Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Playstation Classic

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Then it'll be a question of the available storage.
    NES and SNES games are only a few megabytes, with CD audio PS games could be a lot bigger.
    Unless there's a way to solder in an SD card holder we'll probably be limited to swapping out titles and stripping out the streaming audio to save space.

...maybe thats why the line up is full of crap..to make it easier to choose what to delete to free up space !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    Find a PSTV on <3.68 firmware, and that's something that's worth your money. Circa €100 or so for a system that'll work with DS3 controllers, pretty much ALL the PS1 games you want, compatibility with the vast majority of Vita games, compatibility with all the PSP games, and other systems too.

The PS Classic, really isn't worth it in comparison.

I should be good to go, my PSTV is on 3.65

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭Inviere

I should be good to go, my PSTV is on 3.65

So h-encore is the exploit you want :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    So h-encore is the exploit you want :)

WTF?

Do humans actually do this stuff??

Very confusing.

Any help with this would be gratefully received.

Remember, any assistance must be given with the expectation of an idiot for an audience.

WTF?

Do humans actually do this stuff??

Very confusing.

Any help with this would be gratefully received.

Remember, any assistance must be given with the expectation of an idiot for an audience.

Oh, you're in luck so Cidey. Apparently ENSO is compatible with 3.65, meaning a permanent hack
    Note that the h-encore exploit chain is not “persistent” (meaning it does not remain installed after a reboot). For devices on firmware version 3.65, this is fortunately only a temporary restriction until Ensō is installed on a later page. For devices on 3.67 or 3.68, you will, unfortunately, need to perform a small portion of these instructions (which will be indicated) after every reboot until a new persistent exploit is developed.

https://vita.hacks.guide/installing-h-encore.html

• Advertisement

As for installing the exploit, I'd say Doge is your man...he done it there quite recently. When I hacked my 3.60 Vita it was a different exploit, so not sure about how the one you need is installed.

I'll try it later on, I need to find the right USB cable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So if I was to go down the PSTV route is it hard to set up and all that once I have , I modded an old PSP years ago and got it to play snes games , but it was a bit of a ballache

So if I was to go down the PSTV route is it hard to set up and all that once I have , I modded an old PSP years ago and got it to play snes games , but it was a bit of a ballache

As far as I can make out, the below is the current definitive situation re Vita/PSTV Modding.

If on firmware <3.60 - you should update to official 3.60
    If on firmware 3.60* - you can install Henkaku Enso (permanent cfw)
    If on firmware 3.61-3.68 - you can install H-encore (non permanent)
    If on firmware 3.69 - you can't do anything, yet. Exploit for 3.69 is currently private.

*if on 3.60, you can update to a specially modified 3.65 in order to gain access to higher firmware games. You can only update to this special 3.65 if on an exploited 3.60 though, it won't work if you try to install it from anything else. I haven't bothered with this as I don't feel the need to, it's really only for higher firmware Vita games.

If you're undecided about staying on 3.60 and are thinking about going to 3.68, read this.

Checked mine there and it's on 3.68

• Advertisement

Checked mine there and it's on 3.68

So H-encore for you. There's tons of tutorials on YT, and written tuts available. Apparently it's quite a bit easier these days (Doge did it the original way on release and said it was involved enough), as people have written automation tools to do it, so look one of those up.

Oh dear....

This would seem to be a SoC, rather than Vita/PSTV based...so software emulation is a given. Not only that, but software emulation that doesn't offer upscaled resolutions, nor display filters...so this is going to look like absolute arse on a tv folks. The upshot is, by not being based on Vita tech, it'll be hacked very swiftly I'd imagine. Can't say it appeals to me in the slightest, I'll stick with RetroArch with the Beetle HW core...at least that was the games not only play nice, but they look a whole lot nicer too.
    It’s never a guarantee that a plug-and-play system like this will get the emulation right, but from my time jumping around between the PlayStation Classic’s games, it seems like this part is good enough. The games look and sound accurate, their mid-90s jagged pixels looking like you could grate a block of cheese with them. (A listing of licenses for open-source software accessible in the PlayStation Classic’s menu said that it uses the open-source PlayStation emulator PCSX ReARMed.)
    “Bare-bones” is probably the most accurate summation I can give of the PlayStation Classic so far. There are no special screen borders or graphic display options. There’s a QR code that will load up manuals on the PlayStation website, but it wasn’t functional during the preview event. There’s a screensaver option that will dim the screen after a few minutes. Even the game selection menu itself is strictly utilitarian; there’s no nostalgic theme song or other cute additions.

https://kotaku.com/playstation-classic-plays-fine-but-it-s-a-bare-bones-e-1830294616

Sounds like a complete waste of money.
    Glad I cancelled my pre-order so.
    PSTV FTW! (if I ever get it working!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So uses a pretty crappy emulator and insults you with pal versions of some games.

File under waste of time.

PCSX ReARMed is a fork of PCSX Reloaded. It differs from the latter in that it has special optimizations for systems that have an ARM architecture-based CPU.
    The PCSX ReARMed core's core provided FPS is 60 for NTSC games. 50 for PAL games

https://docs.libretro.com/library/pcsx_rearmed/

This isn't reflective of a €100 product at all. Since the initial announcement with the four games, things have really gone south for the PS classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Its all very sloppy really, cynical cash grab. At this stage I'd not be surprised to find an ATGames logo on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,316 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Cancelled my pre-order. Might look to pick up a Vita TV, but I can only see them going up in price now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,234 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Did anyone here ever buy a Playstation PSIO to load bits and pieces from an SD card?

It's weird, seems like it would be something really popular but I never hear any mention of it in the same way I do everdrives etc.

Edit - ah, you need to perform a mod on your PS1 mainboard for it to work, that would explain it.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Did anyone here ever buy a Playstation PSIO to load bits and pieces from an SD card?

It's weird, seems like it would be something really popular but I never hear any mention of it in the same way I do everdrives etc.

Edit - ah, you need to perform a mod on your PS1 mainboard for it to work, that would explain it.

Relikk has one, showed me it working a while back...the bees knees.

• Advertisement

I think your man selling the psio being located in Australia doesn't help the products popularity either.
    I debated picking one up before to resurrect the childhood ps1 but never got around to it in the end

So I suppose the obvious question is how soon will we be able to add our own games on it , and will have a memory to do so

If it's system on a chip it'll be moddable within days and a little longer for a nice gui to make the process easier.
    As for expandable memory, I'd say there'll be a handy enough way to connect a memory stick. The Nintendo mini had a way of connecting an external usb stick.https://snesclassicmods.com/add-more-storage-with-external-usb-hard-drive-mod-for-snes-classic-mini/

So I suppose the obvious question is how soon will we be able to add our own games on it , and will have a memory to do so

As well as adding games once its hacked (which I'd imagine will be very quickly being SoC based), I'd imagine you'll be able to dump the Jap/US nand images on there to at least play the different lineups, and at 60Hz.

If that's the case I may pick it up eventually , beats the hassle of hooking up my old psone (if it's still even working)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If you're going to mod it would you not go down the PSTV route for similar money?

Judging by the performance of the PlayStation Classic, it's comforting to know @tGames found new employment following years of making pitiful Sega clones. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭megaten

PCSX-Rearmed is pretty good for low powered devices. Had a version of it years ago on an old GP2X Caanoo and it played 2D games great despite having an ancient arm processor in it.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    If you're going to mod it would you not go down the PSTV route for similar money?

For me it's whatever is the easiest as I'm not that computer/hacker savy at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭Doge

o1s1n wrote: »

Was just about to post this video, apparently you can send your PS1 PCB to the guys to have the mod done, not sure if it's just in Australia though.

Advertisement