Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-04-2017, 10:05   #61
rob316

Christ, why didn't I see this thread before I went away last year to the states for 3 weeks. The €400 phone bill was a serious shock to the system when I got it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-04-2017, 12:12   #62
cormie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
Good question, I'm not certain, but I think it does work for another year.

However it won't work for what you are thinking of. If you use it in Ireland for more then two months constantly, then they can deactivate it as they realise you aren't really in the UK.
Ah what a pity! I think Meteor had some decent data plan for 3 months too which might have to do so!
Thanks from:
03-04-2017, 15:09   #63
Berty

Send a message via MSN to Berty Send a message via Skype™ to Berty
I bought the 12 months 12GB option as I've dual Sim on my phone so can continue to use my Irish Sim at the same time. Deactivate Roaming on one and Activate roaming on the other.

£1.95 shipping to Ireland which is okay. Still cheaper than using a Virtual Address
Thanks from:
03-04-2017, 15:55   #64
errlloyd

Send a message via MSN to errlloyd
I didn't realise Dual Sim phones were that flexbile. Really cool. Might try to make sure my next phone is DS.
Thanks from:
03-04-2017, 17:41   #65
Kurtosis

Cheers for the tip, heading to the US later in the year so this will come in handy.

I'm also going to be heading north of the border to Ontario, Canada for a few weeks, has anyone come across any good deals to avoid roaming charges there?
Advertisement
03-04-2017, 21:18   #66
Toast

FYI to anyone considering roaming plans over local operators anytime you roam your data is handled by the home network of the sim. This means added latency to your data as each and every request gets sent back to Ireland to be dealt with which can result in a poor user experience.
03-04-2017, 22:58   #67
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
FYI to anyone considering roaming plans over local operators anytime you roam your data is handled by the home network of the sim. This means added latency to your data as each and every request gets sent back to Ireland to be dealt with which can result in a poor user experience.
No, that isn't true at all!!

That isn't how network routing or roaming works. It would be a complete waste and extra cost for the operators to actually do that.

How it works is operators have an agreement with usually at least one operator in each country to handle data from their SIM's when someone is roaming in the country. They only exchange information on how much information is used and bill one another for the usage.
03-04-2017, 23:05   #68
GoWhest

Last year I got an Ultra Mobile SIM card from B&H Photo for about $35 delivered to Ireland. It was the $39 SIM card and came with one month of unlimited data, unlimited landline calls home, unlimited US calls and texts and they have some sort of call forwarding where if someone from Ireland calls an Irish number and puts in your US number they get through to you for the price of a local call here, which is free in most cases. AFAIK you can get these in the US airports but they charge a premium. I seen them in some of the city centre shops for RRP.
Thanks from:
04-04-2017, 06:25   #69
dodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWhest View Post
Last year I got an Ultra Mobile SIM card from B&H Photo for about $35 delivered to Ireland. It was the $39 SIM card and came with one month of unlimited data, unlimited landline calls home, unlimited US calls and texts and they have some sort of call forwarding where if someone from Ireland calls an Irish number and puts in your US number they get through to you for the price of a local call here, which is free in most cases. AFAIK you can get these in the US airports but they charge a premium. I seen them in some of the city centre shops for RRP.
Plenty of options but nothing I see has unlimited data.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/p...5/N/3899452590
Advertisement
04-04-2017, 09:04   #70
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodzy View Post
Plenty of options but nothing I see has unlimited data.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/p...5/N/3899452590
Some of the options have "unlmited" data in a very restrictive and sneaky manner common in the US.

Basically you get something like 5GB of full speed data, once that is used up, you then get "unlimited" data, but it is restricted to severely slow speeds. Might be just about fast enough for a few whatsapp messages, but even websites would be painfully video and completely forget about video and streaming music.

I suppose it isn't a bad idea and better then nothing, but it does feel a bit like false advertising to fool people.
04-04-2017, 18:04   #71
Toast

Quote:
No, that isn't true at all!!
That isn't how network routing or roaming works. It would be a complete waste and extra cost for the operators to actually do that.
I'm basing this on experience but for the sake of a source this is from the GSMA's website (they're the guys who would know).

http://www.gsma.com/aboutus/wp-conte...gexplained.pdf

Quote:
When abroad and accessing the mobile internet, including
push e-mail, handset internet and mobile broadband
services, also called Packet Switched Data (PSD), your
connection is established by the visited operator’s network
back to your home operator’s network.
• The visited operator’s network passes your internet traffic
via international data transit to and from your home
network.
• Your home network connects you to the internet, your
e-mail account(s) and other data services.
Next time you are roaming go to whatsmyip.org or similar and it will have you still on your home carriers network.

As you've realised this is not cheap hence why there are heavy costs on data roaming. Also you've probably realised it is inefficient which is why I posted as people here are thinking roaming data will be of equal quality to a local sim which it increasingly won't be the further from home you are.
07-04-2017, 09:55   #72
Guru Maith Agut

Quote:

Soooo, this SIM card hasn't arrived in time for my trip . What options should I look at when I get to the US? Has anybody an idea of the best U.S. Data/Calls SIM card option to use please?

If it makes a difference, I will be in Florida state.

Thanks in advance.
07-04-2017, 09:59   #73
raytaxi

I'm heading to the states soon as well and going to use
https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/...l-tourist-plan
as linked in first post seems the best I could find, not sure about t-mobile coverage in Florida though.
(2) thanks from:
07-04-2017, 10:10   #74
masterboy123

I used T mobile 21 days tourist sim. It costed 42$ or so including taxes.
2GB 4G Internet and after that unlimited 3G for uptil 21 days.
Free msgs and local calls.
Good network, used in SFO, Los Angeles and Vegas. Happy with this deal.
07-04-2017, 11:25   #75
j_mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Maith Agut
Soooo, this SIM card hasn't arrived in time for my trip . What options should I look at when I get to the US? Has anybody an idea of the best U.S. Data/Calls SIM card option to use please?

It largely depends on what you need. Do you need lots of data? Are you calling back home to mobiles or landlines? TMobile seems to be a good all round option.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion