Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Potential for wind and snow (NW) 4th, 5th December - DISCUSSION ONLY

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

18Z for Sunday looks good again

183137.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

And the rollercoaster begins...

This is a normal occurrence in rough weather. The island can usually be cut off for days.

Indeed in 1974 they were cut off from the mainland for nearly two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭ff9999

Enderman wrote: »
    18Z for Sunday looks good again

183137.png

mmmmmmm I like that encroaching purple :D

http://news.sky.com/home/video/weather/video/15009839

Sky weather showing Snow for higher ground on Thursday. West Donegal and Scotland.
    Above 200 metres.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Probably the pick of the 0Z run. Gut feeling tells me i jumped on the Roller Coaster too soon. :)

183142.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Still a real lack of certainty on the models as to where the low will develop, some runs have it deepening as it crosses us, other don't have it develop until its well out in the north sea

Holland and Belgium will be at real danger from a North Sea storm surge on this mornings GFS again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Harps wrote: »
    Still a real lack of certainty on the models as to where the low will develop, some runs have it deepening as it crosses us, other don't have it develop until its well out in the north sea

Holland and Belgium will be at real danger from a North Sea storm surge on this mornings GFS again

I bet it will do what most interesting looking lows do. Travel further north.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

irish1967 wrote: »
    Donegal's busiest road was flooded last night at an area called 'The Dry Arch'. :)

Although todayfm described it as the Dry Arch Roundabout between Stranorlar and Derry. For those who dont know its in Letterkenny.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

irish-stew wrote: »
    Although todayfm described it as the Dry Arch Roundabout between Stranorlar and Derry. For those who dont know its in Letterkenny.

:D

But there IS a Dry Arch Roundabout, isn't there? Unless I've been seeing things on my way north.... But maybe that's not where the flooding was.

On a slight aside, maybe you weather boffins can enlighten me - when did the new weather stations appear on the Sea Area Forecast? Sherkin Island Auto? Mace Point? Never heard of 'em. I'm normally an obsessive listener to the SAF, but haven't heard it in a while. Have they done away with some other weather stations?

No word of snow on met eireanns forecast for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Pangea wrote: »
    No word of snow on met eireanns forecast for the weekend.

The snow risk is mainly for Sunday-monday... u really think theyd mention it now?... on THURSDAY!?

ha

;):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭cml387

Iancar29 wrote: »
    The snow risk is mainly for Sunday-monday... u really think theyd mention it now?... on THURSDAY!?

ha

Met Eireann's outlook goes on to Monday. No snow.Cold though.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

cml387 wrote: »

ha

Met Eireann's outlook goes on to Monday. No snow.Cold though.
    What ever happens the south east won't get none if it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

ha

Today is Wednesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Seen no snow ether on the weather for the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

Things are actually looking much better from todays run , The colder air will stick to us for longer and there will be snow next week if the charts turn out to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

Things are actually looking much better from todays run , The colder air will stick to us for longer and there will be snow next week if the charts turn out to be true.
    No snow for the south east though I bet

Looking at the latest models I would say that later Sunday and through Monday we will see snow down to around 100 m in the northeast to around 350 m in the southwest.

It's looking like a northwest -southeast gradient throughout the country, leading to strong west to northwesterlies at all levels. 500-1000 thickness ranges from around 524 dam in the northeast to 532 dam in the southwest, with partial thicknesses (850-1000) in the 1290-1300 range. I would be looking for 522 dam and 1280 dam, respectively, for snow to all levels.

850 hPa theta-w of around 2 °C in all but the south, and 850 theta-e of around 13-14 °C, along with good boundary layer mixing, would suggest that any showers that feed in from the northwest will be mostly snow above around 100 m for northern Connaught, Ulster and north Leinster, rising to around 350 m further southwest, but there could be some lowering of these levels in the squalliest of the showers.

ha

No I never thought they would mention it, I'm just telling yas what its in the forecast ;)

Su Campu wrote: »
    Today is Wednesday!

Hahahaha.... WOOPS? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

North east? F*ck. Last thing I need next week is snow... I know it's impossible to tell but is this a temporary event or something that could get prolonged?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

will dublin get snow and if so how much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Su Campu wrote: »
    850 hPa theta-w of around 2 °C in all but the south, and 850 theta-e of around 13-14 °C, along with good boundary layer mixing

Gobbledygook translation? If I told you an airliner crashed because of an ELAC 1+2 fault combined with ADIRU misalignment, and dropping out of Normal law and a sustained alpha above 30 degrees would you know what I meant?

Confab wrote: »
    Gobbledygook translation? If I told you an airliner crashed because of an ELAC 1+2 fault combined with ADIRU misalignment, and dropping out of Normal law and a sustained alpha above 30 degrees would you know what I meant?

hahaa... he'd probably know EXACTLY what u mean.... hes a pilot! haha

this could be good LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

(Grabs Popcorn)

Yes I would, but I would hope that you would first summarise it in plain English for those unfamiliar with the terminology, like I did! ;) The details were added for those interested in why I thought what I thought in the first paragraph - for all others, skip through to the next chapter please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

no, but i would have said you were in the wrong section of boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Jason Zealous Scorpion

Absolute comedy gold!... If centipede's had hands there wouldn't be enough for THAT faceplant :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Whatever about snow, potential for some of the showers to be thundery under such a set up, especially in more coastal regions.

Recm1202.gif

Hopefully we will see some nice troughing develop within the flow closer the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement