Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

After playing the first one on the PC at launch I was well impressed, I remember buying it for the PS and being underwhelmed, plus Super Mario 64 was out, who had time to Tomb Raid??

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Tomb Raider 1 is far superior and enjoyable to Mario 64. There, I said it :D

If you disagree you must have teh ghey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Tomb Raider 1 is far superior and enjoyable to Mario 64. There, I said it :D

If you disagree you must have teh ghey.

ObviousTroll.jpg

Don't even joke about it. What you just said can get you arrested in less liberal countries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Perhaps the Cistern level is superior to some, but otherwise Mario 64 is wonderful.
    I want it on the 3DS goddamit!
    And now I see Mario 3DS on the way I wonder if they would release both it and a 3D revision of Mario 64 on the console, given that a cheap dl from the 3DS shop could outshine a full release.

I tell you something though, Waverace could look mighty nice on it.

Just realised I'm turning threads into 3DS discussion threads, must stop, this is retrogaming after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Kal_El

At the minute im rocking out to ChronoTrigger on the SNES and Gunstar Heros on the Megadrive.
    Also got strangley addicted to Sidepocket on the Megadrive too.
    Some old Retro games are far superior to the new games IMHO!:eek:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Kal_El wrote: »
    At the minute im rocking out to ChronoTrigger on the SNES and Gunstar Heros on the Megadrive.
    Also got strangley addicted to Sidepocket on the Megadrive too.
    Some old Retro games are far superior to the new games IMHO!:eek:

No new game is better than Chrono Trigger. No way! :) Are you far into it?

If you like Gunstar Heroes, give Alien Soldier a go. The gameplay is more hardcore and complex, it's much tougher and not as straightforward but when the controls click for you its an amazing game.

My biggest tip for that is to immediately press down and A when you start to change the controls to straffing. It suddenly becomes much easier to control.

Looks fantastic too...in fact I think it's probably the nicest looking Megadrive game. Just look at this, skip to 2.08 and watch the background as it goes from outside to underground. Amazing.

I have never played Side Pocket on the MD but always wanted it. Absolutely loved the Gameboy version.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Must give Alien Soldier a proper go sometime. Was reading yours and retr0's comments over in the Sega forum about weapons and tactics to make it a bit easier. ;)

Got started on Monster World IV on the Nomad (fan translation patch so I can read the text), good game so far. Thought it bugged on me last night, after killing one monster he kept dropping gold, 7k+ worth. Sweet! But then the rechargeable battery light came on soon after, tried switching to power plug but that just reset the machine. All my gold gone. :(

Master of the Universe

Would you believe, I'm still on the same charge from when Enternow did the battery mod! You must be playing your one a lot more than I am.

I actually have it out at the moment, just blasting away on Gunstar Heroes. Are you using that Everdrive cart with yours? I think I'm going to have to put my games away into storage for about a year, so I may be picking one of them up.

Lol the same charge? How the feck can that be. :pac:

Yeah using the Everdrive, tis a godsend dude. So handy not having to swap carts about. Also plays SMS games too. Its like the flash card hdd for the Amiga.

Got a bit further into MW IV, found a chest with lashings of gold in it, killed a boss and made it to a save point. Happy days. :)

Master of the Universe

I haven't a clue how it's still going. I haven't been using it every day or anything..but I'm sure I've put at least 6-8 hours in. I left it running on a loop as well for ages just to see if it would die.

Sure it's been so long since it was charged you'd think battery memory alone would make it almost dead. Mental stuff. They're good batteries.

Can you remember where you bought your Everdrive? I think I'll invest in one once pay day rolls around.

Sure it'll be handy to have just to give things like that patched english version of Monster World IV a go.

• Advertisement

I haven't a clue how it's still going. I haven't been using it every day or anything..but I'm sure I've put at least 6-8 hours in. I left it running on a loop as well for ages just to see if it would die.

Sure it's been so long since it was charged you'd think battery memory alone would make it almost dead. Mental stuff. They're good batteries.

Can you remember where you bought your Everdrive? I think I'll invest in one once pay day rolls around.

Sure it'll be handy to have just to give things like that patched english version of Monster World IV a go.

Played for bout an hour last night so will try and track the time to see roughly how long I get from a charge as I don't play it that much either.

I got the Everdrive direct from stoneagegamer.com a while back, was the Deluxe version which is basically the Everdrive PCB inside a cart and case they provide and a 2GB SD card. They seem to be out of stock on it alot. They get them from http://krikzz.com/, the chap that actually makes them. Afaik those pictures of the pcb with the SMS pause switch on top are old - they don't come with that attached anymore but can you buy one separate and solder it on apparently if you need - for those SMS games that need the pause function.

Yeah being able to patch games and play hacks is pretty nifty.

I just put a bid on Wonderboy in MonsterWorld, a day to go, we'll see what happens...

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I just put a bid on Wonderboy in MonsterWorld, a day to go, we'll see what happens...

One of the best MD games that is imo. Unfortunately the only one I can't get working on the Everdrive so far, so have to use the proper cart. Oh how lazy these flash carts can make us (me!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Would you believe, I'm still on the same charge from when Enternow did the battery mod!

Are you serious? That was months ago!

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Are you serious? That was months ago!

Indeed! When Andrew got his he said that once the red battery light came on, it wasn't long before the console died...I'm still waiting for that red light to come on to see what he means.

I'm going to put it on now and leave it for a few hours running and time it until the battery runs out...if ever! :eek:

Indeed! When Andrew got his he said that once the red battery light came on, it wasn't long before the console died...I'm still waiting for that red light to come on to see what he means.

I'm going to put it on now and leave it for a few hours running and time it until the battery runs out...if ever! :eek:

I may have in fact created, a zero point Nomad. A ZPN for short. I'm rich, rich beyond my wildest dreams. In your face laws of thermodynamics, guess you fouled up eh Einstein....we shall see. :rolleyes::p

Master of the Universe

Awh, unfortunately it seems you didn't defy physics afterall.

After 30 minutes of play the light went red. Less than five minutes later it ran out.

Still, probably the longest I've gone without charging any handheld, ever!

Awh, unfortunately it seems you didn't defy physics afterall.

After 30 minutes of play the light went red. Less than five minutes later it ran out.

Still, probably the longest I've gone without charging any handheld, ever!

*shakes fist at laws of thermodynamics :mad:

Damn you laws of physics, damn you to hell!!!
    But then, it's all gnomes and elves after all!

Was playing Ridge Racer 7 last night, still good but not a patch on Rage Racer imho.
    Also giving Harmful Park on the PS a blast, very good, like a nuttier version of Parodius.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Was playing Ridge Racer 7 last night, still good but not a patch on Rage Racer imho.
    Also giving Harmful Park on the PS a blast, very good, like a nuttier version of Parodius.

Anything post Ridge Racer 2 is cack. (in the ridge racer world :o)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Found Harmful Park a little but too easy, was able to beat to beat it on my first go. The high res playstation 2D visuals are amazing though.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Found Harmful Park a little but too easy, was able to beat to beat it on my first go. The high res playstation 2D visuals are amazing though.

On the hardest difficulty setting? Also, when you found Ridge Racer too easy, I presume you were playing on expect with manual gear controls?

On the hardest difficulty setting? Also, when you found Ridge Racer too easy, I presume you were playing on expect with manual gear controls?

Nope on normal but I'm pretty sure it would take me less than 2 hours to blast through on hard. I've never beaten a shmup on my first go other than harmful park, usually it takes an awful lot of time to master.

I started with manual and moved to gear shift on Ridge Racer. Didn't take too many 50p's to beat that game.

I couldn't say Ridge Racer 1 was muck either, really enjoyed the time with the aarcade version it's just that it didn't hold my attention after mastering it and Daytona and Sega Rally were far more rewarding.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nope on normal but I'm pretty sure it would take me less than 2 hours to blast through on hard. I've never beaten a shmup on my first go other than harmful park, usually it takes an awful lot of time to master.

I started with manual and moved to gear shift on Ridge Racer. Didn't take too many 50p's to beat that game.

I couldn't say Ridge Racer 1 was muck either, really enjoyed the time with the aarcade version it's just that it didn't hold my attention after mastering it and Daytona and Sega Rally were far more rewarding.

I also cleared Ikaruga blindfolded while eating an apple on the toughest setting :P

Ridge Racer is truly p1ss easy, but playing on expert & using a manual gearstick in a sit down cab made for a completely different experience, you can make it a lot tougher. What I find with the game is, you just choose not to do so...its too much fun on easy when your power sliding around corners :D

Daytona is good, but its too crach & bang for it to have any longevity really for me. That being said, playing it in a sitdown cab with the volume blaring changes all that!

& again, Sega Rally is like Sega's Ridge Racer...its good fun, not too focused on ramming opponents & it plays well.

I once played a racer years ago called Speed Up, anyone ever hear of it? I remember getting hooked on it, if you came last you were eliminated, & the rest qualified to the next round. I think you just had to avoide being last, it was easy up to a point...I wonder what its like today

Thought the drifting mechanics in Sega Rally were much better than Ridge Racer. Ridge Racer it's far too easy to go into a ridiculous drift and it's way too easy to control. It does make it very accessible to anyone though and fun. Just found it far more rewarding to drift in Sega Rally since it was much harder to pull it off.

Googled Speed Up, don't remember that one.

Played a bit of Pier Solar last night, initial impressions are not bad at all. Graphics are very nice and the music/sound fx is pretty good too (presumably the enhanced CD version is even better). Gameplay itself is standard fare, walk about and talk to folk, collect stuff. Not a fan of random battles tbh so the first "combat area" was a bit of a slog, much prefer real-time combat. Turned it off after the first boss but will defo come back to it at some stage.

Monster World IV was calling me so going to try and finish that first, quality game that.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Googled Speed Up, don't remember that one.

Played a bit of Pier Solar last night, initial impressions are not bad at all. Graphics are very nice and the music/sound fx is pretty good too (presumably the enhanced CD version is even better). Gameplay itself is standard fare, walk about and talk to folk, collect stuff. Not a fan of random battles tbh so the first "combat area" was a bit of a slog, much prefer real-time combat. Turned it off after the first boss but will defo come back to it at some stage.

Monster World IV was calling me so going to try and finish that first, quality game that.

Aw is it a random battle game? :(

• Advertisement

Aw is it a random battle game? :(

Unfortunately yes, I knew that before I bought it so not surprised. Personally, I just prefer the Zelda style of combat. Walking along and suddenly being thrown into a battle with no warning is a bit of a pain. But I wouldn't knock the game because of that, some folk will love it and I've only played about an hours worth so haven't scratched the surface. I might yet come to like the battle system once I learn more about it, for example: the main character was useless for attacking against some enemies because he had no air attack but maybe that's me not understanding how to use him properly. Early days but MW IV getting precedence for now. :)

Advertisement