Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

04-07 VW Toureg diesel

• 09-04-2012 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi guys. Has anyone here owned a VW Toureg 2.5 or 3l turbo diesel. I'm considering buying a 04 to 07 model and wondering if they are particularly problematic in any way, or what I should be looking out for when shopping. Are they very thirsty? I do a mix of town and m/way driving covering about 200 kilometres a week. Also, would you know the cost of a general service on one of these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Like all 4x4s in that class they are expensive to run. They are very thirsty, very expensive to tax (unless you are going for a commercial and can tax it at the commercial rate) Routine servicing costs are higher than a car but not massive. However wear and tear items like tyres and brakes are very expensive. For example to replace brake discs and pads on a 3.0TDI with the 4 piston brake setup you wouldn't have much change out of €1000.

What are you currently driving?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

to me, they're a sh1tbox, i looked very closely at them (viewed and reserached 7) before i went and bought a x5 ........and I'm glad i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 toetatoe

@george dalton, I'm coming from BMW territory, both petrol and diesel, but I now need a jeep for towing. I have a mechanic friend to do the servicing so I won't be going near a VW garage either. I suppose I am really just concerned about their general reliability rather than the normal wear and tear maintenance that every motor requires.

@MidlandsM, can you tell me what put you off the Toureg so much and why you opted for the X5 instead?

I would also have an X5 over one any day of the week. However I wouldn't say the X5 is any more reliable or cheaper to run. They are just a nicer car.

....my x5 is much better in every way. Better smooter engine etc. Much more relailbe than any toerag as I research and asked many many trade contacts and owners of toerags and many said they were troublesome.

Toerags suffer lots of Water ingress, propshaft's going way before they're time costing 2k to fix, ate tyres, switch gear prematurley wearing, electrical module's failing and massive money to put right..........total sh1t.........

• Advertisement

Thanks for elaborating MidlandsM. Very off putting indeed.

google them, the propshaft issue is the BIGGIE.........and then its time for the vaseline.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

I'm not quite sure of your feelings towards the Volkswagen touareg model midlandsM could you please elaborate? :D Only thing i can gather is the ate alot of tyres.

OP if you are buying a jeep for towing then go land cruiser,if you want a foxrock tractor for posing then buy an X5 or similar. :D

Come on now M there are 2 sides to every story. I love X5s and I agree with you they are much nicer than the Touareg as a car/jeep but they are far from a paragon of reliability.

What about all the auto gearbox problems the X5s give? Also the transfer boxes are troublesome on them. What about the rear subframe bushes wearing out every few years? What about both electric fuel lift pumps failing? Nothing I have mentioned there is cheap to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

tossy wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure of your feelings towards the Volkswagen touareg model midlandsM could you please elaborate? :D Only thing i can gather is the ate alot of tyres.

OP if you are buying a jeep for towing then go land cruiser,if you want a foxrock tractor for posing then buy an X5 or similar. :D

I'm driving a 3l at the moment whilst.my.own jeep is in the garage. It's breaking my heart on diesel. I use it for towing and it's fine but if I had a choice I'd be getting a landcruiser!!!! I am also looking to get a kia sorento. very good for towing and economical!!!

• Advertisement

Foxrock tractor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I heard an oil change on the 2.5 TDi is very expensive.

Come on now M there are 2 sides to every story. I love X5s and I agree with you they are much nicer than the Touareg as a car/jeep but they are far from a paragon of reliability.

What about all the auto gearbox problems the X5s give? Also the transfer boxes are troublesome on them. What about the rear subframe bushes wearing out every few years? What about both electric fuel lift pumps failing? Nothing I have mentioned there is cheap to replace.

I know George, and yer right, also the keys give trouble, door catch mechanism seize and heater fan resistoirs go too on X5's (sorted these recently), so like them all they have their issues, but my x5 is going strong with no big issues right now, but then I have it right, keep it right etc. As for fuel, its averaging 26mpg tootling about, 32mpg on a run.......same as any of them to be fair.
    but as least they don't leak water like them toerags, a know a lady who had a nice 07 sport one, and it leaked water, but it was so bad, it fu(ked up ALL the modules/electrics and in the end, it was going to be 14k for Micheal Moores to sort.........she got it written off by her insurance co.:eek:
    Re; servicing on the X5, not too bad, i use mpm oils on her to the correct spec (ala castrol etc) and its perfect and half the price. One thiong about the x5 is it hates shyte/ropey diesel. My wife ot diesel somewhere one day and it was running RUFF>..........i said to her NEVER buy that diesel where you bought it before, I threw a diesel treatment thru' it and drove her on, and it came good and refill her with decent fuel........like any modern diesel i guess.

notsobusy wrote: »
    I'm driving a 3l at the moment whilst.my.own jeep is in the garage. It's breaking my heart on diesel. I use it for towing and it's fine but if I had a choice I'd be getting a landcruiser!!!! I am also looking to get a kia sorento. very good for towing and economical!!!

I had a sorento and I'm a fan of them, good bus. But they're not that handy on diesel and the back axle in them does'nt make for a good ride. But they're cheap to buy right now and relaible.
    toetatoe wrote: »
    Foxrock tractor :)

lol.........mine pulls like a tractor...........(remap):pac:

bazz26 wrote: »
    I heard an oil change on the 2.5 TDi is very expensive.

No more expensive than the 3.0 and no more expensive than the likes of an X5 either. It is more expensive than an oil change on an average car because of the extra oil capacity of the larger engine.

Advertisement