Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wales - suggestions anyone ?

Options
  • 17-04-2019 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of taking the car over to Holyhead and spending 3 or 4 days in Wales. I've never been (other than heading to/from the ferry). No kids, just 2 of us. Any ideas of places to go/things to do please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Wrexham is a great town, some nice pubs/food places. We been there a few times (friends live there)and always enjoyed it.

https://www.pontcysyllte-aqueduct.co.uk/ is amazing !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Snowdonia, Llandudno, Caernarfon.

Bangor supposed to be nice but never been.

Avoid Rhyl.

If you’re going over and back via Holyhead in a couple of days probably not worth doing South Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

National parks, steam trains, longest double zip wire, coastal walks, country pubs, grand houses, smooth twisty roads, castles, coal pits, lots of Brexit voters. What do you fancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

National parks, steam trains, longest double zip wire, coastal walks, country pubs, grand houses, smooth twisty roads, castles, coal pits, lots of Brexit voters. What do you fancy?
    :D

Sounds good to me. Thanks so much for all your suggestions, definitely worth a trip by the look of things

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Cardiff is good for a city break. Loved the Mermaid Quay area, which you can reach by waterbus from the park next to the Castle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'd head for Chester myself although it ain't in Wales. The drive along the coast is good. And Conway Castle is amazing as are many other things along that drive.

Just a suggestion, but Chester is something else too. Lovely spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Was there last weekend and stopped in Bedgellert. Lovely, lovely place.

Stayed a few years ago in Betws y coed. Recommend that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

It's beautiful yes, was there (with 4 kids) last summer in the heatwave. Only thing, make sure you have your Google maps / sat nav, and if you go off the main routes, expect some mega steep roads and hairpin bends.

That's it, I'm definitely going !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭coleen

Can I ask for suggestions for South Wales. We like to walk and will go either Rosslare Fishguard or Pembroke
    We are looking for a nice costal town not too far from Swansea where we will go for a day to visit a friend
    We like to walk cycle and any golf recommendations welcome also.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

+1 for Llandudno. Pier. Tram to summit. Old mine/caves halfway up.

Conwy. Castle. Smallest house in Britain is there IIRC.

North Wales is also home to Portmeirion.

Further south Snowdonia National Park, but any further my knowledge is limited.

Not in Wales obviously but Chester isn't a far drive and is a beautiful place.

coleen wrote: »
    Can I ask for suggestions for South Wales. We like to walk and will go either Rosslare Fishguard or Pembroke
    We are looking for a nice costal town not too far from Swansea where we will go for a day to visit a friend
    We like to walk cycle and any golf recommendations welcome also.
    Thanks

Pembroke coastal path. Brecon Beacons for walking too. The extent of public Rights of Way puts Ireland to shame.
    Gower peninsula is gorgeous. Close to Swansea. Spectacular beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Stay in my hometown of Llandudno, perfect base and pretty central to places you'll be visiting. You could spend half a day in Conwy visiting the castle then go to maybe Bodnant Garden in Glan Conwy.
    Another day you could drive down the valley towards Llanrwst/Betws y Coed and if you're feeling really adventurous go to Zip world, think it's on of the worlds longest zip lines, thats in Blaenau Ffestiniog (1hr drive from llandudno but cracking scenery)
    Another day you don't really need to leave Llandudno, walk down the prom and then down the pier, then ya can go up the Great Orme, visit the old copper mines of have a drink at the summit bar.
    Another idea is Snowdon, get a train to the summit, well worth it.

Damn i'm missing home just writing about all that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

betwys y coed and conwy

Bluebells! They must be common in Wales too this time of year. Don't know where exactly - well in the woods obviously.

You could go to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, but by the time you have it in your sat nav, your trip would be over.

Just back and have to say we had a fantastic time. Got the early morning Swift ferry and heading to Conwy first. Very nice place with a fine castle, nice shops and very decent coffee spots. We stayed here just on the edge of Betwys y coed https://tygwynhotel.co.uk/. We were very happy with the accommodation and the food there is amazing. The food everywhere was excellent.
    There is SO much to do in North Wales, we really only got a taste of it over the 4 days. Just one hour off the ferry and you can be in middle of Snowdonia National Park. Stunning scenery, beautiful towns and villages, nice pubs, loads of outdoor activities.........
    We got halfway up Snowdon but the weather was terrible. We were unlucky, they closed the summit due to high winds. I'll definitely go back and do it again though. We did the National Slate museum which sounds boring but it was brilliant. Really gave an insight into the history of the region, it was well worth going and it's free. Just threw a few quid into the donation box. We went to Portmeiron, Porthmadog, Beddgelert -all beautiful.
    Thanks Nirkjos for the headsup on https://www.pontcysyllte-aqueduct.co.uk/.
    Had lunch in the nice pub there, lovely atmosphere with the canal and barges. Walked across the aquaduct and it scared the bejaysis outa me.
    Heading back for the ferry, we stopped at Asda in Bangor and bought plenty of cheap wine, happy days !
    Seriously though, it's a great place to go. Great place for a family holiday if you have active kids/teenagers, lots of watersports/rock climbing/mountain biking. Didn't get time to do the Zip line but it's top of the list for our next visit. https://www.zipworld.co.uk/adventure/velocity
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

If you're an outdoor enthusiast, North Wales ticks all the boxes. The mountains of Snowdonia are top notch and the coastal walking in Anglesy and the Llyn Peninsula is overshadowed only by the world-class Pembrokeshire Coastal Path in South Wales.

I try to get over at least once a year. For the coastal walking, you can just go over as a foot passenger on any of the ferries and you're straight onto it. Use a luggage transfer service to ensure you're only carrying what you need for the day. I really couldn't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Collie D wrote: »
    Snowdonia, Llandudno, Caernarfon.

Bangor supposed to be nice but never been.

Avoid Rhyl.

If you’re going over and back via Holyhead in a couple of days probably not worth doing South Wales.

What’s wrong with Rhyl? Any time I’ve passed it on the train it just looks like a typical seaside resort, maybe that’s why?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Qrt wrote: »
    What’s wrong with Rhyl? Any time I’ve passed it on the train it just looks like a typical seaside resort, maybe that’s why?

It's a horrendous place, the front is all delapidated, just cheap arcades and even cheaper b&b's (a lot filled with social housing, drug addicts).
    It's full of wannabe hardmen who act the part every weekend night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

stayed in the tygwyn hotel in January. amazing place. hope the work was finished.

stayed in the tygwyn hotel in January. amazing place. hope the work was finished.

Seems to be, we got a newly refurbished room. They did a great job on it, no expense spared on the fittings and decor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭positron

Last summer wife and I took the motorbike to Wales. It was class. Amazing roads, passes, beautiful landscape, nice villages, lakes.. overall and awesome place, so close to ferry as well.

We stayed a night in llanberis, and walked up Snowden following the miners route (iirc), fantastic views and amazing day for it, and walked down the long path (can't remember what it's called). I am considering taking kids, plenty to do there for all types of visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Mount Snowdon has six established hiking routes from base to summit.

There's also a railway from Llanberis Village to the summit. Believe it or not, there's a cafe at the top!!!

Great scenery on a clear day.

The hiking routes range in difficulty. One of them is relatively simple and a 10-year old could finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement