Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Watts

• 04-01-2020 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else has read any of his books of watched/listened to any of his lectures/seminars on YouTube. He's very big on trying to live life in the present moment or the eternal now. I understand the concept of it but actually getting there is a very difficult task.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Alan Watts had been popular in the San Francisco Bay Area of California during the 1960s-early 1970s. His works focused on introducing Eastern philosophy and religion to a Western audience. This occurred mostly during the Vietnam Protest Era, and may be viewed as one theme in vogue during that time, but not so much today. In some ways, his residence and death in Druid Heights, California, symbolized the end of an era.

Makes me wonder how Alan Watts may differ with Jean-Paul Sartre when comparing and contrasting Sartre's Western view of "being and nothingness" with the Eastern view of Watts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Just wondering if anyone else has read any of his books of watched/listened to any of his lectures/seminars on YouTube. He's very big on trying to live life in the present moment or the eternal now. I understand the concept of it but actually getting there is a very difficult task.

Sounds somewhat like stoicism maybe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Voltex wrote: »

Are there similarities between the Watts version of Zen Buddhism and that of Zeno of Citium's Stoicism? Nassim Taleb compared them: “A Stoic is a Buddhist with attitude.”

`ive listened to some of his stuff on youtube and I like it.
    He says that he does not trust anyone who appears to seem holier than thou.
    Im flawed, you're flawed, lets meet in the middle and compromise.
    Very fitting when you see Martin and varadkar trying to appear unflawed!!

rusty cole wrote: »
    Im flawed, you're flawed...
    In a somewhat different way regarding bias, reminds me of what Max Weber suggested: No one is value free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

rusty cole wrote: »
    `ive listened to some of his stuff on youtube and I like it.
    He says that he does not trust anyone who appears to seem holier than thou.
    Im flawed, you're flawed, lets meet in the middle and compromise.
    Very fitting when you see Martin and varadkar trying to appear unflawed!!

Yeah I like the way he approaches things at the start of one of his lectures he says that he's not guru and he doesn't intend to be one. He says that he's an entertainer and he's just giving his interpretation of certain philosophies and that ultimately you decide what they mean.

Fathom wrote: »
    Omar Khayyam's philosophy, too.

I'd equate him a little bit with Eckhart Tolle as I've been listening to a few of his audiobooks. I think it's fascinating stuff especially when he talks about the ego and how we identify with it and how it rules us in a certain way.

Although when I try to talk to people about it they think I'm a little crazy but, as he says - "How you are seen by others turns into how you see yourself". So you've just got to get out of that mindset and once you do peoples opinions of you won't define who you are.

Voltex wrote: »

Don't know a whole lot about stoicism tbh, I feel like I'm just scratching the surface with what I've learned so far.

The ego is psychoanalytic. Freud promoted it. Case study based. Prescientific. Convenience samples. Not representative or generalizable to a population. Eckhart Tolle was spiritual, and if I read him right, Western. Whereas Watts was spiritual too, but Eastern (Zen-Buddhism). Tolle and Watts were faith based, not science.

Interesting but, if I'm interrupting their works correctly that is the whole point. Science can't explain everything for example the difference between me and other person can't be put into words. Sure you can point out the physical differences but the differences between our personalities are much harder to describe.

Also I think their interpretations of the "voice" in our heads is the most plausible one I've heard but, I must admit that I haven't listened to or read any other interpretations. I'm also wondering if science can explain any philosophical theories? Forgive my ignorance but all of this is relatively new to me but it's great to get different opinions or perspectives on these things.

I'm also wondering if science can explain any philosophical theories?
    Perhaps we might want to differentiate between philosophy and theory? Additionally, there is also the philosophy of science, yet another domain.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Is he the same as the Canadian conspiracy theorist, Alan Watts?

Alan Watts referenced in the OP cause of death: Congestive heart failure
    Date of death: November 16, 1973
    Place of death: Druid Heights, CA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Alan Watts discussed here was a different person than Alan Watt, a Scottish-Canadian conspiracy theorist, who runs the online conspiratorial ministry, Cutting Through The Matrix.

You know of him? Its stunning that an Irish person would know who Alan Watt is given conspiracies aren't big here.

You know of him? Its stunning that an Irish person would know who Alan Watt is given conspiracies aren't big here.
    Methinks both were esoteric in Eire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Notable works:
    The Way of Zen (1957)
    Tao: The Watercourse Way (1975)

Other books by Watts that I thought were a good read :

"The Book- On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are"

"Out Of Your Mind".

"Become What You Are"

Was there an Alan Watts cult in Northern California? Or was he anti-cult?

Grand questions. I would attempt a comprehensive post, but I would probably be timed out and lose it.

Advertisement