Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

expansys.ie...any good?

• 17-09-2004 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hey All,

Thinking of buying a new phone, maybe a Nokia 6610 or 6100, coz i've had a brick for years. I am pay as you go at the moment and would like to stay that way, however Sim-free prhones are so expensive. I was checking out https://www.expansys.ie/ and they seem to have good deals, but I know nothing about the site. Does anyone know if this is reputable? Safe to buy off? Where they get their phones from?
    Or alternatively are there any other good sites out there to buy mobiles?

Thanks a lot,

Flinty!

P.S Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, wasn't sure if this should be in the FS Mobiles as I am neither buying nor selling, just looking for info on sites.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Flinty

Actually, one more question while I'm at it. I'm heading to the states in a month. Would Nokias tend to be cheaper over there? I think the two phones i'm looking at are tri-band, so it should be ok, right? Are there any issuues with buying american phones?
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I think the think with expansys is that its cheaper to buy from the UK site as opposed to the Irish site, and thats taking postage into account too. I think www.mobilefun.co.uk are fairly decent too. I bought my nokia 6600 from the expansys UK site last december and it turned out cheaper than the irish site. Ahh well

If you get a tri-band nokia in the US, it'll work over here. In the same way that my tri-band 6310i works in the US.

Great stuff Rymus...thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'd echo what Rymus said about Expansys - very reputable company, never any problems with them. Don't be surprised if they ask you for a photo copy of your credit card the first time you order. And as Rymus also said - order of the .co.uk site, it works out cheaper.

As for buying a phone in the US - I have found it very difficult to get one SIM free over here. They are not too clued in on the whole GSM thing, so don't expect any help from sales assistants in shops - they have a package to sell you, with a few expections, they don't know much outside of their scripts.

Go with Expansys - at least if something goes wrong, they are at the end of an e-mail and will respond fairly promptly.

Lovely stuff Mr Dunne, I think it's Expansys so. Cheers for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

actually, tom said what I forgot to add, expansys asked me to fax them a copy (front & back) of my credit card & driving license. I take it that thats pretty much standard practice for some companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭fletch

fish4fones is another good website for sim-free phones...based in Dublin....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

re this thread: eXpansys Irish site which discussed the site's introduction / price differences etc...

the UK site can work out cheaper for items of higher value alright like SIM Free handsets, but just to be aware that everything isn't cheaper e.g. for lower value items / accessories etc. the Irish site can offer a better price - just ordered some kit today and it worked out about Eur 25 cheaper using the Irish site... (mainly due to Airsure vs. FedEx shipping)

eXpansys aren't always the cheapest (although that Deal of the Day can be quite generous at times), so the likes of mphone.co.uk and livetelecom.com would be other sites I compare with before making any orders...

mobilefun.co.uk is great of accessories, but a previous poster mentioned they weren't able to order a handset earlier in the year, this note also appears on the site's SIM Free Handset pages...
    Unfortunately, we cannot accept orders for mobile phones from outside the United Kingdom.

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

tom dunne wrote:
    As for buying a phone in the US - I have found it very difficult to get one SIM free over here. They are not too clued in on the whole GSM thing, so don't expect any help from sales assistants in shops - they have a package to sell you, with a few expections, they don't know much outside of their scripts.

Could this be connected to how hard it is to get an unregistered pre-paid sim over there? perhaps only terrorists want phones sim free?

J

Advertisement