Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Decided to go with the retroupgrades option in the end, sure we'll see how it goes!

My PCE still has that bizarre issue where you have to have a composite cable from the DIN connector connected up for RGB to send video signal out the Ext port. Doesn't matter what it's connected to too, just has to be grounded in a terminal.

Be interesting to see if this device does anything to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

For my 'wonder what that looks like' with the TurboGrafx-16 I was given, i went the cheap and prob not great route of this adapter as I don't forsee myself using the console much;

Believe it uses a Sega MS/Genesis 2 RGB SCART Cable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Three days troubleshooting in my spare time now....three, poxy days.....all because of lazy, ****, 'instructions.' All will become clear in my next thread....😡

Master of the Universe

New A1200 RGB cable came in the post yesterday, connected everything up to a monitor and it sprung to life! Greeted with the purple screen asking for a Workbench disk.

I honestly couldn't fully remember what was actually inside, so popped the back cover off to be greeted with a compact flash drive adapter with a 4Gb CF card in it. So everything seems to still be there to get it all up and running again.

Unfortunately all my CF card readers have long since been tossed, so that's where my progress ended last night.

Ordered a new CF card reader, downloaded WinUAE / a Workbench 3.1 rom and have it all ready to go. So next step once that reader arrives is to build a fresh Workbench image on that CF card and see if I can get it booting in the Amiga.

Actually quite excited to get this going as I've finally a bit of desk space to set it up.

Master of the Universe

CF card reader came today so I've been messing about with WinUAE for about four hours now.

Have gone from not having a bean how to use it to having my CF card properly partitioned and now installing Workbench from within a virtual machine.

I tell you what, its certainly not straightforward!

Currently sitting on this screen..the HD light is flashing so I take it it's still doing something..!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Oddly, that did not work.

Workbench appeared to install correctly on the CF card, I went through all the configurations and set it up.

Restarted WinUAE expecting everything to finally be done but was instead greeted with a blank screen and a crash.

Rebooted the software completely and any time I use a configuration with this CF card it makes WinUAE freeze up and go incredibly slow. Tried to start it up but absolutely no joy.

Seems the workbench install part of the process somehow corrupted. I do not have it in me to go through that whole card cleaning/partition creating process again so it'll time to call it a day and just hit ebay for a preconfigured card. I see our friend Sordan in Ireland actually has them in and around 20 quid. (I'd have paid 20 quid not to have gone through all that this evening and fail 🤣)

Two things....

The config of the emulated Amiga should start out as the A1200 to match your real Amiga obviously, but you can whack up the ram, and various other settings that will speed the whole process up so it only takes seconds. It won't change anything with the install, so once done you just transfer your cf card to the real Amiga and away you go.

You need to save that config in WinUAE, and then manually load it after restarting WinUAE too...or it'll default to whatever config it comes with (in my experience anyway).

Also, I remember reading last year or so that WinUAE doesn't play nicely with all cf readers either. But in saying that, there's usually an error thrown at the partitioning stage iirc. Make sure you're running WinUAE as an admin.

I'd start WinUAE, manually load the saved config of a 1200, increased ram, floppy drive set to max speed, CPU cycles set to fastest, etc. Then connect the cf drive, attach it as a hard disk, make sure it's set to df0 and bootable, and click start.

Master of the Universe

Yeah it's a funny one, it was all going great, with the CF working away in WinUAE and the little HD icon flashing the whole time so you know it's active. I was following a very well put together step by step guide.

I was thinking it might have become disconnected during the workbench install process (cheapo CF reader perhaps) and corrupted but WinUAE seemed to be pretty happy with the install the whole way through.

Actually tried it in the Amiga last night as a matter of interest but didn't work at all.

In my bleary eyed annoyance I went with the lazy man option and ordered a CF on ebay instead. On the plus side, it comes with Workbench 3.2.2 installed and some new 3.2.2 kickstarter roms so that'll be interesting to try out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

If the CF card doesn't have the RDB setup correctly then it will still boot using WinUAE but can fail with real hardware, make sure to hit Enter after making changes in the textboxes or the changes will be ignored.

Rather than endless swapping CF cards around while you get setup you like, better off setting up everything on a virtual disc in WinUAE first and then copying everything over to the mounted CF card using Dopus when you're happy with the setup.

Obviously the CF card will need to be partitioned and bootable before this though. This is a pretty good guide, you can ignore PFS3 stuff if you like. Its a better filesystem but not essential to have.

https://johan.driessen.se/posts/Setting-up-a-Compact-Flash-card-with-Classic-Workbench-and-WHDLoad-for-Amiga-600-1200/

The default installation is fairly bland and missing a lot of essential applications to I'd go with a BestWB install for a good minimal setup - using one of their prebuilt 4GB images is the easy way to get started.

Don't forget to check out the latest Mega AGS images for huge game bundles, or just pull the individual ones you want from WHDownload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Got a Philips CDI off of adverts a few weeks ago "for parts" for €70 which I didn't think was a bad deal, even though it's not the best machine in the world. I legit wanted to get it up and running to play the awful Hotel Mario and Zelda Wand of Gamalon games for myself on legit hardware.

Anyway yesterday I replaced the main drive belt in the disc drive and replaced the laser assembly as the previous one wouldn't focus on discs properly no matter how much I adjusted the focus pot.

Replacement was only a tenner from AliExpress as Philips used the same laser assembly in a bunch of their drives and CD players from the era so replacements are easy enough to find.

Now I just need to wait for pay day so that I can try to actually get a controller for the thing!

I himmed and hawed about buying that myself. In the end, given the cost of repair parts, a controller, and an mpeg card, I kinda felt it all added up to more or less the same as just buying a complete one. I've a massive queue of jobs so I was kinda relieved I talked myself out of it 😁

Glad you got it up and running, always nice to see repairs saving machines...even if it is a cdi 😄

I don't think I'm arsed getting a video card for it as I can play VCDs on a bunch of other hardware if I so choose. I know that I'm losing out on playing the likes of Mad Dog McCree but... eeeeh.

Also I'm not going to buy a legit controller I'm going to ether buy or build a CDI Bluetooth adapter, which is essentially an Arduino powered device that'll let me use pretty much any bluetooth controller that I have on the CDI itself.

Master of the Universe

More excitement (!) trying to get my A1200 going.

New CF card with 3.2.2 installed along with new 3.2.2 kickstarter roms arrived today. Replaced everything and it appears the kickstarter roms aren't working. No life out of them. Console boots, harddrive light comes on and all the rest, but greeted with a black screen.

Thought it might be my AV hookup so threw a PSX into the setup instead and that works fine. Maybe a broken RGB cable for the A1200? nope, all the connections are grand. Tried it on another TV too just in case and getting the same thing. A good solid RGB signal, but just a black screen.

Thought the new 3.2.2 roms must be DOA, so popped my old 3.1 kickstarter roms back in just to get it back to a working state and... a black screen again!

Feck, I'm just going backwards now!

The roms are all socketed correctly (you've to leave one pin empty on the left with the 3.1 roms) so I haven't a bean now what's up.

ROMS definitely installed in the right slots (Hi/Low) ?

Master of the Universe

Nope, nothing at all unfortunately.

Yep!

I did a bit of googling however and it appears I made a bit of an error with my 3.1 roms which may have actually fecked them up.

On the rom socket, there's actually 1 pin hole too many for the 3.1 roms. You've to leave the holes to the left of the rom empty and align the chip with the right side of the socket. I inserted the chips aligned to the left with the empty pin holes on the right.

It's possible this whole issue has now been caused by my new 3.2.2 roms not being compatible with my A1200 and then maybe I fried my working 3.1 roms by not aligning the pins correctly.

If that's the case it's all good as it means the issue is just the rom chips and the rest of the A1200 is fine. Here's hoping! (Other concern is perhaps a broken trace around the rom sockets)

Master of the Universe

Back from the dead!

I completely removed the CF to IDE card adapter, reseated the 3.2 ROMs, just left it a second and we now have 3.2 Kickstarter ROMs booting.

Post edited by o1s1n on

Master of the Universe

In the words of Victor Meldrew, 'I don't believe it!'

So to summarize for posterity, it was the bloody CF to IDE adapter. I got a new one with the kit I ordered on ebay, installed that intead and not only did the new copy of Workbench 3.2 work, the version I made in WinUAE myself actually worked too. I wonder has my problem all these years simply been because of a borked CF adapter?

Both sets of roms were working too, I just didn't have enough patience. If the Amiga doesn't boot a HDD, after a good 30 seconds to 1 minute of black screen the Kickstarter rom screen appears. I did not know this and after looking at darkness for 10-15 seconds I assumed they weren't working. 😅

Post edited by o1s1n on

• Advertisement

It's that weird mix of sheer relief it's working ok, and maddening fury over wasted time and money...all because of a little adapter 😊

Glad it's working 👌

Good job o1s1n!

I really should get back to messing with my A600. I got an Ethernet adapter for it recently but have yet to install it properly.

Anybody know the best frontend to use for WHDLoad?

Master of the Universe

Those caps you stuck in what must be a decade ago now finally getting some use! A big thanks to the Inviere of old 😁

Funny see the 2023 copywrite at the top, I didn't realise that version of 3.2.2 was quite so recent.

I was only just reading about the PCMCIA ethernet adapters you can get for them, really tempted now to see if I can get it online. Didn't know that was a thing at all!

Speaking of getting things online, do I remember correctly that you've a Dreamcast LAN adapter in your console? Are there still any online servers left? I keep meaning to pick one of them up too.

3.2.2.1 is available as well, hotfixes some issues in 3.2.2. But tbh the changes since 3.1 are good to have but nothing life changing, particularly for a machine running WHDload on lower resolution CRT.

To get on the 'net you can get plipboxes, plug into the parallel port and have either an ethernet port or some have Wifi. Seen a nice project demo at Amiga Ireland this year, Infinity Mod that plays streams mods.

https://youtu.be/bH7Pd4TJCc8

iGame is a decent standalone launcher if you've got a library of WHD's already. Otherwise take a look at the AmigaVision packs

AmigaVision is pretty great. That's what's going on my 1200 when I get time to upgrade it. I use it on my Mister currently.

This will have to wait. It's still ongoing. Honestly, never seen anything like it. It's a CleanScreen Sega Game Gear kit. Replacement parts arrived this week, and I've still no image on screen. Two kits now. An absolute saga if I've ever seen one. It'll make a hilarious thread, if I ever get it working. It's supposed to be a simple, drop in replacement screen, screen driver board, with a handful of quite simple wires to solder.....so you'd think...

Master of the Universe

That sounds like it should make an interesting read. Was there one thing that went particularly wrong with it?

Ive had a bizarre evening with my a1200. Thought I'd try out my PCMCIA CF card adapter with it. Stuck it into the slot with a CF card in and workbench stopped booting.

Much head scratching and trying reseating things but nothing worked. Was as if the CF card in the Amiga had become corrupt for some reason when I plugged another CF in via PCMCIA.

Hooked the CF card up to my PC and tried it in WinUAE. Amiga DOS was starting but it was throwing errors. Tried googling for about an hour but no solution. Thought it must be corrupt and I'd leave it there. Would have to have another go at building a fresh HDD for it.

Put the CF card back in the Amiga before hitting the sack and decided to switch it on just to see what happens - workbench boots 100% again! Haha.

I think for now I'm just going to stop trying anything new / fecking about with it any hardware and just enjoy it as is with all the games they are already on there!!!

Not so much a single thing no, missing product instructions, vague YouTube video instructions partly related to the product, resorting to youtube comments for info, broken parts due to gaps in my knowledge/missing instructions, replacement parts that dont work....an absolute saga that's still ongoing.

Re your 1200 and cf card issues, I don't know about the 1200 as I haven't messed around much with mine yet, but certain accelerators on the 600 will disable the pcmcia slot in order to give access to the full ram of the accelerator. Doesn't really explain the non booting issue though. Can the 1200 be set to boot from the pcmcia slot maybe, and it's trying to boot from that?

Master of the Universe

You know it's gotten serious when you've to resort to youtube comments for info! Christ.

Is that this mod kid? I'd be fairly miffed myself if a kit on the pricier side like that didnt come with decent instructions.

That's a great bit of info regarding the fast RAM by the way. I did not know that and it seems to be an issue with the A1200 too, 8Mb Fast Ram locks up the PCMCIA port and stop you from using it. Which is exactly what mine has. So I think I'll just steer clear of that port and go via the serial ports for internet / a Gotek drive if I want to do anything extra with it.

• Advertisement

That's one of the kits yeah, the previous one I bought was a V2 version with really poor info on it. The current v3 isn't working, and am finding troubleshooting time consuming and difficult.

That Amiga thing must relate to the 68E020 cpu in the 1200, because the Furia upgrade for the 600 gives that same 68E020 CPU and thats where I learned about the pcmcia trade off.

Advertisement