Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo constituency GE2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Her ties are to Africa, not Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Water John wrote: »
    So Mayo goes from having the Taoiseach and Ring, to having Mulherrin and Ring. Ouch.

No guarantee that we'll have both (although it's 95% sure we'll have at least one). Has Ring confirmed he will be standing again?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mulherrin getting mangled on the VB show. Trying to defend the Marie Whelan appointment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

So Mayo goes from having the Taoiseach and Ring, to having Mulherrin and Ring. Ouch.

Ring is an effective politician. Will deliver to rural Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

In fairness, not sure Enda did that much for Mayo... We'd have been better with a Healy-Rae...

• Advertisement

MBSnr wrote: »
    In fairness, not sure Enda did that much for Mayo... We'd have been better with a Healy-Rae...

Enda is a very nice man. but did not want to be accused of favouring his own area.

Ring is also a nice guy, but imho will deliver to his home base regardless of bleatings from the politically correct

Sounds like an endorsement for a female Donald Trump.

I know Michelle for many years, both as a solicitor, Urban and County Councillor, TD, and now a Senator.

She is neither a Trump nor a Trumpette.

She is an able lady.

Mulherrin getting mangled on the VB show. Trying to defend the Marie Whelan appointment.

As a barrister VB should know that it is a custom of the trade that a retiring AG gets first dibs on any judicial vacancy arising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

The comparisons between Trump and Mulherin are fair. Both are able people and this is demonstrated by their ability to connect on some level with their electorate.

The problem is that both are gaff prone and on a consistent basis. Mulherin has stuck her two feet in it time and time again. The phone calls to Africa from a Dail phone demonstrated her inexperience and how she views the system to be milked.

The biscuit was the fornication comments and the needless hole that she dug for herself.

I sense that she likes the TD/senator gig in Dublin where she has a second life, removed from her Mayo constituents and rural life in general. This dichotomy is unhealthy and the influx of ideas that shape her thinking with these fancy dans will further alienate her from her electoral base.

The fact that attorney general's have been appointed in this manner in the past does not make the process right or fair. Other candidates expressed interest and at least deserved a forum to outline their approach to the role.

The legal professions self righteousness in this regard and that they deserve a special, different process was identified as an area to be addressed by the troika. However, we are no closer to this than before.

Its disappointing for other public servants to go through tougher recruitment processes but at least these are fairer and above board.

We get what we vote for I guess......Mulherin will regrettably be around for a while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Super post Finisklin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Considering Michelle was Enda pick. She might be around the next time.

According to Indo article about Enda's public speaking (non) adventures, Michelle Mulherin and Paddy Burke will be running for FG next time. Although given the former is described as 'TD' I wouldn't stake my life on its accuracy. No mention of Ring but I presume we would have heard by now if he wasn't standing.

Hopefully Paddy Burke will be steadier and more assured in front of the press. I assume he has nothing to prove and is a safe pair of hands. Time will tell I guess.....

Any word on Enda declaring his hand for presidency?

finisklin wrote: »
    Hopefully Paddy Burke will be steadier and more assured in front of the press. I assume he has nothing to prove and is a safe pair of hands. Time will tell I guess.....

Any word on Enda declaring his hand for presidency?

Apparently ruled it out when picking up that honorary degree or whatever it was.

Apparently ruled it out when picking up that honorary degree or whatever it was.

Saving himself for after Michael D's second term. Its probably Michael D's at this stage once he declares.....

If Ring wants to run again, I believe he will be nominated by FG and will be re-elected

nuac wrote: »
    If Ring wants to run again, I believe he will be nominated by FG and will be re-elected

Almost certainly. But who, if anyone, from FG in Mayo will be joining him (I think we can rule out 3 out of 4 for FG)? I know nothing of Burke but on the surface Mulherin would seem to hold a lot of cards: former TD, higher profile, north of the county to herself...

Sounds like an endorsement for a female Donald Trump.

Know this lady for years. I stand over my endorsement of her

I hear FF having election convention 19th NOV.

Presume it will be Calleary and Chambers.

Or without Enda will they go for a third runner?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

I think Calleary and Chambers will poll well, FF might try and bring a no.3 in the hope of good transfers.

• Advertisement

I had been thinking Mayo was pretty much locked down 2 FF, 2 FG, but with both parties polling strongly nationally, they'll probably both be eyeing up a third seat. Adrian Kavanagh's latest poll analysis gives FG three in Mayo: https://adriankavanaghelections.org/2017/10/05/the-empire-strikes-back-constituency-level-analysis-of-the-irish-times-ipsos-mrbi-opinion-poll-5th-october-2017/

But if FF run a strong third candidate and are surging across the country on the day, who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Poor Michelle. She doesn't make it easy for herself: https://mobile.twitter.com/rnerrionstreet/status/929339225681616896?s=09

Dudda wrote: »
    Poor Michelle. She doesn't make it easy for herself: https://mobile.twitter.com/rnerrionstreet/status/929339225681616896?s=09

I think that legal background will militate against her. Out of touch with reality and on the ground. She will be hard pressed to retain her seat given the hits on the gaffometer.

Kavanagh's final forecast for Mayo is FG 2, FF 2

i see press reports that FG seeking a candidate from Castlebar.

They might as well leave that vote to Ring, placing their second runner in Ballina area.

The Blue Tide has gone out

As expected going with just C&C. http://www.mayonews.ie/news/31151-fianna-fail-out-of-the-blocks-and-on-election-footing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

I will tell you straight, Mayo FG needs to stand back and have a look at what they are doing here with Mulherne, she is just not liked. I actually admire her resilience at this stage. But that phone scandal just wont go away. Then we had ticket gate and bypasss mess.

By F.G. refusing to face up to this and offer their core a candidate without baggage and who has a clean slate with the national media they risk alienating them selves from the people.

If I was in FF I would be putting serous consideration into running another Female Mayo Candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Kavanagh's final forecast for Mayo is FG 2, FF 2

i see press reports that FG seeking a candidate from Castlebar.

They might as well leave that vote to Ring, placing their second runner in Ballina area.

The Blue Tide has gone out

That appears the most likely outcome,I can't see Michelle Mulherin securing a seat,too gaffe prone.

Hard to see where Fine Gael will find a candidate in Castlebar?

From tonight's news FG would need to finalise its Mayo slate.

Best option would be to run Michelle in North Mayo along with Ring

seligehgit wrote: »
    That appears the most likely outcome,I can't see Michelle Mulherin securing a seat,too gaffe prone.

Hard to see where Fine Gael will find a candidate in Castlebar?

That Indo article I quoted suggested that Senator Paddy Burke would be a candidate. Be unusual for a guy in his sixties to run for the Dail for the first time but needs must I suppose. FG's calculation may be that their chances of holding two seats are enhanced by running three candidates even if they have no realistic chance of taking a third...

• Advertisement

Well it looks like FG have sourced a Castlebar-based candidate out of leftfield. Left-half forward to be precise. http://www.mayonews.ie/news/31209-fine-gael-and-footballer-alan-dillon-in-talks-about-surprise-general-election-bid-2

Maybe they're thinking there's a gap for a 'strong GAA man' on the ticket in the absence of Kenny and O'Mahony.

Advertisement