Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Longford Parkrun

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

vargoo wrote: »
    Anybody doing that on here?

https://www.facebook.com/Longford-parkrun-1767208576834752/

Saturday Mornings, 9.30am in the Mall, Good fun! I just moved up from Kerry, temporarily, delighted to have one near by. Give it a go if you haven't...

Yep, chasing down my 100 there, always soneone to chat to or to help you get over the line. What time are you doing?

don't miss our 150th in 3 weeks - there will be cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

KAGY wrote: »
    Yep, chasing down my 100 there, always soneone to chat to or to help you get over the line. What time are you doing?

don't miss our 150th in 3 weeks - there will be cake!

Nearly 100 done, fair play to ya! I only discovered the whole thing not long ago, actually annoys me that!

Some quick people running there, always someone to chase down, once weather finally picks up (Snow today!) beating them all is my goal haha.

150th, I see that! Good going!

Nearly 100 done, fair play to ya! I only discovered the whole thing not long ago, actually annoys me that!

Some quick people running there, always someone to chase down, once weather finally picks up (Snow today!) beating them all is my goal haha.

150th, I see that! Good going!
    There's quick and there's slow, I tail walked once and came in well over the hour mark!
    You would have seen a few people in high vis with numbers on Saturday, they're pacers and the number is the time. Its normally the first sat of the month, don't know why it missed a week this month, it's fairly informal, but if you have a particular time you want to beat (20-40min) just ask here or on Facebook and I'm sure someone will make sure to pick that number. You could probably even ask on the day.

As for goals, I'm just waiting for one particular person to stay away for a week so I can be first in my age group, he's 3 min faster than my pb so that's the only way I'll do it :-P
    vis

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

KAGY wrote: »
    There's quick and there's slow, I tail walked once and came in well over the hour mark!
    You would have seen a few people in high vis with numbers on Saturday, they're pacers and the number is the time. Its normally the first sat of the month, don't know why it missed a week this month, it's fairly informal, but if you have a particular time you want to beat (20-40min) just ask here or on Facebook and I'm sure someone will make sure to pick that number. You could probably even ask on the day.

As for goals, I'm just waiting for one particular person to stay away for a week so I can be first in my age group, he's 3 min faster than my pb so that's the only way I'll do it :-P
    vis
    Stick in a long slow run once a week in to your routine, up the mileage you do every week and get a watch (Garmin etc/ with a chest strap) so you know what times/speeds you're doing.

Watch is handy, you can see your current time/ speed/heart rate/distance, it beeps at every mile/km and you'll know if you are going to slow/fast and adjust, after a couple of weeks of the above aim to knock 15 seconds off your PB some week. Work on your breathing, very important, don't let it turn into little short breaths when you're struggling. Try and finish most runs with some sort of kick/sprint.

Get a stretch video or a yoga one but not a yoga one that spends ages in each pose, keep it moving.

Fair play for volunteering! I hope/will volunteer at some stage but I'm abit scared of it for now, maybe a Marshall, can't go wrong surely!!

Stick in a long slow run once a week in to your routine, up the mileage you do every week and get a watch (Garmin etc/ with a chest strap) so you know what times/speeds you're doing.

Watch is handy, you can see your current time/ speed/heart rate/distance, it beeps at every mile/km and you'll know if you are going to slow/fast and adjust, after a couple of weeks of the above aim to knock 15 seconds off your PB some week. Work on your breathing, very important, don't let it turn into little short breaths when you're struggling. Try and finish most runs with some sort of kick/sprint.

Get a stretch video or a yoga one but not a yoga one that spends ages in each pose, keep it moving.

Fair play for volunteering! I hope/will volunteer at some stage but I'm abit scared of it for now, maybe a Marshall, can't go wrong surely!!

Thanks for the advice, but I'm OK with my times, the other guy is just really fast :-). If you are "into" your running, Brendan Doyle does training sessions(intervals, stretches, core work etc) throughout the county, €5 for an hour - all levels catered for - you'll find him on Facebook - he also leads a free long run on sat morning, typically 8 to 12 miles - two groups ~ 9 min mile and 10± min mile.
    He tries to be back for the Longford cycling / longforf tri club spin (you'd need to be a member of one of these to do this spin for insurance reasons)

• Advertisement
Advertisement