Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Traveller Culture

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

The whole point is that she said that they have education now.
    But they fact that there are multiple grammar errors in the statements about education proves to be somewhat ironic.

If you are going to say that you are educated, then at least get the grammar right. Especially when you're talking about reading and writing.

Education is more than grammar; if you cannot reckon the value of a contribution in broader terms, then you are in no position to pass judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

The whole point is that she said that they have education now.
    But they fact that there are multiple grammar errors

If you are going to say that you are educated, then at least get the grammar right. Especially when you're talking about reading and writing.
    /your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

But they fact that there are multiple grammar errors...
    /your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

aidoh wrote: »
    /your argument.

The sad thing is that it took a long time before someone realised there was a spelling error in the comment.

Which kind of illustrates my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

The sad thing is that it took a long time before someone realised there was a spelling error in the comment.

Which kind of illustrates my point.

I draw the line at textspeak and poor grammar; anything else, especially spelling, is ignorable. I have many posts with extra or reversed letters from mis-fired keys. This isn't a proof for a journal, and no poster is under any obligation (perhaps with the exception of sensible spacing) to keep a dictionary beside them. This is an inclusive space, and your type of small-minded pedantry closes this off.

Enough with the spelling please - if you want an evidence based discussion on education (as opposed to an isolated case on a biased internet forum), work away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

I am not talking of spelling errors but entire bits of language mangled.

For example "They is cuming to are house" (I have seen this) and other seriously bad grammar and spelling errors.

If this is what they are being taught in the special school for travellers then i am not surprised that they were shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

FairRawny wrote: »

Traveller families are especially strict with girls, according to Martin.
    "Some mothers and fathers is too strict where you wouldn't be allowed to go anywhere," she says. "This is why most Travelling girls get married young, because they want to get away from that.

If you read that properly you would realise that the whole thing is a quote, and not FairRawey's words at all. Either way, the number of errors in this thread is not significant and nowhere near some other threads I have seen.

In passing though, FairRawney, your posts would be easier to read if you gave your own opinions and linked to the long quotes, it would be more interesting, to me anyway, to read your opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

dlofnep wrote: »

Travellers live different, speak differently, look differently, have a different history, take part in different sports (most boxing), have their own language, their own stories that they tell their children.

You could apply that to people from D4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

normally with a different ethnic group you would expect different christian and surnames yet the travellers have exactly the same names as us and there is no such thing as a typical traveller name. myers for example is a typical traveller name in mullingar, yet I do not believe Kevin is one of their number.
    their facial features are basically the same as ours, though buffers (settled people) tend to be less inbred.

You could apply that to people from D4
    :D

• Advertisement

I am not talking of spelling errors but entire bits of language mangled.

For example "They is cuming to are house" (I have seen this) and other seriously bad grammar and spelling errors.

If this is what they are being taught in the special school for travellers then i am not surprised that they were shut down.

some words are aslo inverted but they do have specific words such as gammy. very few can speak pure cant these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Nobody seems to be able to show enough differences between travellers and non-travellers to justify travellers being called an ethnic minority.
    Language: I hear non-travellers using words like gammy often e.g he has a gammy leg.
    Religion: my understanding is their religion is catholic or old school catholic.
    Race: it has been shown through a study that their gene pool is not distinct as opposed to roma gypsies who do have a distinct gene pool. They look like any other irish person and have the same names.
    Culture: im not sure whats in their culture that makes them a different ethnicity than non-travellers.
    I hope someone here can educate me as to what makes them a different ethnic group.

What I definitely dont get is settled travellers who claim to be a traveller when they were born settled and very often their parents were too. They just are not different enough imo but I am willing to be educated as to what the large differences there are to justify them attaining ethnic minority status and how achieving that status will help them as a group get along better with non-travellers rather than just strengthen the divide.

You could not distinguish a well dressed, clean, well-spoken traveller from the equivalently well dressed, clean, well-spoken non-traveller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SineadMaria

Cjoe wrote: »
    I have read through this thread looking to be moved from my view that there is no traveller culture. I also watched a show about them on TV3 on 04/05/10. Im still lost as to Traveller culture. Nobody has put down in black and white what this culture is. A woman mentioned on the show in response to the young woman getting married "this is our culture". Getting married at 18 is not a seperate cultural trait.
    To be honest I dont believe there is a Traveller culture. There is a Traveller way of life just like there is a fishermans way of life or an inhabitant of one of the aran islands way of life. I do feel Travellers live differentley to many people but they are not in my opinion an ethinc group in any shape or form. Alot of customs they have are old catholic traditions. Teling stories and singing are great talents to have but once again they do not make you ethnicly or culturally different to the average Irish man or Woman.

Some travellers have great IRISH traditions such as singing, trad music playing, story telling etc but they are no different to any other irish person. And that is exactly it. They are Irish people. Nothing more nothing less. And the sooner Travellers realise that and stop playing the "Racism, Ethnic Minority" cards the sooner peoples views will change and the better the relationships will be amounst both travellers and non travellers alike.

Hi Cjoe i know you posted this awhile ago but if you are still interested in finding out wheather Traveller culture exists or not, I would be happy to give you some answers on this topic. Are you interested in specific aspects of Traveller culture or in a more general sense

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eh2010

Has there ever been a genetic study on travelers? What are their origins? How do they differ from settled Irish people? I heard once that they are the closest related Irish people to the first Irish people, and therefore one of the oldest groups in the counrty. Don't know how accurate that is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

eh2010 wrote: »
    Has there ever been a genetic study on travelers? What are their origins? How do they differ from settled Irish people? I heard once that they are the closest related Irish people to the first Irish people, and therefore one of the oldest groups in the counrty. Don't know how accurate that is though.
    I remember during the Prime Time show about it someone spoke to say that there was a study done and that it showed no difference in dna between Irish people and Irish Traveller people. I believe there is a difference between Roma gypsies and other people though.

I think this might be the study that was refered to:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11023116

Here is the full text i believe:
    http://irish-nationalism.net/showthread.php/1495-The-origins-of-the-Irish-Travellers-and-the-genetic-structure-of-Ireland

don't believe there is a genetic difference between Travellers and the Settled community, how ever there is a cultural difference

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

they should not be deemed as an ethnic group. but they are deemed as such and there is nothing i can do about it.

on another note i realise why why they find the word "knacker" offensive. they supposedly "love" their harses. and knacker means killer of horses. so why do they ride their horses into the ground bareback? with a cruel crude fashioned bit in their mouth? any decent horse loving person knows you need a saddle on a horse for balance and gentle on the reins. these just lie back and have no balance and rip the horses' mouth to shreds.

so knacker is an apt word. they are essentially a killer of horses.

and please don't get me started about the convicted crime rate amongst "travellers"! a very high percentage of their community? hmm why is this? oh i wonder why :rolleyes:

they should not be deemed as an ethnic group. but they are deemed as such and there is nothing i can do about it. :rolleyes:

Actually Travellers are not legally deemed as an ethnic community in Ireland, that is what some Travellers are working to achieve.

As for the rest of your post, like all groups you will get good and bad, this doesn't mean you should judge all the same :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

i was not talking about legally. they have all rights under political correctness.
    an ethnic group my arse :mad:

as for the rest of my post the bad far outweigh the good per census of population.
    i know in all groups you will get good and bad but per capita for travellers it does not work out that way.
    thank you very much for your enlightening input :cool:

Advertisement