rarely think about it or miss it after a while. From being centre of your world, it just is not in it. Lastly, don't let the "it's so difficult" hype undermine your confidence. Very many, if not most, people manage to give up drink by making changes to their own environment and routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

candycock wrote: »
    5 days off alcohol,weed and nicotine,feeling good to,but sleeping isn't easy,walking 5k every day.

Fair play, keeping yourself active and busy is important. Make sure you have someone to talk to as well, doesn't have to be a deep heart to heart just someone that is supportive. To give up those 3 things in one go is amazing!

2561 days. Best decision ever. No desire to drink again. Stupid years. Such ineffable waste of youth and opportunity. Crazy how I refused to see honestly for so long, especially about how time does fly and I should have been building a better career and world for myself in my 20s and 30s. As it happened, once I removed myself from all places where alcohol was sold and changed my environment it was not difficult after the first week or so when I had formed replacement habits and routines. 3 months into giving up I had to attend a wedding and I posted here in March 2014 at my first drink-free wedding and it was very, very tough but it got so much easier after that summer. I'd have no problem going to any pub now and not drinking. Not an issue anymore.

Keep with it. You'll find you rarely think about it or miss it after a while. From being centre of your world, it just is not in it. Lastly, don't let the "it's so difficult" hype undermine your confidence. Very many, if not most, people manage to give up drink by making changes to their own environment and routine.

That's great to hear, my partner is 3 years sober and fins Xmas hard he too was in the same boat and no doubt has lots of regrets but no point in wasting even more time on regrets. Just enjoy the time you have now. He did have some 'alcohol free' beers over Xmas like 2 Xmas day and I was so nervous because it does contain.. 0.3% plus the whole familiarity of it but he got through it, I kept my mouth shut and he's not bothered with it since. He still needs counselling but refuses. He's doing his best though but is so on edge and unhappy if he's not working he feels he needs to be tired from work or he can't relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

That's great to hear, my partner is 3 years sober and fins Xmas hard he too was in the same boat and no doubt has lots of regrets but no point in wasting even more time on regrets. Just enjoy the time you have now. He did have some 'alcohol free' beers over Xmas like 2 Xmas day and I was so nervous because it does contain.. 0.3% plus the whole familiarity of it but he got through it, I kept my mouth shut and he's not bothered with it since. He still needs counselling but refuses. He's doing his best though but is so on edge and unhappy if he's not working he feels he needs to be tired from work or he can't relax.

I started counselling 5 weeks ago and I can't speak highly enough of it. My therapist is very experienced and is really helping me get to the root of my issues with alcohol including the "break up" and coming to terms with not drinking again. I was very nervous speaking to someone and admitting my problem but it's been excellent.

It sounds like your partner may be suffering with PAWS, if it was of any help I could PM you my therapist's details on the off chance that your partner changes their mind. It can be difficult to know where to start.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I will be 2 years completely sober - with absolutely no slips - early next month. Delighted with myself and so happy for the peace of mind and joy in my life that I have today. :)

If you are 25 years, 25 months, 25 days or just 25 hours in sobriety - keep going!

Belated Happy New Year all!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,689 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Since NYE, I'm not sure how long I'm going for but I was drinking too much, too regularly in the run up to Xmas. And for most of the year really.
    I feel like a completely different person already, up before 7 every day, actually getting good nights rest, my mood is on a completely different level, I find myself singing to myself all day and just feeling joyous. Music sounds amazing. Jogging most days.
    It's like a dark cloud has finally lifted. I need to remember how this feels next time I'm stuck in an alcohol loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drydub

1050 days today.

I meant to pop on prior to xmas to wish you all good luck and to keep at it. I hope you all stuck with it and even if you didnt i hope that you all are being king with yourself and trying to refocus on why you wanted to quit in the first instance.

Xmas was easy for me. Plenty of good family distractions and kept active. Didnt miss the session and had a couple 0% beers with food. Early mornings were enjoyable. Settled into a nice routine , especially at the weekends, get the paper delivered at the weekends, down with the kids around 6am, coffee and a read of the paper and the usual jigsaws and kids story books, listening to early morning radio and watching the sun come up, it genuinely is enjoyable and fills me with happiness.

Starting to wonder if im addicted to coffee now! ha but sure listen we all have to have some interests! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

First day nearly over. Been drinking tea like mad all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

One month finished.

Not going to lie, I would kill for a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I just passed my 19th consecutive year without a drink.

Am grateful I still know and understand that for me and those like me, to drink is to die. I know a good few who have suffered that fate. Not sure why I was given the gift of a second chance at permanent sobriety, but am damn glad I took it.

Love n light to all-- lurkers and active posters alike.

No matter where you're at, today's another chance to start again :)

• FHFM50 wrote: »
    One month finished.

Not going to lie, I would kill for a drink.

Well done. You're over the worst; now, you need to change your mentality permanently about alcohol. It's a waste of life and these healthy years that will never come back. I found changing my environment, routine and getting new practices to occupy my time took my mind off drink. I had one rule - no drink again. I didn't entertain any of the silliness I did in previous attempts - most frequently, leaving the possibility of drinking again open in my head to tempt me to lie and deceive myself. That certainty made everything so much easier, and the temptation receeded with time. But definitely removing all alcohol from home, avoiding pubs and places where alcohol was sold (shouldn't be hard now!) and all meetings with friends that revolved around drink was essential.

Now, seven years later, I've no problem going to a pub or meeting friends while they drink. But in those initial stages I would have had that temptation hence all temptation was removed and environment changed until I was stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 suspiciousMind

Well done. You're over the worst; now, you need to change your mentality permanently about alcohol. It's a waste of life and these healthy years that will never come back. I found changing my environment, routine and getting new practices to occupy my time took my mind off drink. I had one rule - no drink again. I didn't entertain any of the silliness I did in previous attempts - most frequently, leaving the possibility of drinking again open in my head to tempt me to lie and deceive myself. That certainty made everything so much easier, and the temptation receeded with time. But definitely removing all alcohol from home, avoiding pubs and places where alcohol was sold (shouldn't be hard now!) and all meetings with friends that revolved around drink was essential.

Now, seven years later, I've no problem going to a pub or meeting friends while they drink. But in those initial stages I would have had that temptation hence all temptation was removed and environment changed until I was stronger.

7 years, wow fair play
    on day 51 and enjoying the process so far.

I will be 2 years fully sober tomorrow. :)

Here’s to many, many more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Just realised that I passed the 10 year mark there a couple of weeks ago.

I never had a big problem with drink, just that there came a point where I couldn't handle the hangovers or feeling of despair from it. Things have changed so much in those 10 years, for the good I might add.

I always said after I had the first 5 years done, I would go back and have a few if I stayed the course for 10. Now, no intention of it.

I still after all this time, have people ask me why I dont drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i loved going out every weekend usually have 8-9 pints and mybe a short or two. i dont drink at home so drinking reduced dramatically when pubs opeened in august and september. most i had was 4 pints in any one sitting at that time. i hadnt drank from March 7th to August 1st. I mean not one drop of alchol. think my last drink was October 2nd , went al through xma s without any drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dancingabbap

In November I stopped drinking but I've a few slips/relapses. I tried antabuse a couple of times. However most recently it was making me really tired and my mood has been really ****. I ended up drinking after a few days of being off it. I think I "got away" with it but I feel really **** ever since. Today is my starting again day. I will make it till tomorrow sober at this stage. I'm really scared that my mental health is deteriorating and I'm not sure what to do. I'm chatting to my key worker about whats happened over the last days to me tomorrow so I think that will be help.

I keep going for a few weeks without drinking and then I start again so I feel like I am repeatedly starting from zero again. I called in sick half way through the work day today as I felt too anxious. I know my sleep is going to be **** tonight so I'm nervous as hell about functioning this week. I'm not really sure what I am looking for by posting this but I feel lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭tinpib

Keep posting, feel free to write how you feel on here, ithelps to get your feelings "down on paper" as it were.

The cliche of 1 day at a time is so true and useful so you are doing the right thing.

I also recommend the stopdrinking subreddit, purely because there are over 285,000 people on there so there is a lot more activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drydub

Passed the 3 year milestone.

Keep trucking everyone.

Day 3 today. Still not sleeping great but should be ok by the weekend I think. Seeing my therapist today in a couple of hours so going to open up to them about how I've been doing/feeling. Plan is to try and keep very busy and stay off most social media this weekend and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

I'll be sober 1.000 days soon. Took one day at a time and kept busy.

Keep going everyone, life is waaaay better without the poison!

T*

Day 4 today. Work went slow enough but the evening went pretty fast. Went out for a walk and did some mindfulness today which helped my mood. Getting into the habit of cooking dinner too which is nice. The weekend is normally a challenge for me so going to plan it out and avoid situations where I might be tempted to drink.

My third fully sober Easter. :) May there be many more to come!

Wishing you all a very Happy (and sober) Easter! :)

11417_veh9ks87jyo2bg4p.jpeg

• Advertisement

Day 3 today. Still not sleeping great but should be ok by the weekend I think. Seeing my therapist today in a couple of hours so going to open up to them about how I've been doing/feeling. Plan is to try and keep very busy and stay off most social media this weekend and see how it goes.

Well done! Have you access to a good supportive gp?

Advertisement