Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Let's keep it light (solas) :D - watches are supposed to be fun, disposable income goods - have a few more bigger name interviewers getting in touch too - new set of questions received today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

Suggest wibbs tidy up all the bull**** and people keep this thread on topic.

It embarrassing IMO.

@ TF have you gained many followers from the feature in abtw

There was a pretty big effect I think (and not finished yet) - moved from 150 3 days ago to 228 now. Now that Sólás got bumped up to the marquee spot hopefully a further bump might come along directly. One further learnt is that followers are rather soft (from a marketing standpoint) - that you want to get the email address and build up a sufficiently large email list to contact in the final days pre-launch to get people lined up for launch day. So you can see that the KS page actually this time mentions to email Sólás and get added to the list (the people who want to get the notification are apparently a lot more likely to back). In terms of those numbers I think I got 6-8 people who may be more "hard" backers - it's nice chatting to people who are interested in the watch too.

A number of other benefits include other publications becoming interested in the piece, having something to add to the ad piece and of course now the possibility of an ABTW review after I'm on the map with them now.

If I can get an estimated 80 people coming from the July campaign this would mean 220 needed for MOQ - if it's a convert rate of 25% of followers to backers I would need 880 followers for day 1 MOQ. - last time round "convert rate" was around 20% (so 1100 followers needed)

To hit 100% funding goal (project goes ahead and I don't lose money making it I estimate need to have followers at 600 to try and get to day one funded.

I think the aim in these two months is to exceed 600 followers by as much as possible to try and get that day one/two funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Saw the Solas ad on instagram today, looked great

Hopefully you didn't click it :D (just kidding - with newbie marketing accounts you can only choose to be billed via "pay on shown" - so you seeing the ad means the cost is deducted from the account already).

Glad to hear it looks good - hopefully I can have a separate "as seen on Worn & Wound" slide soon enough too.

• Advertisement

Instagram are the best at targeting their ads. The only relevant ads I've ever clicked on in my life was instagram.

Once I started researching into ads targetting apparently FB (and Instagram owned by FB) are just so far ahead of anyone else - Youtube/Google. Best bang for the buck apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,769 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Is FB / Instagram your target market though?

unkel wrote: »

Loads of good watch stuff on instagram. I'm not on facebook, not sure what that's like. But instagram is great for it, loads of fancy expensive stuff, then the cheaper stuff and lots of modded stuff. Recently followed a seiko mod shop. Handy when scrolling past pictures of women with sticking their arses out to see a few watches.

Yeah - it seems like it is - I've joined up to around 10 microbrand facebook groups - around 50,000 members in those groups in total. These are the people who will really love the Starlight potentially since they give the microbrands a chance.

Same on instagram - that's where all the hip kids are nowadays (who obviously don't use the word "hip").

ABTW and their likes might actually be considered "old guard" - or the newspapers of yesteryear.

You get one "influencer" who might show your watch off to his/her 120,000 followers (who are into watches) and bam it might get funded like that.

Same with Youtube reviewers etc.

The people who are browsing Hodinkee and spending 6k on a travel clock might not be super interested in a 350 euro watch - so I'll have to get back to one on the exact metrics.

I can tell you that there are ads being targetted at age ranges from 22-44 (felt that was best use of funds) on FB/Instagram and the majority of ads seem to fall into the 30+ age group - so plenty of people on instagram/facebook who are interested in watches it would seem.

• Advertisement

Here's a nice long read/interview with an online publication:
    https://www.beansandbezels.com/articles/solas-starlight-watch-release/

Candid questions asked and candid answers provided :) - for those who don't want to go from the start of the thread to this post it's a good summary of my goals, thoughts and hopes for Sólás.

As I said to the interviewer - as long as a question isn't being asked maliciously then I'm happy to answer it (if they think their readers would be interested in knowing the answer). I guess the quid pro quo was that they don't censor/edit my answer to fit any particular narrative either.

He put a lot of interesting links into the article too - you can check out the Sea-Gull factory tour I did a few years back (complete with erotic puppetry minute repeaters like those naught Blancpains) - was with MsThirdfox and my mother-in-law who asked me "so these are the kinds of watches you're in to?" :o

Like buses - two in one day:

https://wornandwound.com/

Front page of Worn & Wound! And after the kerfuffle about being happy over a "sponsored post" - well I think I'm entitled to be fully happy about this article here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Fantastic write up! Just noticed your website and some articles still link to the cancelled GoFundMe with no option to express an interest:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solaswatches/solas-starlight-an-irish-micro-rotor-watch/

Think this is the current one?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solaswatches/solas-starlight-an-irish-affordable-micro-rotor-watch

david wrote: »
    Fantastic write up! Just noticed your website and some articles still link to the cancelled GoFundMe with no option to express an interest:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solaswatches/solas-starlight-an-irish-micro-rotor-watch/

Think this is the current one?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solaswatches/solas-starlight-an-irish-affordable-micro-rotor-watch

Doggone it - I thought I picked them all up! :o - it was a pretty insidious one you picked up - the link's wording was right but redirecting to the old campaign. It was also the only wrong link left so thanks for spotting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I got the ad on Insta too, blocked it so it won't show for me again since i'm already in:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,468 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Time wrote: »
    I got the ad on Insta too, blocked it so it won't show for me again since i'm already in:D

Just on that, does anyone know if you block the ad as irrelevant does it keep TF's advertising budget on insta untouched?
    Is the charge per ad served? Or per click through?

It's on per ad served so blocking it won't necessarily save me any money - it doesn't matter though I think they charge ad servings on the per thousand servings (Cost Per Mille - CPM) - I'm educating myself on a lot of these terms the last while!

Oh and the excitement isn't finished for this evening...

Here's the new short ad for the Starlight (that will probably be getting its own ad campaign on FB/Insta too):

"Feel free to comment, like and subscribe" :p

Storyboard written by myself and brought to life by a wonderful artist up on fiverr.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

That’s pretty slick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

That is gorgeous.

Liked, subscribed, distributed! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I’m setting the over under on target at , 24 hours . I’ll take the under.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Another great review here

I like his 'Lord of the Rings vibe' comment :D

It's also the last one with the prototype unit.

All future reviews will have the proper production unit model being reviewed. The logo spacing might be important enough on a subconscious level that I'm keen to get the new one being looked at asap (though still getting plenty of "looks CS" - and will do I'm sure). Might check fiverr.com to see if someone might give a "reinterpretation" of blzee font and get a Sólás font (like Hodinkee...just without the extra zeros on the back of my price :D ).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Thirdfox wrote: »
    It's also the last one with the prototype unit.

All future reviews will have the proper production unit model being reviewed. The logo spacing might be important enough on a subconscious level that I'm keen to get the new one being looked at asap (though still getting plenty of "looks CS" - and will do I'm sure). Might check fiverr.com to see if someone might give a "reinterpretation" of blzee font and get a Sólás font (like Hodinkee...just without the extra zeros on the back of my price :D ).

Is changing the logo font still something you're considering?

No - definitely not up for discussion now. But for future models *touch wood* - I might get a typographical artist to see if they would like to suggest some reinterpretations of the logo that might be more acceptable to a wider range of people (and better incorporating the fadas into the logo).

A minor update - this morning followers on the Kickstarter page have reached above 400.

Also - more than 100 people on the mailing list already.

The main reviews are yet to take place yet - but we're currently in a "good" pre-launch spot with the main push yet to come prior to launch date.

It feels good to be contacted by content creators for once to see if they can get their hands on the watch for a review. But definitely not counting chickens before they hatch or being overconfident - will be treating this launch as make or break for Sólás (because it is - as said before - if this re-launch fails after throwing another 6 grand into the marketing aspect well I'll have a few Starlight prototypes to pass on for some backers who really, really wanted one but I'll be chalking it up to life experience and taking a break from watch projects).

Of course arguably the real task would only begin after the funding portion finishes and the real watch work begins (though that is my natural comfort zone and less of this marketing).

Was speaking to a marketing consultant who happened to be a watch fan - like them or hate them - MVMT/Daniel Wellington etc. are impressive as companies. MVMT was sold for $100 million recently and DW (they stole my name! :D ) is at $180 million in value. I made the point that they are two really good marketing companies which happen to make watches :P ... marketing hasn't come naturally to me (people might recall me finding it queasy... but the proof is in the pudding - without the extra few grand spent in marketing the Starlight would most likely have died on the vine - now in the last few weeks we had the Starlight featured in the news on W&W).

Well Rolex do spend the same amount on marketing as on their R&D I believe - that might be a good indicator of what a successful "business" needs to do. Thing is - I want to save backers money and just make interesting watches - but if I can't sell these watches then there won't be anything to make :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sure is a steep learning curve, reminds me of building a house by direct labour.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,769 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thirdfox wrote: »
    MVMT was sold for $100 million recently and DW (they stole my name! :D ) is at $180 million in value. I made the point that they are two really good marketing companies which happen to make watches :P ... marketing hasn't come naturally to me (people might recall me finding it queasy... but the proof is in the pudding - without the extra few grand spent in marketing the Starlight would most likely have died on the vine - now in the last few weeks we had the Starlight featured in the news on W&W).

Well Rolex do spend the same amount on marketing as on their R&D I believe - that might be a good indicator of what a successful "business" needs to do.

For comparison Tesla has never spent a cent on marketing, yet* they are now the most valuable car company in the world! :D

* or should I say "because", as they spent all their money on R&D instead :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For comparison Tesla has never spent a cent on marketing, yet* they are now the most valuable car company in the world! :D
    Well... not quite. They use social marketing where their fans sell the cars and defend said brand heavily.* Other brands do this. Rolex an obvious one in latter years after a heavy run of traditional marketing particularly outside their traditional markets, where they were already bloody good at marketing. Wilsdorf the founder was a bona fide genius of marketing from the get go. Even the name Rolex was chosen to be easy to remember and pronounce for his anglophone market. That later push was most notably in the US in the 70's, at first off the back of the popularity of sport diving and explorers and the like, while pushing the middle class on the up luxury angle. The difference with Tesla was they focused entirely on that particular sort of marketing which doesn't need the usual conduits to do it.

*after the initial roll out was aimed at money no object early adopters which gave them their original brand recognition. That and a push through media, at first traditional then much more online.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

* or should I say "because", as they spent all their money on R&D instead :pac:

Tesla haven't spent money on traditional marketing. Instead they market their cars like tech products, giving free loaners to tech vloggers etc. I'm sure it costs money to do this, but yeah, they aren't buying traditional print and TV ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Ionised

One might argue that the Supercharger network is part marketing spend for Tesla.

Advertisement