Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cars from 2020 onwards

Options
  • 17-05-2018 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Just owndering What will the reg plates show come 2020?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

Just owndering What will the reg plates show come 2020?

I'd imagine 201 202 211 212 and so on...?

(201-D-123456)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Contrails wrote: »
    I'd imagine 201 202 211 212 and so on...?

(201-D-123456)

Still annoys me even 5 years later.

We had a perfectly logical system, but nope.. had to mess with it to satisfy the motor sales "industry" (ie: signing people up to PCP deals) instead! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The way they fecked around with putting the imports at 120k completely ruined it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The way they fecked around with putting the imports at 120k completely ruined it.

That was for one or 2 years only wasn’t it.
    I brought in a UK car in 2017 and I didn’t get the 122.... reg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

Every car that is a 2010 or older gets the high numbering upon import. 2011's and up don't - I have a 2012 import that's a far more reasonable number.

As far as I understand it, the reasoning for the numbering jump was that the migration of the computer system in Shannon to a newer platform in 2011 was responsible - as we know the country was strapped for cash at the time, and I'm guessing the extra consultancy costs required for having the new system continue the sequences cleanly couldn't be borne.

The cheapest option would then have been what happened - start the new import series for each county and each year prior to 2011 at a high enough number that there was no possibility of a collision for each county.

2011 and newer regs weren't affected as these were already on the new system.

Lastly, one point that might be overlooked is that the new year numbering sequence, like it or not, neatly sidesteps the problem where we would have started to have more and more situations where a 2016 car, for example, couldn't have had 16-D-1 as this was already allocated to a vintage car (I distinctly remember this being on a Model T as a teenager, looks like it went to ZV subsequently).

With the 131, 132 etc system, we're good for new registrations without the possibility of collision until 2113.

• Advertisement
Advertisement