Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nature on your farm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Little Miss Fairy

Base price wrote: »
    Anyone know what this plant is.

Think it could be foxglove

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Think it could be foxglove
    Thanks. I just googled how to collect foxglove seeds and it's them alright. TBH I never noticed the seed heads on them before probably because I stopped using herbicides around the yard in the last couple of years. I use the strimmer to control most areas and let other parts go wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This is interesting a Biodiversity Farm of the year. Hadn't heard of it before. Now, I don't generally agree that everything has to be a competition. I would be quite happy with a regular feature article on a farmer engaged in some good aspects of biodiversity. Anyway it will highlight the area in a positive way.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/could-you-be-this-years-biodiversity-farmer-of-the-year/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

522844.jpg
    Any ID for this bloke?

ganmo wrote: »
    Any ID for this bloke?
    Looks a bit like this fella http://www.irishmoths.net/pages-moth/m-672.html

• Advertisement

Ah, a West Cork moth.

Water John wrote: »
    Ah, a West Cork moth.
    Ha, ha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I came across this wee lad tonight while feeding the cats. Fine healthy lump he is too.
    8BK2FO1.jpg

You gave him a rub too. I think they have lots of fleas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Seen this lad when I was out over the weekend, never seen one like it before..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Meleftone

Thats a Six-spot Burnet Moth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I came across this wee lad tonight while feeding the cats. Fine healthy lump he is too.

It is safe to feed cat food to hedgehogs, I gave some to a little small fellow, he sniffed it out on the grass and ate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Rosahane

It is safe to feed cat food to hedgehogs, I gave some to a little small fellow, he sniffed it out on the grass and ate it.

Cat or dog food either wet or dry are good for them. Not bread or dairy though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Was only reading on it last night, anything with a higher meat content than fillers of grains so the dry cat food might be better.

https://twitter.com/dancingtrsrs/status/1295754339584282624

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Any chance you could paste the article Base?

Any chance you could paste the article Base?
    Farmers will be paid to rewild land on a small scale by the Department of Heritage, the Irish Farmers Journal can reveal.
    The Department will support rewilding options which support biodiversity and habitat creation, documents from the Department show.
    It has defined small scale as one hectare of land. The Department will “actively promote and support farm forestry/rewilding options that do not affect agricultural production and support biodiversity and habitat creation.
    “We will incentivise the option of small-scale (eg 1ha) forestry/rewilding,” it said.
    The Department will also review the protection, including the enforcement of relevant legislation, of the country’s natural heritage, including hedgerows, native woodland and wetlands.
    Land use plan
    As was contained in the programme for government, a review is to be carried out of national land use including farmland, forests and peatlands “so that optimal land use options inform all relevant Government decisions”.
    Policy co-benefits, such as rewetting or forest regrowth to mitigate flooding risks in river catchments will be considered
    The review will balance environmental, social and economic considerations and involve a process of evaluation of the ecological characteristics of the land, according to the Department.
    “It will include consideration of emissions to air and water, carbon sequestration, as well as climate adaptation challenges.
    “Policy co-benefits, such as rewetting or forest regrowth to mitigate flooding risks in river catchments will be considered. All stakeholders will be consulted.
    “Such a review would allow knowledge transfer to policy makers, advisory services and landowners, to assist farmers in making an informed choice as to how best to use their land while also benefiting from available supports and incentives,” it said.
    Biodiversity survey
    The Department will also carry out a “baseline biodiversity survey on every farm” to inform future policy development and is to complete a national hedgerow survey. This was part of the programme for government talks earlier this year.
    Department documents also show that the National Parks and Wildlife Service is to be reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Farmers will be paid to rewild land on a small scale by the Department of Heritage, the Irish Farmers Journal can reveal.
    The Department will support rewilding options which support biodiversity and habitat creation, documents from the Department show.
    It has defined small scale as one hectare of land. The Department will “actively promote and support farm forestry/rewilding options that do not affect agricultural production and support biodiversity and habitat creation.
    “We will incentivise the option of small-scale (eg 1ha) forestry/rewilding,” it said.
    The Department will also review the protection, including the enforcement of relevant legislation, of the country’s natural heritage, including hedgerows, native woodland and wetlands.
    Land use plan
    As was contained in the programme for government, a review is to be carried out of national land use including farmland, forests and peatlands “so that optimal land use options inform all relevant Government decisions”.
    Policy co-benefits, such as rewetting or forest regrowth to mitigate flooding risks in river catchments will be considered
    The review will balance environmental, social and economic considerations and involve a process of evaluation of the ecological characteristics of the land, according to the Department.
    “It will include consideration of emissions to air and water, carbon sequestration, as well as climate adaptation challenges.
    “Policy co-benefits, such as rewetting or forest regrowth to mitigate flooding risks in river catchments will be considered. All stakeholders will be consulted.
    “Such a review would allow knowledge transfer to policy makers, advisory services and landowners, to assist farmers in making an informed choice as to how best to use their land while also benefiting from available supports and incentives,” it said.
    Biodiversity survey
    The Department will also carry out a “baseline biodiversity survey on every farm” to inform future policy development and is to complete a national hedgerow survey. This was part of the programme for government talks earlier this year.
    Department documents also show that the National Parks and Wildlife Service is to be reviewed.

What I see happening
    - dept of heritage pay for the rewilding
    - after 2 years the place is overrun with thistles and rag worth
    - gets reported to the dept of ag
    - landowner has to decide which department to piss off

Looks like a lot of jobs there, surveying every farm. And who'll pay, towser?

Looks like a lot of jobs there, surveying every farm. And who'll pay, towser?
    There are nearly 400,000 km's of hedgerows in Ireland. How many people would it take to survey them in one or two years?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There are nearly 400,000 km's of hedgerows in Ireland. How many people would it take to survey them in one or two years?

There's a head guy after being recruited so I imagine there will be quite a few on the ground early next year.

Or just use ex Ministers of Ag, looks like we could have another one available soon.:)

There's a head guy after being recruited so I imagine there will be quite a few on the ground early next year.

Or just use ex Ministers of Ag, looks like we could have another one available soon.:)
    I wonder are the press releases just talk cause I wonder where the money is going to come from to pay for these incentives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

or up in the sky looking down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Interesting re rewilding. I just started to rewild an acre of land . Borders an area I plan to sow wildflowers and was just awkward enough of an area that it suited trying it. Borders a stream with ash and hawthorn. Already seeing the blackthorn suckers getting good growth and an abundance of hedge nettles( not to be confused with stinging nettles). Definitely an interesting thing to watch.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Interestingly I had two areas that were never tamed on the farm, one was about an acre and had some very old sallies mainly ie scrub woodland. That was on a parcel of land I sold. The second is small but of a similar nature. The natural state of our land is, scrub woodland. Not many species of plant thrive under the canopy.
    I thinking flowering meadow would be a much more diverse flora.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Interestingly I had two areas that were never tamed on the farm, one was about an acre and had some very old sallies mainly ie scrub woodland. That was on a parcel of land I sold. The second is small but of a similar nature. The natural state of our land is, scrub woodland. Not many species of plant thrive under the canopy.
    I thinking flowering meadow would be a much more diverse flora.

Your probably right - I'm currently working with a lad from home(Kildare) who wants to restore a Fen on his land. Its all overgrown atm so first thing he needs is to get some light hardy cattle to clean it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

ganmo wrote: »
    What I see happening
    - dept of heritage pay for the rewilding
    - after 2 years the place is overrun with thistles and rag worth
    - gets reported to the dept of ag
    - landowner has to decide which department to piss off

If its designed by the same folk in the DAFM that came up with REPS and GLAS then I would have similar concerns. Why they didn't just copy proven schemes that have worked very well in the UK i just don't know:rolleyes:

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Your probably right - I'm currently working with a lad from home(Kildare) who wants to restore a Fen on his land. Its all overgrown atm so first thing he needs is to get some light hardy cattle to clean it out.
    A few Tamworth, Saddleback or GOS pigs would probably do a better job.

More worrying, it's a different Dept.

• Advertisement

More worrying, it's a different Dept.
    The auld divide and conquer act ;)
    Don't trust the Greenies.

Advertisement