Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Government considering dedicated Transport Police

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Saw a bunch of leaflets in the luggage rack of a Dublin Bus, calling for the introduction of a Transport Police. I could be wrong but the impression I got was that they were put there by the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

JayRoc wrote: »
    Saw a bunch of leaflets in the luggage rack of a Dublin Bus, calling for the introduction of a Transport Police. I could be wrong but the impression I got was that they were put there by the driver.

NBRU have 'unofficially' done this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Saw the leaflets on the train yesterday morning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

To be fair though at least they're pushing for something benefical. We have serious issues nowadays because drunken and violent feckers are allowed to do what they like. Doesnt help that the system keeps letting them off with at times ridiculous lenient sentences but I wouldnt be suprised if this is the next thing to change as people are fed up with this carryon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Saw luas security attempt to break up a fight that wasn't happening at a luas stop during the week, though it was close.
    What exactly is there remit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Infini wrote: »
    To be fair though at least they're pushing for something benefical. We have serious issues nowadays because drunken and violent feckers are allowed to do what they like. Doesnt help that the system keeps letting them off with at times ridiculous lenient sentences but I wouldnt be suprised if this is the next thing to change as people are fed up with this carryon.

More people to catch them doesnt solve that. No transport police: 400 convictions. Transport police: 500 convictions.

Either result is a total menace to society. Judicial system reform would arguably be money better spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I don't buy this.. the problem with AGS is the culture in the force.

Many Gardai just can't be bothered with doing their jobs and you see this every day and in dealings with them. That's just the day-to-day apathy.. I'm not going to even get into some of the behavior revealed in the whistleblower saga.

Unless that changes, it won't matter how many of them there are.

Seriously, why would you bother if you arrest someone with 100 previous convictions and a judge gives them another slap on the wrist. The justice system failures lie with the sentencing judges, not the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Just got on the train and seen them, click the link to see them. had to use an image hoster because the phone isn’t letting me upload directly.
    https://ibb.co/en7uUf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

JayRoc wrote: »

Not the first time the NBRU have done these leaflet drops they did it aswell during the last strike. Not sure they're being put there by drivers or are NBRU reps going around the depots placing leaflets on buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Apparently they want the metro to be without barriers.

That would be a disaster the way things currently are. At the end of the day if personal security is not taken seriously in Dublin (and we know it isn't - there is not a garda to be seen and we don't have a justice system) then unfortunately there are things that we just can not have.

A barrier free underground metro is one of them.

So either they get to grips with security, tackle the drug and anti social behaviour situation in the city center and start handing down proper sentences or I personally would rather we went without certain public transport options.

• Advertisement

That would be a disaster the way things currently are. At the end of the day if personal security is not taken seriously in Dublin (and we know it isn't - there is not a garda to be seen and we don't have a justice system) then unfortunately there are things that we just can not have.

A barrier free underground metro is one of them.

So either they get to grips with security, tackle the drug and anti social behaviour situation in the city center and start handing down proper sentences or I personally would rather we went without certain public transport options.

Baby, bathwater

Logic, absent

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Perfectly logical. Ask anyone who endures the red line on a daily basis.

I repeat my point - we don't have proper policing nor justice system.

This is a societal choice and the consequences of that are there are things we should not have.

I don't like it but it's the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭Tow

I agree 100% and the next time there is an election I will be asking the canvases why we don't have a proper jail system to punish (or rehabilitate) offenders in. I fully believe that finishing off Thornton Hall, and building other modern properly run jails will save the country money. The ratio of prisoners to prison officers in Ireland is out of alignment with other countries. Savings from modern facilities and less staff will largely cover the daily running costs. Selling the 'The Joy' and Dundrum to developers can pay for the new infrastructure. Savings from reduced crime levels are harder to quantify, needless to say the Garda, HSE and Local Authorities will see a direct saving. Joe Public will save on reduced crime/insurance costs. The only looses are those in the Security business, alarm companies and shop security etc.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

DART and commuter rail has gates, yet it has never stopped anti-social issues on DART and Rail, including the recent stabbing. And on a bus you have to pass the driver.

A little old gate doesn't stop anyone up to no good. Also a lot have free travel.

A Transport Police, plus changes in our justice system system are what will help.

• Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭dermo888

"Also a lot have free travel"

I know that and it galls me. Free Travel should be for pensioners who worked for it. Not lowlife skangers going to get de metadone.

Everytime we travel, we carry an umbrella. Just code yourself with a red armband, and get ready, because we the people can 'get' the skangers, using perfectly legal items. Such as umbrellas.

They don't belong on our transport system, our communities or our cities. The skangers must be ran out of the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Journal report Ross has given IE 115,000 for security over Christmas.

105,000 for trains in GDA and 15,000 for depots.

Advertisement