Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get rid of old meds besides pharmacy

• 02-04-2020 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

is there any safe way for me to dispose of old meds? I don't want to go to my pharmacy as I have had a lot of health issues over the years and thus trialed many meds, so I have lots left over. They will probably think I am non-compliant, but I have always consulted with my doctor when changing meds. I've also had strange reactions to medicines, so have had to stop them for that reason.

Can I pay somewhere to dispose of them safely?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Where are you?

Fingal’s recycling/waste centre near Airside takes medicines.

Don’t know if others do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Surely you can go to any old pharmacy, you don't have to go to your usual one if you think that might cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A pharmacy will not hold an enquiry, just hand them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Galbin

Is that the one in Coolemine?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

As an aside; most pharmacies have to pay another company to take away and destroy patient returned and out of date medicines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Please hold onto them for the moment. Most pharmacies are overwhelmed with work while trying to keep their staff and premises free from any possible source of infection.

I know lots of people are tidying up and decluttering but this is not a good time to move ANYTHING from one place to another unless you absolutely have to.

Alun wrote: »
    Surely you can go to any old pharmacy, you don't have to go to your usual one if you think that might cause problems.

Do *NOT* go to “any old pharmacy”.

Alun, please refrain from answering if you don’t actually know the answer.

I for one will not take back medicines that have been supplied by a different pharmacy.

It costs the pharmacy money to dispose of it. Quite a lot of money actually. And while I’d be willing to do that if I (or my employer) had already been paid to supply it in the first place, we absolutely do not want to pay to dispose of medicines that our competitors had been paid to supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Do *NOT* go to “any old pharmacy”.

Alun, please refrain from answering if you don’t actually know the answer.

I for one will not take back medicines that have been supplied by a different pharmacy.

It costs the pharmacy money to dispose of it. Quite a lot of money actually. And while I’d be willing to do that if I (or my employer) had already been paid to supply it in the first place, we absolutely do not want to pay to dispose of medicines that our competitors had been paid to supply.
    Apologies, I, like probably most people, was unaware of that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Is there really anything wrong with just dumping them in your black bin? That's what I'd do ... (genuine question, I'm on a lot of meds so if there's anything wrong with doing it, it's best if I know!)

Exactly. This is why I didn't just go to another pharmacy, as I know that only the dispensing pharmacy will take old meds. I don't understand why there are not medicine recycling centres in more locations though, as I am sure many people would be happy to pay to dispose of old meds in a safe and quick way.

• Advertisement

Is there really anything wrong with just dumping them in your black bin? That's what I'd do ... (genuine question, I'm on a lot of meds so if there's anything wrong with doing it, it's best if I know!)

They end up at landfill and are a threat to animals and the environment. :(

Alun wrote: »
    Apologies, I, like probably most people, was unaware of that fact.

I appreciate your apology, but at the same time I reiterate my previous comment; you should never have replied when you didn’t know the answer to the question asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I appreciate your apology, but at the same time I reiterate my previous comment; you should never have replied when you didn’t know the answer to the question asked.

Jeez get over it like. These boards would be very quiet if we weren't allowed voice our opinions unless we were experts in the area. Everyone knows to take any advice given here with a pinch of salt. :rolleyes:

Advertisement