Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    Just picked up an American Panasonic 3DO FZ1 for free. It was bought on eBay a while ago by my brother but he plugged it into an plug adapter and powered it up without a power inverter so it made a "bang" noise according to him and an electrical burning smell.
    So he fried it. :eek:
    I could kill him for doing it but what can ya do.

My question is can it be saved in any way or do I now have a very retro door stop?

My advice is to open it up & see it there's a seperate board for power regulation, or whether the whole thing is one one board. It should be where the power chord comes in from the outside, take a picture even.

If it's a seperate board, you may be able to salvage something, if not then its prob dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

EnterNow wrote: »
    My advice is to open it up & see it there's a seperate board for power regulation, or whether the whole thing is one one board. It should be where the power chord comes in from the outside, take a picture even.

If it's a seperate board, you may be able to salvage something, if not then its prob dead.

Well I just opened up the 3DO. I don't see anything burnt inside and the fuse is blown. Is it possible it's just the fuse that died? I don't have a power inverter thing so I cant test it out with a new fuse :(

Looks like I got a free game anyway as I can see a disc in the tray. :)

What do you think?

dsc3370.jpg

dsc3373.jpg

dsc3374.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well from the looks of things, the PSU is away from the main board. So I would imagine if the PSU fried then the main board should hopefully be okay.

Looking at this video he removes the PSU completely. Now, would I be able to put in a psu from a normal PAL 3DO or is that crazy talk?

Master of the Universe

You can switch the internal PSU for consoles alright. Enternow was showing me how while he was modding my Dreamcast. It's a good way of getting around the need for step downs on consoles that have internal PSUs.

The main problem with that being is you have to find another console with a working doner PSU. Although I think you said you had several 3DOs so that shouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    You can switch the internal PSU for consoles alright. Enternow was showing me how while he was modding my Dreamcast. It's a good way of getting around the need for step downs on consoles that have internal PSUs.

The main problem with that being is you have to find another console with a working doner PSU. Although I think you said you had several 3DOs so that shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, the other 3DO's are all working though. I could take a psu from a pal 50hz 3do and drop it into the USA 60hz 3do as that would then be a better 3do as it would run at 60hz and not have the bars around the edge etc.

What do you think?

I appreciate the help by the way, I dont think I mentioned that :o

Master of the Universe

Yeah, the other 3DO's are all working though. I could take a psu from a pal 50hz 3do and drop it into the USA 60hz 3do as that would then be a better 3do as it would run at 60hz and not have the bars around the edge etc.

What do you think?

Sounds like the best thing to do. Even just to see if the main board is still working.

Although, before doing that, I'd also try putting a new fuse in there too. I would say it's highly likely the whole PSU is gone if the wrong voltage was sent into it, but it's worth a shot.

Just one other thing, I'm going by what I've heard for other consoles. I know Enternow was saying you could replace a Saturn or Dreamcast PSU this way.

I'm pretty certain it would be the same for the 3DO..as the only thing the PSU is doing is taking the power in from the mains and converting it to run the console. The boards should be taking the same power, no matter what region.

But you might want to do a bit of googling just to make sure.

Then again, the console is currently dead anyway..so I guess you've nothing to lose!
    I appreciate the help by the way, I dont think I mentioned that :o

No worries! I've gotten plenty of help here too over the years. Glad to pass the info on.

Well I stripped down the 3DO, so for anyone who's in to this sort of thing here's the main board.

dsc3379.jpg

As o1s1n said,

1) Replace the fuse first
    2) Search for a replacement psu board if no joy
    3) Try a donor psu from a pal saturn (only if the connections are identical where it connects to the motherboard)

Good pics, hard to find pics of 3DO internals so they're a nice reference if anyting.

• Advertisement

As o1s1n said,

1) Replace the fuse first
    2) Search for a replacement psu board if no joy
    3) Try a donor psu from a pal saturn (only if the connections are identical where it connects to the motherboard)

Good pics, hard to find pics of 3DO internals so they're a nice reference if anyting.

Thanks

Just opened up a saturn and the psu is completely different unfortunately.

Thanks

Just opened up a saturn and the psu is completely different unfortunately.

A Saturn PSU?? Oh god don't mind my ramblings I meant a donor 3DO psu! :o Have you replaced the fuse yet?

A Saturn PSU?? Oh god don't mind my ramblings I meant a donor 3DO psu! :o Have you replaced the fuse yet?
    Not to worry, at least I know what the inside of a saturn looks like now :)

Not replaced the fuse yet but I will. I don't have a power inverter so cant even test it to see if it runs with a new fuse at 110v. How much are those step down inverter things anyway?

Master of the Universe

You can get a perfectly fine step down transformer for 10-15 euro. They're cheap enough things.

Not to worry, at least I know what the inside of a saturn looks like now :)

Not replaced the fuse yet but I will. I don't have a power inverter so cant even test it to see if it runs with a new fuse at 110v. How much are those step down inverter things anyway?

Not too sure man, I really hate them things. The problem here is the rarity of broken PAL 3DO's that you could pillage a PSU from, you should try one from one of your working units just to be sure before you spend any money.

Not too sure man, I really hate them things. The problem here is the rarity of broken PAL 3DO's that you could pillage a PSU from, you should try one from one of your working units just to be sure before you spend any money.

Ok, opened up one of my working PAL 3DO's. The PSU is mostly the same except for 1 thing, the American 3DO has an extra red cable coming from the psu that connects to the motherboard, I guess this is the ground wire as its an american plug.

Ok, opened up one of my working PAL 3DO's. The PSU is mostly the same except for 1 thing, the American 3DO has an extra red cable coming from the psu that connects to the motherboard, I guess this is the ground wire as its an american plug.

Hmm, it's possible. Your really need a multimeter to be sure though. Have you got one? Until you verify that, I wouldn't risk it.

Ok, swapped in the pal psu and replaced the fuse with the one in the pal 3do as the fuses I have are way to big to fit in the fuse slot. Powered up and it works great :D
    It displays in black and white but thats because I have it hooked up to my commodore monitor and that only does 50hz and not 60hz. Will test it on tv later. And as I knew anyway the borders are now removed from my games which was always annoying on all the PAL 3DO's.

Another difference is that my PAL 3do only has passive cooling so no fans whereas the American one has a fan. Although the American 3DO is an older revision than my PAL 3DO's so I'd say they removed the fan in the later USA 3DO's as well.

Now all I need is a donor pal 3do thats broken but that has a working PSU.

Master of the Universe

Hurrah! Nice one. I'd say it'll be hard enough to find that doner console, but at least you now have an NTSC one running at 60hz full speed and full screen :)

Ok, swapped in the pal psu and replaced the fuse with the one in the pal 3do as the fuses I have are way to big to fit in the fuse slot. Powered up and it works great :D
    It displays in black and white but thats because I have it hooked up to my commodore monitor and that only does 50hz and not 60hz. Will test it on tv later. And as I knew anyway the borders are now removed from my games which was always annoying on all the PAL 3DO's.

Another difference is that my PAL 3do only has passive cooling so no fans whereas the American one has a fan. Although the American 3DO is an older revision than my PAL 3DO's so I'd say they removed the fan in the later USA 3DO's as well.

Now all I need is a donor pal 3do thats broken but that has a working PSU.

Good result, a testiment to older build quality. Try that with a modern console :rolleyes:

I'll keep my eyes out for a replacement psu anyway :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the help lads. As you can probably tell I'm a big 3DO fan so was very happy to be able to resurrect this fallen hero :)

I've put a wanted ad on the trade section for the psu but would say I'll be waiting a long time to find what I need here or anywhere else. So if you do come across a psu let me know.

I've photographed the internals of the 3DO in detail if anyone ever needs them for reference etc. Is there anywhere to stick them for people here rather than just posting them here?

Master of the Universe

How about over in the console modding forum? Technically you did mod this with a different power supply ;)

There are always loads of pictures of console innards over there. I'm sure they'd be appreciated.

o1s1n wrote: »
    How about over in the console modding forum? Technically you did mod this with a different power supply ;)

There are always loads of pictures of console innards over there. I'm sure they'd be appreciated.

Yeah I guess it is technically a mod, so if you want to create a thread that documents the procedure with the pics, I can make sure it's archived properly then. You might have to start from scratch, take a pic of the borked psu, explain what happened, show how you removed it, installation of the new one etc etc...but those are good references to have for others :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

GameGear is working perfect thanks a million, there is a noticable improvement in the screen too i think. Going to give it a good clean now and replace the screen. maybe swap the buttons around from the other one if they are better. Thanks again.

Does anyone know where i can get electrical wire for wiring up arcade buttons, or for electronics etc.??

keithgeo wrote: »
    Does anyone know where i can get electrical wire for wiring up arcade buttons, or for electronics etc.??

If your looking for a shop in Dublin Maplins will probably have way you want.

Cheers Steve, i just attempted my first real retro repair.

A Spare Astro Wars i have. It powered on, played a bit of music then faded away. no image on screen.

I removed all the wires, - From Batterys to power in to board and added new wire i had lying around (which is why i need more) from the battery to board skipping the ac power on the side.

I also replaced the wire going from a round disc (sound?) to the board.

The music now plays about 2 seconds longer then fades to nothing haha. still i was happy enough it was still making noise after i messed around with it.. im sure it was obvious but i thought skipping the ac and going direct from the batterys to the board was a brainwave on my part haha..

EDIT: Heres some images for the craic..

pic 1 removed the first wire off the battery, this seem to have fluid leaked all over it, it was kinda green, forgot to take a pic before i removed it.
    IMG_6289.jpg

pic 2 before i did stuff, black and red wire from the batterys, to the ac, to the board.

IMG_6291.jpg

pic 3 the black wire gone, a new sexy pink wire replacing it!

IMG_6299.jpg

pic 4 - see ya later red, youve also been replaced by pink. you can also see what im assuming is the sound thing under the cushion in the middle.

IMG_6302.jpg

pic 5 the sound thing with old wires.

IMG_6306.jpg

pic 6 new wires on the sound thing! it was near impossible to keep these soldered on here, they kept falling off! is there some sort of magic solder that keep wires on these things?

IMG_6307.jpg

pic 7 the sound thing back in the board with a bit o solder on the back

IMG_6310.jpg

Pic 8 here she is, two hours later, new wires, and still not working! ;)

IMG_6314.jpg

Right, im off to watch stargate!

keithgeo wrote: »
    Cheers Steve, i just attempted my first real retro repair.

A Spare Astro Wars i have. It powered on, played a bit of music then faded away. no image on screen.

I removed all the wires, - From Batterys to power in to board and added new wire i had lying around (which is why i need more) from the battery to board skipping the ac power on the side.

I also replaced the wire going from a round disc (sound?) to the board.

The music now plays about 2 seconds longer then fades to nothing haha. still i was happy enough it was still making noise after i messed around with it.. im sure it was obvious but i thought skipping the ac and going direct from the batterys to the board was a brainwave on my part haha..

You'll be jtagging 360's before you know it :p

Sounds like a dry cap on the board :)

haha im just glad its still making the dying sound it was before i started.. thats 2 for 2 now on my repair butchering haha.. a gamegear and astrowars repair fail.

maybe someday ill go at something and actually fix it!! I updated my post above with some pics for the craic. you know, to chronicle my failure haha.

oh and question for you, the original wire was a lot thinner ie it only had one metal wire in it, where as the wire i used had a few metal threads in it. does that make a big difference?

• Advertisement

haha im just glad its still making the dying sound it was before i started.. thats 2 for 2 now on my repair butchering haha.. a gamegear and astrowars repair fail.

maybe someday ill go at something and actually fix it!! I updated my post above with some pics for the craic. you know, to chronicle my failure haha.

oh and question for you, the original wire was a lot thinner ie it only had one metal wire in it, where as the wire i used had a few metal threads in it. does that make a big difference??

Advertisement