Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Luas Surfing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Judges must be getting a few back handers. They need to be called out on their decisions. Absolutely ridiculous.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

They can’t as judges say they are not approving the settlement?

Two parties agreed a settlement - the Judge has to decide if the settlement is sufficent. They don't, AFAIK, have the ability refuse to approve a generous settlement, that's for the parties to decide.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Peter Casey

Faie enough. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Two parties agreed a settlement - the Judge has to decide if the settlement is sufficent. They don't, AFAIK, have the ability refuse to approve a generous settlement, that's for the parties to decide.

That is a disgrace in itself. Why do they have the power to increase then. Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

no doubt most of the money will be gobbled up by the legal team rubberstamped by the judge , who I blame for this nonsense . The girl made a mistake, her fault , how certain members of the legal fraternity behave in this country is despicable, no morals but finding some legal technicality for a state payout and remain untouchable , whats more they act out of court as if they are better than the common man , in the pompous law libary.

• Advertisement

That is a disgrace in itself. Why do they have the power to increase then. Ridiculous

Because take a situation where a huge multi-national is offering pitance to a naive claimant, a Judge can step in and stop someone being essentially ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Veola were worse in agreeing the settlement.
    No one is going to turn down 550k if offered.

Currently on a Luas. I must get off and surf it instead:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Most posters here don't realise that she admitted liability for her actions.
    The awarded payment is in relation to health and safety failure's and no risk assessment been carried out before this indecent.
    All Luis trams now haw cameras over door due to this.

Veola were worse in agreeing the settlement.
    No one is going to turn down 550k if offered.

I assume it was ther legal team who advised to agree , given the case from the other legal team - The big winners hear are the legal teams , as they always do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

LiamoSail wrote: »
    It turns nasty because people are sick of leeches on society like her, the scrounging fat ****

And you speak for all? Oh thin one....

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »
    Most posters here don't realise that she admitted liability for her actions.
    The awarded payment is in relation to health and safety failure's and no risk assessment been carried out before this indecent.
    All Luis trams now haw cameras over door due to this.

she jumed on the tram , for a thrill , thats why people do mad things , life has danger , not everything can be covered by health and safety for stupid things !

according to Indo :-

He said in this case the tram pulled in to the Tallaght bound platform and the driver had to watch the platform where passengers were getting on and off.

To view the other side of the tram where Rebecca jumped on would have required him to switch cameras. Counsel said the driver also had to be looking straight ahead when the tram moving off as people often try to cross in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Ah scutting. The youths in Sherriff St and East Wall used to do this to trains in the north docks and also to lorries.

Some fatalities but it was a different Ireland and the compo was a big fat zero. Well you might get a little for funeral costs

thebaz wrote: »
    she jumed on the tram , for a thrill , thats why people do mad things , life has danger , not everything can be covered by health and safety for stupid things !

according to Indo :-

He said in this case the tram pulled in to the Tallaght bound platform and the driver had to watch the platform where passengers were getting on and off.

To view the other side of the tram where Rebecca jumped on would have required him to switch cameras. Counsel said the driver also had to be looking straight ahead when the tram moving off as people often try to cross in front.

Afraid to say that risk assessments do have to be carried out for people's stupidity trills ect.
    Wasn't in this case stand corrected on the camera's I think they might have different desply in the cockpit.
    But the payment was given in relation to health and safety reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

By all means the topic at hand should be discussed but why does it have to turn so nasty.

Because we are all getting sick of this ****?

Even the most placid of culture's will eventually get tired of the leeches on their back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

mad muffin wrote: »
    May I enquire to the ethnicity of this fine lady?

Scumbagonian ethnic group.

Afraid to say that risk assessments do have to be carried out for people's stupidity trills ect.

Me i just despise the letigiuos society we have become or are becoming , where health and safety dictates all leisure pursuits , soon rugby, boxing , soccer,, GAA everthing will be covered by health and safety nanny statism , and we will forget to live, thanks to the greed of a certain section of the legal fraternity.

Because we are all getting sick of this ****?

Even the most placid of culture's will eventually get tired of the leeches on their back.

By all means express your own opinion but don’t claim to speak for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Please explain how the deliberate and reckless actions of this girl in this case justify any sort of compensation, never mind 550k.

Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Afraid to say that risk assessments do have to be carried out for people's stupidity trills ect...
    But the payment was given in relation to health and safety reasons

People who share this opinion are horrble people who ruin society. If I decide to stick a screwdriver in my eye should we blame the people who make the screwdriver. Disgusting payout!

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Please explain how the deliberate and reckless actions of this girl in this case justify any sort of compensation, never mind 550k.

Genuine question.

It absolutely doesnt’t. Read my previous posts please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 lesliescott586

I’m pretty sure if you get a payout like that your not entitled to state benefits until the money is gone/you buy a house to live in yourself and the rest of your savings amount to 35k for single person and 72k for couple. Something like that.

Would be interesting to know why the settlement is so high, how bad were her injuries does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    Would you have to pay tax on that settlement?

No, only taxpayers pay tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Oh i am well aware that there is a subset of society who depend on these gravy trains to fund their lifestyles, I wouldn't dare speak for them. I'll let you do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Personal Responsibility ability should be taken in cases like that.

She's not that badly injured if she went on to have a child.

Or is she that badly brain damaged the state needs to remove the child and charge the father with rape? And charge her mother with neglect?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Just saw the case on the Virgin News what a bloody disgrace.

This encourages more idiots to do similar stunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

TallGlass wrote: »
    I honestly can't believe what I am reading. 550k for knowingly jumping onto the side of a tram door as it moves.

What did she expect to happen here?

It's honestly official judges have lost there minds.

I'm watching the news now and I'm speechless.
    How did she get any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It probably would have worked out cheaper to settle rather than fight the case. Boggles the mind how stupidity is rewarded now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

TallGlass wrote: »
    I honestly can't believe what I am reading. 550k for knowingly jumping onto the side of a tram door as it moves.

What did she expect to happen here?

It's honestly official judges have lost there minds.

Exactly. No wonder society is a mess. This little scum bag getting 550k for acting the arsehole, no one else’s fault but hers. What they actually sued for, god knows.

Just really pisses me off.

thebaz wrote: »
    Me i just despise the letigiuos society we have become or are becoming , where health and safety dictates all leisure pursuits , soon rugby, boxing , soccer,, GAA everthing will be covered by health and safety nanny statism , and we will forget to live, thanks to the greed of a certain section of the legal fraternity.

Totally agree with you,my favourite spot road racing (motorcycle racing on closed roads) is dieing a slow painful death due to health and safety

• Advertisement

Oh i am well aware that there is a subset of society who depend on these gravy trains to fund their lifestyles, I wouldn't dare speak for them. I'll let you do that.

I speak for myself. You should try it sometime.

Advertisement