Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is a Fianna Fail - Sinn Fein coalition inevitable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Lads I don’t even see much points in these threads. Two sides , both won’t budge. So no point in trying to change opinion. A new party here that was competent could take twenty to twenty five percent of the vote in my opinion ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/progressive-ireland-is-a-fantasy-cultivated-by-elites-1.3841954?mode=amp

People here may defend dumb and dumber , but they are proven failures. If sf were in power would they have allowed the vulture fund and Nama farces? Flogging off asserts here , like apartment blocks for a pittance? That now cost the tax payer a fortune to purchase?

devlinio wrote: »
    Would be a disaster. We need FG to continue the good work they are doing.

We will not see the results overnight, but look at where we were 5 years ago compared to now. We're basically a different country. People will look back in 2025 and finally appreciate the work FG is doing.

Where are we? Still pathetic infrastructure, marginal rate of tax is a farce. Law and order? Lol. Housing and the entire housing set up is a farce. No , they have been In power over eight years , over 3000 nights , enough is enough ...

See you can’t fix problems for one section of society, when those aims are totally at odds with your cronies and mates and even yourself...

Are pretty much all decision makers here property owners ? Yes ... there we start , the decision makers have a massive interest in rising property prices ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Where are we? Still pathetic infrastructure, marginal rate of tax is a farce. Law and order? Lol. Housing and the entire housing set up is a farce. No , they have been In power over eight years , over 3000 nights , enough is enough ...

See you can’t fix problems for one section of society, when those aims are totally at odds with your cronies and mates and even yourself...

Are pretty much all decision makers here property owners ? Yes ... there we start , the decision makers have a massive interest in rising property prices ...

How long are the troika gone?

Do you realise how broke we were up until a few years ago?

I do. I realise hard decisions not being taken , Have us where we are now. Workers the last few budgets on 34k or thereabouts, have received a e1.50 week usc reduction and varadkar that rat talks about rewarding the early risers? While property costs still rocket.

UN says Ireland applies 'preferential tax laws' to vultures funds and it 'cannot continue' Read that during the week, google it if interested. Too many right at the top and many at the “ bottom” just taking the piss. Hence many working people are totally screwed, paying for it all. Income taxes gone from twelve to twenty billion over the last few years! Raising jsa and jsb when fg keep on harping on anoint full employment and there are endless more worthy and better causes for that money , show you how spineless they really are!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

again, we werent doing too badly leading up to the crash, regularly running a surplus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,154 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

A Fianna Fail/Sinn Fein coalition is the only real alternative to a Fine Gael government. In my opinion, it is also the most likely outcome to an election.

If Fianna Fail bring down the current government, then they have to put forward in an election an alternative that doesn't include Fine Gael. There is no way that they will make up the numbers without Sinn Fein.

For Fianna Fail to be in government without Fine Gael and without Sinn Fein, then they a miracle in the polls. The polls have barely shifted in the last year, suggesting no real appetite for change out there. If the government collapsed in a scandal, FF could go above 30%, but at the moment that is the limit.

At the same time, it would take a massive surge for FG and/or the decimation of independents for it to govern without both Sinn Fein and Fianna Fail. If we don't have a minority FG government back, then it has to be FF/SF.

We know there will be an election pretty soon. We know that traffic and housing, likely are going to get worse. Pinnochio will have another budget with an insult to workers. That’s what we know! That ff are that pathetic that they are preying for another crisis , despite ff being so bad and don’t try to win more votes by good policy or less of their old politics , tells you a lot !

Amazing.

How many lives did FF affect with decimating the country only 10 years ago.

And they will be back in next all because of some faux outrage over 10,000 people who mostly want a house for free.

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Amazing.

And they will be back in next all because of some faux outrage over 10,000 people who mostly want a house for free.

Unbelievable.

No, you're a free house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Amazing.

Unbelievable.

There is a lot that will never forget. Like you, I blame them for destroying my country. I will never vote for them again. And a lot of people are in the same boat. So it’s going to be coalitions for a long time.

While I dislike FG. I will vote them tactically ahead of FF.
    Remember it’s more important to use all your votes than not to vote. E.G. I will always vote FF last, probably for the rest of my life.

• Advertisement

SNIP. Take the ranting elsewhere please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,058 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: No more ranting please. Post deleted.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lads I don’t even see much points in these threads. Two sides , both won’t budge. So no point in trying to change opinion. A new party here that was competent could take twenty to twenty five percent of the vote in my opinion ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/progressive-ireland-is-a-fantasy-cultivated-by-elites-1.3841954?mode=amp
    Whatever drugs that writer is on, I'd like some please. He seems to be in happy place with tangerine trees and marmalade skies! As always commentary outside equates us with the left/right divide of the rest of Europe. We already have our own brand of populism - it's called election promises.

20% you say. Is that based on a straw poll of me and my friends?
    People here may defend dumb and dumber , but they are proven failures. If sf were in power would they have allowed the vulture fund and Nama farces? Flogging off asserts here , like apartment blocks for a pittance? That now cost the tax payer a fortune to purchase?

The only cost the tax payer has had is the black hole of Anglo. Everything else has been or will be paid for. If you imagine a two-fingered salute by a sitting SF government would have worked take a look at the Greek experience.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would see FF or SF slowly ceasing to be in any coalition, FF in an FG/FF and SF in a FF/SF. Possibly even FF in s numbers reversed SF/FF but tonight's poll suggests that's slipping further away.

Some members including some backbenchers would probably leave at the thought of it on day one. Others with less immediately disgust may ebb away and those left in the middle may see logic in merging. That could start with election deals, particularly by elections or 3 seaters where there is room for one only.

why is my comment getting taken down! FG wanted more fuel poured on the fire during the boom, when they obviously would have loved to have been at the helm (understandably). The music stopped when FF had the parcel in their hands. That isnt a rant, that is fact!

FG want a pat on the back because of "chance" , "timing"?

It has been shown here time and time again Richard Bruton calling on FF to stop the spending wrecklessly and producing budgets to match during the boom.

You know this as well.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Whatever drugs that writer is on, I'd like some please. He seems to be in happy place with tangerine trees and marmalade skies! As always commentary outside equates us with the left/right divide of the rest of Europe. We already have our own brand of populism - it's called election promises.

20% you say. Is that based on a straw poll of me and my friends?

The only cost the tax payer has had is the black hole of Anglo. Everything else has been or will be paid for. If you imagine a two-fingered salute by a sitting SF government would have worked take a look at the Greek experience.

Funny thing is SF votes for the bank guarantee.

Won’t hear them saying that though.

It has been shown here time and time again Richard Bruton calling on FF to stop the spending wrecklessly and producing budgets to match during the boom.

You know this as well.

I dont recall this, that is not to say it didnt happen. Hardly took Warren Buffet to say "STOP" the madness, knowing at some point in the future, sure as night follows day, the idiocy of it all , would come home to roost!

I dont recall this, that is not to say it didnt happen. Hardly took Warren Buffet to say "STOP" the madness, knowing at some point in the future, sure as night follows day, the idiocy of it all , would come home to roost!

Yet you’re somehow blaming FG????

• Registered Users Posts: 27,154 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/0330/1039630-poll-politics/

That poll makes it even harder to see an alternative to the current set-up.

FF and SF only get to 38%, well short of what is required.

FG (31), Labour (5), SD (3) and Green (3) get to 42%, which if it all fell the right way and picked up 5 or 6 independents could be close, but that is a long shot.

FF and FG add to 56% and a different FF leader might justify it on the basis of being able to keep a closer eye on FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The question is for SF and others is, would having SF as a minority partner revive their fortunes or be the kiss of death?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Exactly and to be honest probably didn’t do much in school and didn’t bother with college.

That’s life, sounds harsh but it’s true.

Hard work pays.

Having parents that can fund decent education helps a good bit too.

Would you give over.

Anything to suggest FGs time is up not forgetting their still polling the highest?

The housing crisis is a myth created by the left but people are starting to see through the lies.

https://twitter.com/mammaxine/status/1111920084665204736?s=19

????

What??

There’s elections on the horizon. Politicians will be offering and claiming credit for finding homes for da needy.

????

What??

€1800 for a 3-bed house in Tallaght

€1800 for a 3-bed house in Tallaght

Did you read the comments?

People offering a 3 bed for 1200 a month.

Just because this women tweets she wants a 3 bed for 1800 doesn’t mean that’s the going rate.

More nonsense on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

myshirt wrote: »
    Would you give over.

Anything to suggest FGs time is up not forgetting their still polling the highest?

The housing crisis is a myth created by the left but people are starting to see through the lies.

18,000 homes built last year.

30,000 built in all of the UK last year.

We’re not doing too bad and once you do a bit of research and not listen to eoin Ó Broin and Paul
    Murphy this becomes evident.

Are you having a giraffe?

Fine Gael have done quite bad on housing. They have ignored good advice because it's politically unpalatable and they don't have the competence to deliver. For example, property taxes need to almost double, CAT thresholds need to drop hugely, more apartments need to be built, the transport unions need to be taken on, social housing support capped at 5 years, planning permission linked to target costs / proposed selling prices, those with parental support to buy or living at home to save need to be taxed, the list goes on.

Actually they have done a worse job on infrastructure, no improvements since they came to power and Leo was blaming FF for their not being enough trains recently.

Housing crisis is being used as an excuse to build houses without proper infrastructure in place

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Actually they have done a worse job on infrastructure, no improvements since they came to power and Leo was blaming FF for their not being enough trains recently

Strange so the new Luas lines and the N7 lane extensions and the newlands cross flyover for example, three things i encountered yesterday must have been my imagination.

We should have built a metro when we were borrowing daily just to keep the country barely running 5 years ago.

Silly decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Strange so the new Luas lines and the N7 lane extensions and the newlands cross flyover for example, three things i encountered yesterday must have been my imagination.

We should have built a metro when we were borrowing daily just to keep the country barely running 5 years ago.

Silly decisions.

Just on the N7 upgrade, it will be great when it's done but I can't help feel there's a whiff of yellow pack going on with it.

Such a busy stretch of road being upgraded in any other country, and the workers would be at it 24/7.

It's a bit ridiculous that we seem to be only paying for the upgrade work to be carried out floor mid week construction, and no night time work going on.

As a very regular user of the road, it's a major pain in the hoop being stuck in major queues of traffic, and the 60km restrictions, with the speed cameras randomly and strategically placed on it. (Must be a nice earner though)

Looking at all the equipment on that road sitting Idle in the evenings and all the weekend is fairly disheartening.

No reason that road couldn't have been completed a lot sooner.

• Advertisement

Just on the N7 upgrade, it will be great when it's done but I can't help feel there's a whiff of yellow pack going on with it.

Such a busy stretch of road being upgraded in any other country, and the workers would be at it 24/7.

It's a bit ridiculous that we seem to be only paying for the upgrade work to be carried out floor mid week construction, and no night time work going on.

As a very regular user of the road, it's a major pain in the hoop being stuck in major queues of traffic, and the 60km restrictions, with the speed cameras randomly and strategically placed on it. (Must be a nice earner though)

Looking at all the equipment on that road sitting Idle in the evenings and all the weekend is fairly disheartening.

No reason that road couldn't have been completed a lot sooner.

Maybe it would cost more to have workers working day and night and someone no doubt would be whining in the Dail it could have been done cheaper if we didn’t have to pay for all the overtime.

There is no winning.

Advertisement