Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,496 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Muahahaha wrote: »
    And tonight on the Late Late Show we will have €495,000 per year Ryan Tubridy interviewing the Speaker of the House of Commons John Bercow who gets paid £156,000 per year.

Cheers, an interview I would actually be interest in.

Should he only interview people that earn more than him?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Boggles wrote: »
    A lot of those channels are FTV not FTA like here.

I did say similar not the same.

As I said across the board RTÉ aren't utilizing what they have, just because TLLS and GN are on the other side doesn't mean that you don't try to provide alternative content (which in turn trickles down to On Demand viewing), instead RTÉ have chosen a do nothing approach, and TLLS and GN are both extreme examples of this there are many others.

Cheers, an interview I would actually be interest in.

Should he only interview people that earn more than him?

You'll have to sit though Mrs Brown's Boys, Bernard O'Shea. No sob stories this week.

Elmo wrote: »
    You'll have to sit though Mrs Brown's Boys, Bernard O'Shea. No sob stories this week.

No I won't.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

8:30pm
    Friday Night
    RTÉ 1
    How to grow courgettes.

In fairness if the licence fee was €250 it would be so worth it for the sheer volume of spectacular content RTÉ manage to produce...

• Advertisement

Friday Night
    RTÉ 1
    How to grow courgettes.

In fairness if the licence fee was €250 it would be so worth it for the sheer volume of spectacular content RTÉ manage to produce...

Celebrity Master Chef and Gardeners World on BBC 1 and 2.

ITV has the match and Supermarket Sweep.

Channel 4 has another baking program and Celebrity Coach trip.

That's the game now sadly. But people watch that crap so all power to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Friday Night
    RTÉ 1
    How to grow courgettes.

You're pointing this out like it's a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,231 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Gardeners world (on their secondary channel) - one of the longest running series in history and always popular
    You use ITV2 as an example??? No one pays to support it, but hey big match on the main channel
    CH4 - Bake off - massively popular show - no one pays for it, hell even Coach Trip is popular

We get courgette growing on the island's "premier" channel

Boggles the mind how anyone supports the crap RTE put out - if it was one night a week you wouldn't mind but it's every frigging night

fritzelly wrote: »
    Gardeners world (on their secondary channel) - one of the longest running series in history and always popular
    You use ITV2 as an example??? No one pays to support it, but hey big match on the main channel
    CH4 - Bake off - massively popular show - no one pays for it, hell even Coach Trip is popular

Apart from the match, I consider it all crap.

Again personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I watched it for the John Bercow bit...

Tubridy messed it up again... the bit about politics at the end should have been the majority of the interview.

I don't want to know about his cat, we know enough about his background...

He could have asked him about the washing machine for his nanny, or the other 'questionable' purchases he's made.

Instead, a soft ball interview so soft I almost thought it was a bedtime story.

• Advertisement

Both show are Made in England
    Seems to be an English programme also
    English shows

RTÉ repeats repeats of their own shows, repeats repeats of US programming.

I have no problem with Irish programming but clearly there is very little of it.

For example You are what you eat

The BAI received a complaint about one of the episodes, in there defense of the show RTÉ stated that the episode in question had already air 4 times that year without a complaint, that’s far too many times in a year to repeat a program on RTÉ.

But all channels repeat even the BBC & Channel 4

Actually both the BBC and Channel 4 must report in their annual reports how much programming they repeat in prime time for BBC1,2 and the main C4 channel. BBC ONE has just 7% repeats this compares to RTÉ ONE’s 25%, BBC 2 has 25% this compares to 55% on RTÉ2, while channel 4 has 10%.

Actually both the BBC and Channel 4 must report in their annual reports how much programming they repeat in prime time for BBC1,2 and the main C4 channel. BBC ONE has just 7% repeats this compares to RTÉ ONE’s 25%, BBC 2 has 25% this compares to 55% on RTÉ2, while channel 4 has 10%.

Repeats save money.

The figures are hardly that surprising to be fair given the gulf in budgets.

Repeats save money.

The figures are hardly that surprising to be fair given the gulf in budgets.

Okay so you’ve decided to spend €25m on imports that’s between 10,000 and 12,000 hours of content, excluding daytime programming & children’s content & classic TV, we’ll say RTÉ have around 6000 hours of content (let’s be mean and say 4000 hours). That’s 10hours of new prime time content a day.

So let’s say you have maybe 2 TV channels and prime time is between 6pm & 11pm, that’s 10hours of prime time TV, and remember you’ve just paid 25million of at least 10 hours of new prime time content (plus all the rest). On top of that you have local programmes that fit in prime time.

Even if RTÉ reduced their imports to 15m they’d still have enough content for fewer repeats.

Your debating this with some who agrees with RTÉ, the license fee and even .... I think at the very least the gov should have added €2 this budget to the license fee.

Your debating this with some who agrees with RTÉ, the license fee and even .... I think at the very least the gov should have added €2 this budget to the license fee.

At this point in time I don't support any fee increase and if they take the step to bring in a universal broadcast charge, I won't pay it if I can avoid it.

There has to come a time where the default solution to a public service is not fúck large quantities of money at it unless of course it is proven to be justified.

At this point in time I don't support any fee increase and if they take the step to bring in a universal broadcast charge, I won't pay it if I can avoid it.

There has to come a time where the default solution to a public service is not fúck large quantities of money at it unless of course it is proven to be justified.

So why are you defending RTÉ and why I am I calling them out?

(In terms of the length of time since an increase, but reform is absolutely necessary and they have not taken needed steps to change)

So why are you defending RTÉ and why I am I calling them out?

I'm not defending RTE.

I'm defending aspects of it.

To be fair to you, your opinions are reasoned and well thought out.

But simpletons coming in and saying "RTE should be like Netflix, they are shít" is just beyond reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

I'm not defending RTE.

I'm defending aspects of it.

To be fair to you, your opinions are reasoned and well thought out.

But simpletons coming in and saying "RTE should be like Netflix, they are shít" is just beyond reason.

Most of the time, all the traditional television channels are poor these days. Apart from the news and weather, there is nothing on during prime hours these days. The chatshows on RTE may be dire but BBC's/UK channels' reality shows are not any better and RTE are copying most of their trashy reality shows from the UK too.

Repeats are not just the trend with RTE either. Flicking through channels now, BBC have Dads Army on and flicking earlier in the week, another channel has Compo/Last of the Summer Wine on 5 evening a weak. That said and done, RTE are showing worse repeats like Room To Improve, Celebrity Globetrotters, etc. They then show a decent and rare repeat like Lark Rise to Candleford at 3 in the morning.

There is also no excuse for Mrs Brown's Boys/All Round To Mrs Brown's. RTE and BBC equally guilty here. Thank god for DVDs, Netflix, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Even for public interest programming RTE is not good.
    They don't do the research. They're lazy. They're not proper journalists doing what journalists should do. Most of the the time they wing it and just lump a talking head in front of a microphone for a discussion. Usually the talking head isn't impartial and it will be a politician looking to score points.
    In Germany the quality of the public interest programming is much better. If RTE did no more than just rebroadcast Deutschlandfunk and DW content which is extremely diverse but well researched and presented in English/Irish they'd go most of the way to satisfying their public service remit.

Repeats are not just the trend with RTE either. Flicking through channels now, BBC have Dads Army on and flicking earlier in the week, another channel has Compo/Last of the Summer Wine on 5 evening a weak. That said and done, RTE are showing worse repeats like Room To Improve, Celebrity Globetrotters, etc. They then show a decent and rare repeat like Lark Rise to Candleford at 3 in the morning.

Again while Extra channels from both the BBC (now includes UKTV) and channel 4 carry many repeats in prime time the same cannot be said of BBC ONE, 2 and C4 in prime time/peak viewing, RTÉ have 4 extra channels 2 +1s, news now and jr. I am talking about their main channels not e4, not film4, not more4, not BBC4, not Dave and so on. Don’t carry RTÉ’s line on this.

rivegauche wrote: »
    In Germany the quality of the public interest programming is much better. If RTE did no more than just rebroadcast Deutschlandfunk and DW content which is extremely diverse but well researched and presented in English/Irish they'd go most of the way to satisfying their public service remit.

How does rebroadcasting German TV meet RTE's public service remit? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I don't understand why RTE suddenly decided to show 2 Dublin championship quarterfinal matches. I can't tell you the last time they showed a club game that wasn't the final, and especially 2 back to back, with fairly limited appeal and concentrated on only 1 club championship.

There was a few finals on the last few weeks that they havn't made any effort to show, but this for some reason.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I don't understand why RTE suddenly decided to show 2 Dublin championship quarterfinal matches. I can't tell you the last time they showed a club game that wasn't the final, and especially 2 back to back, with fairly limited appeal and concentrated on only 1 club championship.

There was a few finals on the last few weeks that they havn't made any effort to show, but this for some reason.

I think eir are slowly moving away from Live TV Sports, I imagine eir Sport will be gone if not sold by eir in the next year or two. RTÉ pick up the rights from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Seems a bit strange allright.. I thought tg4 was the go to channel for the club matches

Seems a bit strange allright.. I thought tg4 was the go to channel for the club matches

I think TG4 & eir sport split them between each other, RTÉ has a deal with eir to carry so me games this year. Not sure when those rights are due to be renewed.

How does rebroadcasting German TV meet RTE's public service remit? :confused:
    Translate it to English and then it serves a purpose of educating and informing.
    In many cases it is a case of just removing the voice-over in German as the people they are interviewing communicate through English.
    Don't translate it and the public might be spurred on to learn another language.

BBC isn't the only public service broadcaster in the world but it is the one Irish viewers are most familiar with.

Translate it to English and then it serves a purpose of educating and informing.
    In many cases it is a case of just removing the voice-over in German as the people they are interviewing communicate through English.
    Don't translate it and the public might be spurred on to learn another language.

AFAIK I know the international news channel you suggested does broadcast in English but not on 28 degrees.

As for the other channel, debating the speed of the autobahn and tax codes in municipal districts is of interest to Irish people living in Ireland, how?

How is it a public service? :confused:

T
    BBC isn't the only public service broadcaster in the world but it is the one Irish viewers are most familiar with.

Yes and there would be a myriad of reasons why. Primarily Britain owning the top part of our small island.

AFAIK I know the international news channel you suggested does broadcast in English but not on 28 degrees.

As for the other channel, debating the speed of the autobahn and tax codes in municipal districts is of interest to Irish people living in Ireland, how?

How is it a public service? :confused:
    You obviously haven't listened to the content on the Official Broadcaster channels in Germany so haven't any idea as to just how diverse and outward looking their content can be. This ignorance of the quality of the service provided by others elsewhere charged with fulfilling the same mandate as RTE plays to the benefit of the lazy local Official Broadcaster in Ireland.
    Just listening to DLF now and they are talking about New Wave musicians. Joe Duffy certainly isn't.

You obviously haven't listened to the content on the Official Broadcaster channels in Germany so haven't any idea as to just how diverse and outward looking their content can be. This ignorance of the quality of the service provided by others elsewhere charged with fulfilling the same mandate as RTE plays to the benefit of the lazy local Official Broadcaster in Ireland.
    Just listening to DLF now and they are talking about New Wave musicians. Joe Duffy certainly isn't.

I get you think it is better and for the record I have watched German TV for nearly 20 years, primarily sports, mind you.

But again re dubbing a conversation in Germany about "New Wave Musicians" and broadcasting it on RTE is not fulfilling the Irish Public Service Remit.

Which Official channels are you watching German sports on. They don't generally pay for most sports outside of winter games and the Olympics because that is not within their remit.
    I feel that from the input you have provided that you are determined to adopt a contrarian view without any relevant experience to support it.

The obligation to educate and inform means that the official broadcasters will present on wide and varied topics of which New Wave music just happened to be the one I was listening to as I typed.

Offering low value/without merit talk radio and an uncritical platform for Politicians to trumpet their own achievements and criticise other political parties doesn't broaden the mind of the listnership a.k.a The Public.

• Advertisement

Which Official channels are you watching German sports on. They don't generally pay for most sports outside of winter games and the Olympics because that is not within their remit.

What's an official channel?

RTL show Europa League matches FTA.

WDR used to have some cracking concerts FTA.
    I feel that from the input you have provided that you are determined to adopt a contrarian view without any relevant experience to support it.

It's nothing to do with being contrary. It's about reality.

Rebroadcasting German TV dubbed in English will not fulfil RTEs public broadcast remit.

That's not my opinion.

Advertisement