Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020-2021 Off Season Thread

• 01-12-2020 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Said I'd kick this one off.

Jack Presley feel free to delete if I'm taking liberties

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I'll get the ball rolling. Mets sign relief pitcher Trevor May for 15 million over 2 years.

A solid signing that should improve the Bullpen

Some interesting names non-tendered last night. Kyle Schwarber, Albert Amora Jr., Eddie Rosario, David Dahl, and Archie Bradley amongst others.

The Off Season just got a bit more intriguing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Sad to see Schwarber may be leaving although the Cubs haven't shut the door fully. A further erosion of the great Cubs lineup of 2016. Along with the departure of Theo Epstein, I fear it will be another long, fallow period for the team.

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Sad to see Schwarber may be leaving although the Cubs haven't shut the door fully. A further erosion of the great Cubs lineup of 2016. Along with the departure of Theo Epstein, I fear it will be another long, fallow period for the team.

He was a real fan favorite and something of a cult hero. But due to his defensive frailties I think his future lies in being a DH. If it becomes universal in 2021 I could certainly see him back at the Cubs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Doodah7

ShyMets wrote: »
    He was a real fan favorite and something of a cult hero. But due to his defensive frailties I think his future lies in being a DH. If it becomes universal in 2021 I could certainly see him back at the Cubs

While I would love him to stay with the club, NOT at the expense of introducing the DH rule into the National League permanently... Some abominations cannot be let lie!!

• Advertisement

Doodah7 wrote: »
    While I would love him to stay with the club, NOT at the expense of introducing the DH rule into the National League permanently... Some abominations cannot be let lie!!

I'd take the universal DH if it meant and end to inter-league play

Interesting times at the Phillies. Rumours are they're looking to trade Zach Wheeler and possibly one or two more.

It appears the rebuild hasn't worked and they're looking at a tear down again. If I was a fan I'd be tearing my hair out

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Phillies have announced Dave Dombrowski in a new President of Baseball Operations row. Seems to be serious division among the fanbase as to whether this is a good move or not.

The Zack Wheeler trade rumours seem to have died off pretty quickly, but things are still up in the air about JT. I think Andrew Knapp is a solid catcher who would do well in the starting line up. They need to go all in on the bullpen, make the most of Bryce Harper's prime years to make a run for a World Series.

Padres really going for it by signing Snell and Darvish

• Advertisement

bazwraf wrote: »
    Padres really going for it by signing Snell and Darvish

Very much in win now mode. Their farm system has taken a dent but still in reasonable good shape.

On paper their starting rotation is scary. No guarantees it will work. But I wouldn't begrudge them a World Series

How are all of you Mets fans doing?

How are all of you Mets fans doing?

Patiently waiting for George and Trevor:)

Patiently waiting for George and Trevor:)

The NL definitely seems like the more active, stronger league these days

Mets acquire Lindor and Carlos Caarrasco from Cleveland in exchange for Andres Gimenez and two other prospects.

Wow. I did not see that coming. Assuming they can sign Lindor to a long term deal and mood music seems positive on that, then I love this trade.

Take a bow Steve Cohen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Mets acquire Lindor and Carlos Caarrasco from Cleveland in exchange for Andres Gimenez and two other prospects.

Wow. I did not see that coming. Assuming they can sign Lindor to a long term deal and mood music seems positive on that, then I love this trade.

Take a bow Steve Cohen

Gimenez, Amed Rosario and prospects. So, clearing out the home-grown SS pipeline for an all-star.

Here's your Debbie Downer moment: How have those All-Star Cleveland infielders work for the Mets in the past? There. I've said it. Now to be gloomy for the next year or two the next time he slumps.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Gimenez, Amed Rosario and prospects. So, clearing out the home-grown SS pipeline for an all-star.

Here's your Debbie Downer moment: How have those All-Star Cleveland infielders work for the Mets in the past? There. I've said it. Now to be gloomy for the next year or two the next time he slumps.

The thought of a slump or Lindor picking up one of those peculiar season ending injuries which only seems to effect Mets player has crossed my mind

But for now I'm going to give into positivity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Mets are apparently also interested in Mariners 3B Kyle Seager. Guess they didn't learn from the last time they did a big trade with Mariners...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Sorry for the cross-posting guys, but anyone here interested in doing fantasy NHL this year?
    we need numbers in the hockey forum to keep a league going.

• Advertisement

Hopefully he's gone soon. Just an exec. Replaceable. Geeze first Steve Philips now this guy.

Hopefully he's gone soon. Just an exec. Replaceable. Geeze first Steve Philips now this guy.

And he's gone. 100% correct. That kind of behavior cannot be tolerated

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30741273/new-york-mets-fire-gm-jared-porter-wake-report-sent-explicit-texts-images

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Kirby Yates and George Springer sign for the Blue Jays. Both great signings. There was word of Brantley too but didn't happen in the end. Things are looking up in Toronto.

RIP Hank Aaron. Died today at 86. Great hitter, the kind you'd always stop what you were doing to watch when he stood at the plate.

RIP Hank Aaron. Died today at 86. Great hitter, the kind you'd always stop what you were doing to watch when he stood at the plate.

Very sad news. A genuine Baseball great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

More Toronto signings - Steven Matz from the Mets, and Marcus Semien from the A's. Can't say I know much about either of them.

Waitsian wrote: »
    More Toronto signings - Steven Matz from the Mets, and Marcus Semien from the A's. Can't say I know much about either of them.

Matz, very prone. Has shown in flashes what he is capable of but inconsistence has dogged him. Last year he was awful.

In his final year before FA, so considering this I think the Mets did well

Any thoughts on how the season will get played this year? Do we think teams will have open travel, or will cross time zone travel be minimized like last season?

Any thoughts on how the season will get played this year? Do we think teams will have open travel, or will cross time zone travel be minimized like last season?

Depends where the US is with the numbers vaccinated and in particular the numbers of players vaccinated.

At the moment the vaccination programme is a mess. My gut feeling is that cross time zone travel will be limited

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. Hopefully they only announce the calendar up until All Star Weekend, and then re-evaluate.
    18 games against the Rockies will get boring

Advertisement