Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
03-04-2017, 10:05   #61
rob316
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10,671
Christ, why didn't I see this thread before I went away last year to the states for 3 weeks. The €400 phone bill was a serious shock to the system when I got it.
rob316 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-04-2017, 12:12   #62
cormie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 19,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
Good question, I'm not certain, but I think it does work for another year.

However it won't work for what you are thinking of. If you use it in Ireland for more then two months constantly, then they can deactivate it as they realise you aren't really in the UK.
Ah what a pity! I think Meteor had some decent data plan for 3 months too which might have to do so!
cormie is offline  
Thanks from:
03-04-2017, 15:09   #63
Berty
Registered User
 
Berty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 22,750
Send a message via MSN to Berty Send a message via Skype™ to Berty
I bought the 12 months 12GB option as I've dual Sim on my phone so can continue to use my Irish Sim at the same time. Deactivate Roaming on one and Activate roaming on the other.

£1.95 shipping to Ireland which is okay. Still cheaper than using a Virtual Address
Berty is offline  
Thanks from:
03-04-2017, 15:55   #64
errlloyd
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 11,467
Send a message via MSN to errlloyd
I didn't realise Dual Sim phones were that flexbile. Really cool. Might try to make sure my next phone is DS.
errlloyd is online now  
Thanks from:
03-04-2017, 17:41   #65
Kurtosis
Moderator
 
Kurtosis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,402
Cheers for the tip, heading to the US later in the year so this will come in handy.

I'm also going to be heading north of the border to Ontario, Canada for a few weeks, has anyone come across any good deals to avoid roaming charges there?
Kurtosis is offline  
Advertisement
03-04-2017, 21:18   #66
Toast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,563
FYI to anyone considering roaming plans over local operators anytime you roam your data is handled by the home network of the sim. This means added latency to your data as each and every request gets sent back to Ireland to be dealt with which can result in a poor user experience.
Toast is offline  
03-04-2017, 22:58   #67
bk
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 19,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
FYI to anyone considering roaming plans over local operators anytime you roam your data is handled by the home network of the sim. This means added latency to your data as each and every request gets sent back to Ireland to be dealt with which can result in a poor user experience.
No, that isn't true at all!!

That isn't how network routing or roaming works. It would be a complete waste and extra cost for the operators to actually do that.

How it works is operators have an agreement with usually at least one operator in each country to handle data from their SIM's when someone is roaming in the country. They only exchange information on how much information is used and bill one another for the usage.
bk is offline  
03-04-2017, 23:05   #68
GoWhest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 32
Last year I got an Ultra Mobile SIM card from B&H Photo for about $35 delivered to Ireland. It was the $39 SIM card and came with one month of unlimited data, unlimited landline calls home, unlimited US calls and texts and they have some sort of call forwarding where if someone from Ireland calls an Irish number and puts in your US number they get through to you for the price of a local call here, which is free in most cases. AFAIK you can get these in the US airports but they charge a premium. I seen them in some of the city centre shops for RRP.
GoWhest is offline  
Thanks from:
04-04-2017, 06:25   #69
dodzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWhest View Post
Last year I got an Ultra Mobile SIM card from B&H Photo for about $35 delivered to Ireland. It was the $39 SIM card and came with one month of unlimited data, unlimited landline calls home, unlimited US calls and texts and they have some sort of call forwarding where if someone from Ireland calls an Irish number and puts in your US number they get through to you for the price of a local call here, which is free in most cases. AFAIK you can get these in the US airports but they charge a premium. I seen them in some of the city centre shops for RRP.
Plenty of options but nothing I see has unlimited data.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/p...5/N/3899452590
dodzy is offline  
Advertisement
04-04-2017, 09:04   #70
bk
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 19,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodzy View Post
Plenty of options but nothing I see has unlimited data.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/p...5/N/3899452590
Some of the options have "unlmited" data in a very restrictive and sneaky manner common in the US.

Basically you get something like 5GB of full speed data, once that is used up, you then get "unlimited" data, but it is restricted to severely slow speeds. Might be just about fast enough for a few whatsapp messages, but even websites would be painfully video and completely forget about video and streaming music.

I suppose it isn't a bad idea and better then nothing, but it does feel a bit like false advertising to fool people.
bk is offline  
04-04-2017, 18:04   #71
Toast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
No, that isn't true at all!!
That isn't how network routing or roaming works. It would be a complete waste and extra cost for the operators to actually do that.
I'm basing this on experience but for the sake of a source this is from the GSMA's website (they're the guys who would know).

http://www.gsma.com/aboutus/wp-conte...gexplained.pdf

Quote:
When abroad and accessing the mobile internet, including
push e-mail, handset internet and mobile broadband
services, also called Packet Switched Data (PSD), your
connection is established by the visited operator’s network
back to your home operator’s network.
• The visited operator’s network passes your internet traffic
via international data transit to and from your home
network.
• Your home network connects you to the internet, your
e-mail account(s) and other data services.
Next time you are roaming go to whatsmyip.org or similar and it will have you still on your home carriers network.

As you've realised this is not cheap hence why there are heavy costs on data roaming. Also you've probably realised it is inefficient which is why I posted as people here are thinking roaming data will be of equal quality to a local sim which it increasingly won't be the further from home you are.
Toast is offline  
07-04-2017, 09:55   #72
Guru Maith Agut
Registered User
 
Guru Maith Agut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post

Soooo, this SIM card hasn't arrived in time for my trip . What options should I look at when I get to the US? Has anybody an idea of the best U.S. Data/Calls SIM card option to use please?

If it makes a difference, I will be in Florida state.

Thanks in advance.
Guru Maith Agut is offline  
07-04-2017, 09:59   #73
raytaxi
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 394
I'm heading to the states soon as well and going to use
https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/...l-tourist-plan
as linked in first post seems the best I could find, not sure about t-mobile coverage in Florida though.
raytaxi is offline  
(2) thanks from:
07-04-2017, 10:10   #74
masterboy123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,346
I used T mobile 21 days tourist sim. It costed 42$ or so including taxes.
2GB 4G Internet and after that unlimited 3G for uptil 21 days.
Free msgs and local calls.
Good network, used in SFO, Los Angeles and Vegas. Happy with this deal.
masterboy123 is offline  
07-04-2017, 11:25   #75
j_mo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Maith Agut
Soooo, this SIM card hasn't arrived in time for my trip . What options should I look at when I get to the US? Has anybody an idea of the best U.S. Data/Calls SIM card option to use please?

It largely depends on what you need. Do you need lots of data? Are you calling back home to mobiles or landlines? TMobile seems to be a good all round option.
j_mo is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet