Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Army 1922

• 01-02-2019 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got a possible hit on FYP for an ancestor of mine in the 1922 census. Opened up the record through FYP and it looks promising.

Is there any trick to opening this on the military archive website as I'm getting no hits there.

Ok got it there..... any other ways to explore more information about his possible military record besides the census

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

You've probably already done this, but...

From this menu (left side panel), you might find some good info.

They have witness statements online here (type name in search)... Very insightful reading.

Scroll down and click on any of the online collections and genealogy here, you might find something ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You can also contact the Military Archives, prove your descent from the person, and get his full record.

If you search this forum, you'll see other people have done that before successfully, including me.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Hi all,

Got a possible hit on FYP for an ancestor of mine in the 1922 census. Opened up the record through FYP and it looks promising.

................Ok got it there..... any other ways to explore more information about his possible military record besides the census

There was no Census in 1922. Are you confusing it with the BMH statements (1950's) or thge pension applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Thanks very much guys.

Age, address and wife name matches.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Wasn't there census of the Irish Army in '22?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yep, Pedro, you're wrong for once. There was a military census in November 1922 (just people on duty on that particular night). Collins ordered it so they had an idea of what they had.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

I'll try dig a bit further anyway.

Thanks lads. Military aspect for this person is brand new to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Yep, Pedro, you're wrong for once. There was a military census in November 1922 (just people on duty on that particular night). Collins ordered it so they had an idea of what they had.
    For once? (Too kind!)

Forgot all about the MilCensus. Senior moment. :o:o

Apologies Limericklad, good luck im your searching.

Advertisement