Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-01-2017, 13:14   #16
slave1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
Last time I picked up one of these in my local Walmart. Very straightforward.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-...M-Kit/39081494
That's exactly what I use every year, reasonable 3g coverage and gives me a US cell number which I immediately use to enrol in all shop/restaurant/mall programs and get texted money off vouchers and offers throughout the trip, it effectively pays for itself. Most of the programs are in the form of texts to a cell number so foreign numbers (with international 0044 at the start) won't work. This option also lets you throw a hot spot so I have it on whilst driving/walking around in a group etc. so all the family can use my data.
Won't let you phone/text an Irish mobile roaming in the states is about the only disadvantage.
Bin the SIM in the airport before my flight home and therefore no spam.
Usual cost is $30.
Advertisement
14-01-2017, 09:00   #17
zeldo

http://www.dbssimtrade.com/product-p...5-cd1cba23fbf4

I bought one of those before I went to the states the last time. Good service. They post the sim to you. That way you have it when you land in the airport. I used it to check traffic from airport to hotel. There's a note there saying that sim won't work in airports or hotels. That's new. I was in New York last year as had no trouble in JFK or hotels with that SIM. 4g 1gb and all international and local calls for a month for 30 USD.
14-01-2017, 09:10   #18
Berty

Send a message via MSN to Berty Send a message via Skype™ to Berty
I'm going to buy the T-Mobile's Tourist card when I get there. $30 and I really only want Data anyway. Use it for Google maps so I don't have to use my sat nav and buy the us map for €36
14-01-2017, 09:36   #19
thefinalstage

Vodafone are Charging 2.99 a day for unlimited calls texts and the same allowance as you have here in the US & Canada
(2) thanks from:
14-01-2017, 10:42   #20
sharkman
Adverts.ie Moderator

Anyone got and ideas for a SIM that will work in Mexico ?
Advertisement
14-01-2017, 11:39   #21
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkman View Post
Anyone got and ideas for a SIM that will work in Mexico ?
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Mexico
14-01-2017, 14:32   #22
dodzy

Daughter going to work in Disney Florida for 14weeks in the summer. Any suggestions for PAYG options? She's on bill pay with three but they're a non runner.
14-01-2017, 15:09   #23
sharkman
Adverts.ie Moderator

I shall rephrase that . Has anyone got any recommendations for a prepaid SIM for mexico , From experience ?
14-01-2017, 17:18   #24
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkman View Post
I shall rephrase that . Has anyone got any recommendations for a prepaid SIM for mexico , From experience ?
Sigh, no. That site has fantastic info and recommendations. I've used the SIM's recommended by that site all over the world. Most recently in Brazil.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-03-2017, 09:43   #25
Guru Maith Agut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarman View Post

If you have a data allowance it works as normal over there, along with calls/texts.
Great find Sugarman! Going to Florida next month and really need this even though I'm not a 3 network user.

One question though. Have you used this to call Irish numbers from the US and to receive calls from Irish numbers?

I assumed it would be an extra charge to receive/make calls to Irish numbers on that pay-as-you-go UK SIM?

Perhaps I'm getting it wrong..
30-03-2017, 13:04   #26
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Maith Agut View Post
Great find Sugarman! Going to Florida next month and really need this even though I'm not a 3 network user.

One question though. Have you used this to call Irish numbers from the US and to receive calls from Irish numbers?

I assumed it would be an extra charge to receive/make calls to Irish numbers on that pay-as-you-go UK SIM?

Perhaps I'm getting it wrong..
Just use Whatsapp voice calls instead, they will come out of the data allowance instead.

BTW Just back from the US, used the Three UK data SIM and it worked perfectly over there. Brilliant service.

I change the SIM over while on the plane and it works right off as I step off the plane. Much better then wasting time trying to find a mobile store to buy a local SIM and a lot cheaper too. This is the third trip I've used it in the last 6 months.
Thanks from:
30-03-2017, 16:31   #27
Atlantic Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodzy View Post
Daughter going to work in Disney Florida for 14weeks in the summer. Any suggestions for PAYG options? She's on bill pay with three but they're a non runner.
She will need an unlocked phone to avail of a good PAYG deal over there, the likes of Walmart do various plans with US providers...

https://www.walmart.com/browse/no-co...072335_1081104
30-03-2017, 16:54   #28
errlloyd

Send a message via MSN to errlloyd
I'm going to the states in a week. How could I get and activate a three UK sim between now and then without actually travelling to the UK? Parcel Motel? Can I then top it up online using a revolut card?
30-03-2017, 16:56   #29
Keano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
Just use Whatsapp voice calls instead, they will come out of the data allowance instead.

BTW Just back from the US, used the Three UK data SIM and it worked perfectly over there. Brilliant service.

I change the SIM over while on the plane and it works right off as I step off the plane. Much better then wasting time trying to find a mobile store to buy a local SIM and a lot cheaper too. This is the third trip I've used it in the last 6 months.
Do you just top up with the £20 option and that gives you 12GB in the US?
30-03-2017, 17:03   #30
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keano View Post
Do you just top up with the £20 option and that gives you 12GB in the US?
I bought it directly off mymemory.co.uk and it included 12GB for 12 months with no need to topup.

I could top it up online using a Revolut card (it is a UK debit card), but no need so far.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion