Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I really have no idea tbh. If I had a hunch; the N2/N8 could be out with either the E Spine/O route or B Spine.

The impending diversion of the W6 away from Brookfield is not great news for the people living there.

Is the anti social behaviour still ongoing in that part of Tallaght?

Also; would there be any chance that the NBRU would try to have more talks with the NTA/operators/Gardaí to try and reinstate the W6 along with the other routes that were taken out of that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The N2 requires road works at Griffith Avenue/Mobhi Road and DCC has just recently made a pigs ear of that junction with their pole fetish. So the NTA aren't going to start digging it up again any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

Of course buses carry the lion's share, rail and luas are only available in a much smaller amount of areas. There is a snobbery about buses in some people. Just as a small sample, I work with people who get the dart everyday to work but if the dart isn't running for whatever reason then they will drive in. They wouldn't dream of getting the bus. This despite two of them living very close to the terminus of two of the most frequent routes in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭Qrt

If both the W4 and W6 are GAI routes then they’ll probably still go ahead with the regular route at launch. But I’d be wary. That whole stretch is a nightmare. The terminus seems to be an issue too but that’s off-topic. The area has always been fairly isolated so hopefully these two new routes with help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

A bit strange given that most of the buses are far more modern than any of the DART rolling stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

people don't like buses compared to train and tram because there is a (correct) perception that they're less reliable. At least if a Dart is cancelled you will usually get some announcement at the station; with bus cancellations or delays, your largely on your own. The realtime apps are an improvement in this respect but there's still a lot of problems with them. Plus buses are less comfortable, if you're seated there's less room and if you're standing you're more likely to be thrown around.

maybe there's some snobbery as well:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Seen this on the 17 today, seems to be an internal newsletter that someone stuck up on the bus. Ballymount expansion has supposedly started, with a completion timeline of 25 weeks.

It will enable fleet expansion for the upcoming W routes, will this part of the works be done in time for phase 5a I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Just to say that drawings have finally been uploaded here. The canopy is very different to that at Liffey Valley, a series of circles this time. I probably prefer the LV canopy but the Red Cow one might look better in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xper

Looks okay. Though an obvious problem with high circular canopies along a straight-edged bus platform is the hit-and-miss nature of the protection from the elements - it slightly favours form over function. With the tram stop here too in a parallel layout, there was an opportunity for a canopy arching over the whole interchange, a showpiece bit of architecture for the Bus Connects project as the Dundrum bridge was for Luas. Would cost a bit more of course.

How long is it since work finished on the current Red Cow bus stop layout? Six months? Nonetheless, I prefer that they go ahead and do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

So this map (I think Jan 2021) doesn't apply? Looks from that like they were to run on the luas line beside the HSE. Which would be a lot shorter.

city-centre-area-map.pdf (busconnects.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There have been small changes to the routings on that map in some of the phases implemented so far, mainly for practical reasons such as the roads not being suitable.

The broad brushstrokes remain the same but there will be variations.

In this case I suspect that adding buses to Steeven’s Lane would make the junction at St John’s Road West all the more difficult to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Thanks. They uploaded them last week but I forgot to post back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Hi Guys,

When are the next Bus Connects changes due to happen? Have been seeing different dates for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I wouldn't trust the dates. Everything is on hold until more drivers hired which currently is very difficult even to make at balance due to a constant leave of existent drivers and retirements. Hard to break even, and even more difficult to make a surplus. However, it is expected to launch the next phase some time during summer, I'd expect. But I'm very pessimistic about many things being badly managed in this country, so I'd say sit tight and wait. There must be at least one phase coming this year sometime between June and November.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s odd, around my way it’s the opposite - an area of the town in which I live has lost its direct bus service to Dublin City centre and despite there being a frequent train service direct to Connolly and three L-series routes totalling six buses an hour (compared to one an hour direct to the city centre under the old Dublin Bus plan) which connect with the main spine Bus Connects has been absolutely villified locally. People preferred the bus to the train solely because you could get off that little bit closer to O’Connell Bridge.

It’s entirely dependent on there being sufficient drivers available to resource the new services and the existing ones.

Dublin Bus appear to be still cancelling reasonable numbers of departures due to the driver shortage, so I’d treat any proposed rollout dates with skepticism.

Effectively, they will happen when they can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

C1/2 is really struggling on a Saturday. The cut from every 20 minutes to every 30-ish minutes is really noticeable. Buses are full inbound from Foxborough all afternoon. Full even earlier when one is cancelled - C2 was full from Finnstown last Saturday afternoon after a cancelled C1 and just 2 people got off at Liffey Valley so the L-routes are not part of the solution. Adamstown trains only go to Heuston at weekends so not an attractive alternative.

Driver shortage is causing cancellations and means increasing services is now not feasible, but the fact is this reduced Saturday service was part of the Bus Connects plan, and in an area of such massive housing development it's just not good enough.

According to the Dublin Commuter Coalition, when they toured the GAI depot GAI reps said that they had their driver shortage issues pretty much sorted.

So I'd imagine that would mean phase 5a (W4 & W61/2) should ocmmence soon, since it's only GAI involved in that.

Well it said they were *starting* to hire additional drivers for new services.

Retention will be the key issue here.

• Advertisement

Ah I misread it slightly then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Trying to hire drivers is evidently difficult at the moment. However, it seems to be quite another ball game to keep them:

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Go Ahead normally takes about 3 months for a driver to be trained in (on a car license). Bus Theory Test about 3 weeks wait, case study another 2 or so weeks, medical test another week or two, then if all that goes well you will have 4 weeks training on the bus then your test. If you pass your test its classroom for a week then route training and bus familiarization. It takes time, and then after all of that, some drivers only last a month then leave, of course they will have to pay back the full cost of the tests that go ahead paid for.

I could be wrong but if you stay at go ahead for a year you get 1000 bonus payment.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Hardly a surprise management are always going to try and sugarcoat things

Not sure about a bonus simply for staying on but I know they have a bonus for every month you go without any accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

From what you are saying the E-Spine is unlikely to happen soon. So I was wondering whether busconnect would implement without any infrastructure changes? I don't know about whether other spines have similar planning applications pending as the Ballymun Finglas scheme, but sending more busses down Mobhi road and through Phibsboro as it is won't make the service faster, nor more reliable. It will be more predictable alright , but not in the desire positive way.. in fact it will loose the services like the 11 that bypasses all that (Which my kids are due to start using the 11 after the summer. Maybe just too pessimistic about change..)

It surely would make more sense to improve infrastructure to cater for such change..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

The network changes are being implemented independently of the infrastructure improvements being in place.

People in Ballyfermot for example are already experiencing slower journeys due to the revised route taken by the G Spine rather than the much faster old 79 routing.

But the reality of the shortage of drivers has caused the suspension of further phases of the revised network from being implemented until the operators are able to resource them and existing services.

There are already 6 planning applications with An Bord Pleanala and a further 6 to be lodged, but there are significant delays in the planning approval process, again due to shortages of staff - something affecting much of the economy right now.

https://busconnects.ie/initiatives/core-bus-corridors/

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Thanks. Yes I get it that it was planned to be done independently (and much quicker than waiting for ABP for the infrastructure - assuming they get approval in the first place) . But now that it's delayed for various other factors and multiples the promised improvements may not materialize until after infrastructure.. why not adapt and reevaluate the order.

Cause doing the infrastructure after the route alignment will cause another few years of further service degradation...

Emailed NTA for an update.. autoresponse promised reply within 15 working days.. they are in no hurry..

• Advertisement

Given each spine crosses the city - one half of the Spine would still likely suffer from the effects of the infrastructure works.

You would be robbing Peter to pay Paul by changing the order.

Regardless, I suspect that the network changes will still end up completed before the construction works start.

Advertisement