Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-03-2017, 17:06   #31
messinkiapina

IF you don't need data AND you just want to be able to call and receive calls from Ireland, just port your number over to Lycamobile. Their €15 Ireland Plus plan lets you use your calls and texts (both unlimited to Irish landlines and mobiles) when roaming, for free.

They're also doing a deal for new customers at the moment where you get 50% the Ireland Plus plan (for one month I imagine?). So that's €7.50 for as many calls and texts to and from Ireland as you like.
Advertisement
30-03-2017, 17:08   #32
errlloyd

Send a message via MSN to errlloyd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
I bought it directly off mymemory.co.uk and it included 12GB for 12 months with no need to topup.

I could top it up online using a Revolut card (it is a UK debit card), but no need so far.
Hey BK, was that this one?

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/SIM-Cards...d-12GB-of-Data

Did you just whack it in the phone, and it worked straight away? It says it lasts a month, does that start from when you first activate it?
30-03-2017, 17:20   #33
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by errlloyd View Post
Hey BK, was that this one?

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/SIM-Cards...d-12GB-of-Data

Did you just whack it in the phone, and it worked straight away? It says it lasts a month, does that start from when you first activate it?
No this is the one:

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/SIM-Cards...ncl.-12GB-Data

The one you linked to will only last 30 days from first use, while this one will last 12 months (or until 12GB runs out). No calls or texts from this one, data only, but I'm fine with that when travelling, just use whatsapp.

Yup just whacked it into my phone and it worked straight off. However note I've an unlocked phone, you will need to unlock your phone first if it is currently locked.

BTW to add to what messinkiapina says above, my Irish number is on that Lyca deal. So what I do when I get to the US, is stick the Three UK sim in my iphone and put my Irish sim in an old dumb phone so that I can still get and make calls and texts from it too.

Alternatively a dual sim phone would get rid of this need.
Thanks from:
30-03-2017, 17:27   #34
errlloyd

I have an old Iphone 4 I can use I think. So I get the 12GB and just use it as a hotspot for the whole trip. Seems like a reasonable plan. Just need to stop all the apps on my Galaxy auto updating because they think its Wifi
Thanks from:
30-03-2017, 17:48   #35
bk

Quote:
I have an old Iphone 4 I can use I think. So I get the 12GB and just use it as a hotspot for the whole trip. Seems like a reasonable plan. Just need to stop all the apps on my Galaxy auto updating because they think its Wifi
You could also put it directly in the Galaxy if it is unlocked and put your Irish Sim in the iPhone 4
Advertisement
30-03-2017, 21:28   #36
errlloyd

Quote:
Quote:
You could also put it directly in the Galaxy if it is unlocked and put your Irish Sim in the iPhone 4

Yeah, but I'd need to buy one of those sim adapters. Gs7 and iPhone sims are different sizes. Probably best plan though. It'd be a better screen for GPS and the works too.
30-03-2017, 22:00   #37
garyskeepers

this might be a stupid question.. but are these phones unlocked?

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/...N3447MPXSM7276
31-03-2017, 01:38   #38
bk

Quote:
Yeah, but I'd need to buy one of those sim adapters. Gs7 and iPhone sims are different sizes. Probably best plan though. It'd be a better screen for GPS and the works too.
You can buy these for a euro or two on amazon or in places like Dealz, also probably phone shops, but might be a little more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyskeepers View Post
this might be a stupid question.. but are these phones unlocked?

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/...N3447MPXSM7276
No, they would be locked to T-Mobile.
Thanks from:
31-03-2017, 07:37   #39
sioda

Send a message via MSN to sioda
Quote:
No this is the one:

The one you linked to will only last 30 days from first use, while this one will last 12 months (or until 12GB runs out). No calls or texts from this one, data only, but I'm fine with that when travelling, just use whatsapp.

Yup just whacked it into my phone and it worked straight off. However note I've an unlocked phone, you will need to unlock your phone first if it is currently locked.

BTW to add to what messinkiapina says above, my Irish number is on that Lyca deal. So what I do when I get to the US, is stick the Three UK sim in my iphone and put my Irish sim in an old dumb phone so that I can still get and make calls and texts from it too.

I have a 3 Ireland mifi will this work with it does anyone know. Otherwise it's into the second slot in my op3 with it
Advertisement
31-03-2017, 07:46   #40
Berty

Send a message via MSN to Berty Send a message via Skype™ to Berty
I've an OP3T as well so that would work but I'm looking at the thing about It will work in a 4G area. Does that mean it won't work in a 3G, E or H area(or similar) and only work on 4G or is it just like here? It will work on the best network that's available?
31-03-2017, 11:27   #41
smilgy

Quote:
When I needed one, Vodafone in Dundrum gave me an adapter for free.
Thanks from:
31-03-2017, 11:59   #42
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioda View Post
I have a 3 Ireland mifi will this work with it does anyone know. Otherwise it's into the second slot in my op3 with it
It would need to be unlocked. I assume it isn't, but you might be able to get it unlocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty View Post
I've an OP3T as well so that would work but I'm looking at the thing about It will work in a 4G area. Does that mean it won't work in a 3G, E or H area(or similar) and only work on 4G or is it just like here? It will work on the best network that's available?
4G is fully backwards compatible, that means it will work fully on areas where only 3G, E, H, etc. are present.
Thanks from:
31-03-2017, 12:17   #43
Thephantomsmask

Send a message via Skype™ to Thephantomsmask
I use at&t gophone - $45 for a month of 6gb high speed data, dropping to slower speeds after that, unlimited national calls and texts and unlimited international texts.

When I top up by the $45 I then have 5 months after that again to top up before the number expires so it suits me well as I go at least once every 6 months.
Thanks from:
31-03-2017, 19:33   #44
deiseindublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by messinkiapina View Post
IF you don't need data AND you just want to be able to call and receive calls from Ireland, just port your number over to Lycamobile. Their €15 Ireland Plus plan lets you use your calls and texts (both unlimited to Irish landlines and mobiles) when roaming, for free.

They're also doing a deal for new customers at the moment where you get 50% the Ireland Plus plan (for one month I imagine?). So that's €7.50 for as many calls and texts to and from Ireland as you like.
My daughter is on Lycamobile already.

If I make sure she's topped up when we go, we can use her phone to ring Ireland and text for free? Sounds too easy. Does that include landlines?

Pity her 30Gb data isn't the same.
Thanks from:
31-03-2017, 19:33   #45
whiteley91

Quote:
No this is the one:

Would this one be better? 12gb data and plenty of calls and texts and cheaper! Ha
https://m.mymemory.co.uk/product?p=47257

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion