Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 2020

• 25-05-2020 11:48am

Anything think if gaelforce west will go ahead or not in September.Would like to know as soon as possible so can book accomodation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

i dont know , sorry i know that answer is no use to you,
    i cant see how a race of that scale can go ahead, lots of competitors, bussed to the start, hanging round before and after, all the usual stuff,
    but its only may now, whats going to be happening in september , who knows ?

if i was booking something i'd make sure that i could cancel,

Great news that Gaelforce is going ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ettravel

I've signed up for this but also recreational runner, is there an old forum about to give me an idea of what's ahead, gear required etc.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Paddigol

The Gaelforce Events Facebook page is ominously quiet - am I mad to presume that this will still go ahead as rescheduled? Connemara going off without a hitch was good news, but obviously since then we've had a couple of spikes and localised lockdown. Don't suppose anyone has seen any updates that I've missed??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i guess nobody can give you an answer for this as this can all change very quickly. what i would say is all the races that have not cancelled yet, make an effort to hold the race , so unless the authorties tell them no ,i guess its fair to assume they run.
    i would assume race its on but be prepared it might not happen and all the training you do do will help you for the future so no real loss.

for the organicers all this is even more nerve wrecking than yourself and they have no idea whats going to happen.

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote: »
    i guess nobody can give you an answer for this as this can all change very quickly. what i would say is all the races that have not cancelled yet, make an effort to hold the race , so unless the authorties tell them no ,i guess its fair to assume they run.
    i would assume race its on but be prepared it might not happen and all the training you do do will help you for the future so no real loss.

for the organicers all this is even more nerve wrecking than yourself and they have no idea whats going to happen.

Yeah, fully appreciate that. Will have no issue if the decision is made to cancel - such is life at the moment unfortunately. Just the closer we get to the date the more anxious I am that bad news will be sprung from nowhere. I suppose my post was the online equivalent of saying a few Novenas!

Fingers crossed that things calm down over the next week/ two so that decisions can be made by organisers/ authorities with a bit more confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

they seemed to have run the connemara race very well from what i heard,
    so contrary to my original post , i think, short of it being taken out of their hands by some kind of lockdown, itl go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭john_johnerson

Looking fairly ominous now... Cancellation incoming I'd say.

Looking fairly ominous now... Cancellation incoming I'd say.

Don't envy them having to make a decision on the basis of Govt. advice. It's way to ambiguous to be of help to businesses and event organisers who are contributing massively to keeping the economy ticking over and who are playing a huge role in keeping a semblance of normality going in peoples' lives.

How much of a blow would the loss of this event be to Westport. Really feel sorry for local business owners there.

But... clinging to shreds of positivity/ optimism... the Govt. position is that;

"sports events and matches are to revert to behind-closed-doors with no spectators allowed. There should also be strict avoidance of social gatherings before and after games or fixtures"

As such, GFW being a participant sports event and not a spectator one, there is hope that applying the letter of the law the organisers could reasonably go ahead with it.

Pigs ear of crisis management by the Govt. in recent weeks though, IMHO.

Officially cancelled now. Entries valid for 2021 instead.

• Advertisement

Disappointing but predictable.

Gonna be a long winter

Race is going ahead on the 11th with a different route. No croagh Patrick.

Advertisement