Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetsuit Advice

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Bought a Huub 4:4 as I have excellent buoyancy in the pool. Reasonable standard of swimmer. SUB 11 mins for 750 in openwater or 5:30 400m in the pool. The HUUB is a very comfortable suit and feels like the nicest suit I have ever swam in over the last 20 years. However I started to notice effort level had to increase in the open water and was losing time approx ( 30 secs) over 750 to swimmers I normally exit the water very close to and was even further behind in Olympics.

I race regularly enough with the same crew and with the national series you I always seem to pop out of the water with the same group. I went back to my Floor Quantum and hey presto I was exiting with the same crew of swimmers or slightly ahead. I am not saying the HUBB isn't a fast suit but the suit that was half the value was quicker. I clarified this by doing an semi objective test in the pool. 400mter repeats with a finis tempo trainer on stroke rate @ my stroke rate with the different suits. I repeated the test and reversed the order of wearing suits and found a noticeable difference.

I suppose the learning is what works for one person might not for another. I will be trying a range of suits this winter as they are both falling apart. I am considering wearing the HUUB for my Ironman based on comfort. But 3.8k isnt that long

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

more confortable is not neccesarely faster and your example confirms that nicely.
    A good read thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

Interesting P2C.

I would have thought the Huub 4:4 would be perfect for a swimmer like you so it’s very surprising to see if take 30 secs off your time!

Which Huub did you buy? Just wondering how long you got out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Don't always believe the marketing :). I purchased the suit 2012 season and have used alternating with another suit. I swim OW approx 3-4 times per week from June-September. It started showing signs of splitting at the seams during 2012 and under the arm pits and was sent back twice for repair under warranty (2years). I might send back at the end of season myself and I say I will get next season out of it as well. In relation to longevity I would rank it a bit on the brittle side but not really much different than anything else I have used. I must say I had no problems with the company and customer care was very good. Returned and repaired with no hassles. I have a friend that got his replaced twice but for bigger splits. I also no another person who had zero hassle with his suit. I purchased when they were originally launched

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

Could someone please advise wet-suit for casual summer sea swimming , kayaking and paddle boarding? The goal is to to avoid rented wet-suits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Could someone please advise wet-suit for casual summer sea swimming , kayaking and paddle boarding? The goal is to to avoid rented wet-suits

Hopefully you won't get pinged for a thread resurrection.

It really depends on how much swimming you plan to do. I picked up a very cheap suit for coasteering and kayaking which is fine to do occasional swims with. It is no where near as flexible as my swim wetsuit but is far more durable and able to take knocks and dings. Its a 3mm suit.

The neoprene in swimming suits has a fine coating and tears easily.

Advertisement