Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2018/2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

and a fair , fine day.. a pale golden sunrise over the calm mountains and a deep sweet silence ... gentle day

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Anyone else feel that winter 2018/2019 is over? As far as I'm concerned it's game over. So I would now prefer to see some decent spring weather and mildness rather than days of cold muck. What a disappointing winter. Never delivered despite all the expectations. For me it is the winter of cold and snow foreasts getting pushed from one week to the next to the next. Many forecasters got it completely wrong.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Going to be a quiet week in here!

Still one for month for something (more) wintry to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

Anyone else feel that winter 2018/2019 is over? As far as I'm concerned it's game over. So I would now prefer to see some decent spring weather and mildness rather than days of cold muck. What a disappointing winter. Never delivered despite all the expectations. For me it is the winter of cold and snow foreasts getting pushed from one week to the next to the next. Many forecasters got it completely wrong.

The most disappointing winter yet. And yes, there will be a massive post mortem as to why they got it so wrong. At least expectations for next winter should be much lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

All the talk of winter muck, yet it's 2 degrees, sunny and I had to defrost my car. Pretty wintery to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

If you bet on an Irish winter being without a significant snow event (e.g. lying snow for, say, 3 days+) you will be right probably 80% of the time. So with this winter only having a month to go you are far more likely than not correct that winter is over from a snow perspective. But as last year showed you can have an epic snow spell in early March so you simply cannot be certain (or anything like that) on 11 Feb that winter is over.

In defence of winter 2019 there was lying snow in much of the country at the end of Jan / start of Feb. For example even here in suburban Cork we woke up to 2 inches of snow on roads and gardens in 30 Jan. About 50% melted by nightfall but there was still lying snow going to bed at night. I know for a fact we didn't have anything as good as that for 6 years from Dec 1998 to Dec 2004. From Dec 2004 we wouldn't see snow again until Jan 2010.

So in other words, arguably winter 2019 delivered down here better than 11 out of 12 winters from 1998 to 2010.

Though I accept that even the 30 Jan event was, in reality, small beer and of course with some of the model output we really were hoping for much, much better.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

catrat12 wrote: »
    There is no way winter is done yet

It's over, it really is... nothing but mild tempts, wind and rain for the next two weeks, at least winter 19/20 can't be any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Can anyone predict what will be the hottest weeks of the year this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Can anyone predict what will be the hottest weeks of the year this summer

Lotto numbers too?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Lotto numbers too?

Based on past weather, thought people in this thread might have an idea of what would be likely to be the top hottest weeks, I mean there’s only three months in the season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

+1 Lets burn down the observatory met eireann so this never happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Based on past weather, thought people in this thread might have an idea of what would be likely to be the top hottest weeks, I mean there’s only three months in the season!

There's a Met Eireann climate summary PDF that's pretty useful for this:
    https://met.ie/climate-ireland/SummaryClimAvgs.pdf

As you'd expect, July is the hottest month on average, so that's likely to be the one with the hottest weeks.

May is the sunniest month on average though, so June is usually a good shout as having the best balance between hot and sunny, leading to real scorchers.

April through June are the driest months on average too.

It's unlikely when you say "top hottest weeks" that you're actually only interested in the weeks with the highest temperatures, I would assume what you really want to know is when there's a better chance for dry, hot, and sunny weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I saw snow fall and turn everywhere white in the month of May.
    Anyone who thinks winter is over could be in for a big shock yet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

RobertKK wrote: »

But May isn't Winter....

This Winter season won't produce anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

RobertKK wrote: »

Similarly I seen it in April too, remember it snowed all day and I was looking out at it through the school window.

Big fluffy flake's, swirling around it was a nice distraction from confirmation preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

Winter is far from over.

I saw hail on Saturday in Sligo turn the place white for an hour

No it will be a mild week but it wont last and we will be back on the cold side next week.

Could be mixed precipitation once again and single digit temperatures

No long snowy blasts but wintry showers are possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What an absolutely glorious day. Its been a while since I've actually felt a bit of warmth of the sunshine. Birds in song all day. This has been a really enjoyable winter for me, 3 or 4 cold nights at most. Feeling summer vibes now :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If no snow lies on the ground within the next 17 days, it will be the first time I've lived through a winter without seeing lying snow, even the crappiest of dustings. Every winter since 1973 has had some sort of dusting, this year so far nothing.

We had a slight dusting of graupel the other week but it didn't even cover the grass, more so tarmac and top of cars and bin lids, so in my book doesn't count as a covering or dusting of snow. I would consider graupal a closer cousin to hail rather than snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What an absolutely glorious day. Its been a while since I've actually felt a bit of warmth of the sunshine. Birds in song all day. This has been a really enjoyable winter for me, 3 or 4 cold nights at most. Feeling summer vibes now :)

Sunny periods but felt absolutely feking freezing here due to wind chill today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Smashing day in Portarlington with some warmth from the Sun too , nice and calm also

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pauldry wrote: »
    Winter is far from over.

I saw hail on Saturday in Sligo turn the place white for an hour

No it will be a mild week but it wont last and we will be back on the cold side next week.

Could be mixed precipitation once again and single digit temperatures

No long snowy blasts but wintry showers are possible

The models for the rest of February are mostly mild or very mild. The ensembles show temperatures to remain above average every single day between now and 27th of February. There could be a cooler day around the 18th and 19th of February, but even then the temperatures may still be a degree or so above normal. At this stage I think any chance of snow will be in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    The models for the rest of February are mostly mild or very mild. The ensembles show temperatures to remain above average every single day between now and 27th of February. There could be a cooler day around the 18th and 19th of February, but even then the temperatures may still be a degree or so above normal. At this stage I think any chance of snow will be in March.

As Pad123456789 said earlier in the thread, if mediocre, dank cold, which to me often feels far more unpleasant than the real thing from the east or north, is all that is on offer, then bring on the mild.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    As Pad123456789 said earlier in the thread, if mediocre, dank cold, which to me often feels far more unpleasant than the real thing from the east or north, is all that is on offer, then bring on the mild.

Thanks Twoeiric 3456789

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Summer vibes FFS :pac: summer is 14 weeks away.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Summer vibes FFS :pac: summer is 14 weeks away.

So? I didnt say it was summer, or near summer! Blue Sky's, sun shining, birds tweeting away gives me summer vibes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

So? I didnt say it was summer, or near summer! Blue Sky's, sun shining, birds tweeting away gives me summer vibes.

Maybe I misunderstood but the "now" at the end of your post could be considered a suggestion that summer was just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭pad199207

Naturally expectations this winter were always going to be high after last feb/mar. Incidentally this summer will have HUGE expectations after 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pad199207 wrote: »
    Naturally expectations this winter were always going to be high after last feb/mar. Incidentally this summer will have HUGE expectations after 2018.

Like I said in a previous post, what made the period 2008/09 to 2010/11 seem so amazing in regards to Winters was that they got more epic each time until the second half of Winter 2010/11 then Winter 2011/12 was the biggest disappointment ever (going by previous threads).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i always think we can nearly smell summer if you get a bright mild paddys day. its bright til around 7:10pm thats not a winters day or daylight in my book. 10 days later the clocks usually go forward, that to me is summer time straight away, the length of day means its like summer bright til almost 8:30 in evening. i hate snow after 1st March , winters grip is very loose by paddys day because of day lenght even last year when we got a bitter cold and snow on paddys day , it cant last on ground so better off with snow in december and january really.

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i always think we can nearly smell summer if you get a bright mild paddys day. its bright til around 7:10pm thats not a winters day or daylight in my book. 10 days later the clocks usually go forward, that to me is summer time straight away, the length of day means its like summer bright til almost 8:30 in evening. i hate snow after 1st March , winters grip is very loose by paddys day because of day lenght even last year when we got a bitter cold and snow on paddys day , it cant last on ground so better off with snow in december and january really.

Kind of same as how I think to be honest. We've two seasons and they change around March and October . Think it was 2015 we had a really warm period mid march? Thats only 4 weeks away :):)

Advertisement