Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish Government discussion thread [See Post 1805]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,386 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

markodaly wrote: »
    Who are they?
    It's obvious you do not remember, nor care.

You’re the one who suggested that FG did something in 02, so it’s up to you to do the convincing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Speculation now that the election will be held on 8th Feb which will be a Saturday. If that is confirmed it would be the first ever GE on that day of the week.

Last vote on a Saturday I'm aware of was the Childrens Rights Referendum in 2012 and before that possibly the 1918 GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Whatever about calling it on the same day as the 6 nations, at least for a change it is not on a weekday, forcing every school in the country to close. The teachers won't be happy i'd say.....they were probably expecting a day off for it. It makes complete sense to hold it at the weekend. If the majority of people want to vote they can make it..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Is there enough time for voters to process change of address/voting region?

My vote is in Dublin but moved to West Cork recently.
    There may be time to get included on the supplemental register.

If they go for the 8th Feb date, then the last date for getting your registration in will be Wednesday 22nd January.

If they go for 13th February (the latest it can be), then the last date for the register will be Monday 27th.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Taoiseach will visit the Áras at 2pm today to seek a dissolution of the Dáil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Varadkar put his posters up at the weekend.

<SNIP>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I thought there was a regulation against putting up any posters before the election date has been officially announced. Obviously I was mistaken.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

What a scumbag,

They only went up this morning as fas I can see? Still before they should have went up nonetheless.
    I thought there was a regulation against putting up any posters before the election date has been officially announced. Obviously I was mistaken.

There are. All parties are at it now though given that the election has been confirmed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are regs. Polling order has to be made, which it hasn't been yet.

If the date is more than 30 days after the polling order; which is normal for all non-General elections, its 30 days back from the date of the election.

In reality once the election date is sure everyone runs to get the spaces, so most will be up tonight. This is not a snap election in any real sense so everyone has posters ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

What did they do in 02?

With Michael Noonan as leader FG stated that FF were grossly inflating public spending which was putting the country at risk. The FG manifesto called for a reduction in spending to more sustainable levels. The Irish people wiped the floor with them, returning the fewest seats ever for FG I believe (maybe not fewest ever but definitely a terrible performance). FG said themselves OK, the Irish people don't want prudent economic policy and they made Enda leader. Cut to 2009 and we have puclic expenditure of over €50bn and receipts fall below €30bn. We are insolvent and go for the bailout because we can't pay our bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I see Marian Harkin is intending to run in Sligo-Leitrim. That could make it interesting.

There are such regulations but he used his inside knowledge to give himself an advantage.:mad:

tobsey wrote: »
    With Michael Noonan as leader FG stated that FF were grossly inflating public spending which was putting the country at risk. The FG manifesto called for a reduction in spending to more sustainable levels. The Irish people wiped the floor with them, returning the fewest seats ever for FG I believe (maybe not fewest ever but definitely a terrible performance). FG said themselves OK, the Irish people don't want prudent economic policy and they made Enda leader. Cut to 2009 and we have puclic expenditure of over €50bn and receipts fall below €30bn. We are insolvent and go for the bailout because we can't pay our bills.
    2002 was a bland and waffly manifesto from FG and a poor campaign. Noonan was always a poor choice as leader. Feisty in individual exchanges but not in any way inspirational. FF had a better, more focused approach. They also had the brilliantly simple slogan of "A lot done. More to do".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

There are such regulations but he used his inside knowledge to give himself an advantage.:mad:

Did you yourself personally see posters up at the weekend or are you going by second hand stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Nick Griffin is quite pious these days for a right wing racist isn't he?

https://twitter.com/NickGriffinBU/status/1217064090834821120

is_that_so wrote: »
    I see Marian Harkin is intending to run in Sligo-Leitrim. That could make it interesting.

Ind or FG? FG were trying to get her ever since she retired. She's held the seat before (well in a precursor constituency)

Nick Griffin is quite pious these days for a right wing racist isn't he?

https://twitter.com/NickGriffinBU/status/1217064090834821120

Did he have any concerns over the prorogation in the UK? Suspect not

Our constitution not only allows for short campaigns, it actually requires them - the longest possible campaign here is about the length of an average UK on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

2002 was a bland and waffly manifesto from FG and a poor campaign. Noonan was always a poor choice as leader. Feisty in individual exchanges but not in any way inspirational. FF had a better, more focused approach. They also had the brilliantly simple slogan of "A lot done. More to do".

FG promised to compensate taxi drivers affected by deregulation in their 2002 manifesto.

It was anything but bland! They were promising anything in order to get back into power.

Finian McGrath getting out. He obviously can't guarantee he'll be re elected.

Leo's posters went up this morning, not at the weekend.

Yes it's breaking the law and he shouldn't do it.

But this nonsense seems to get mileage every election here.

• Advertisement

Leo's posters went up this morning, not at the weekend.

Yes it's breaking the law and he shouldn't do it.

But this nonsense seems to get mileage every election here.

That's not what I was told.

L1011 wrote: »
    Ind or FG? FG were trying to get her ever since she retired. She's held the seat before (well in a precursor constituency)
    Independent once again. Yeah I think she'll figure, very good on transfers.

That's not what I was told.

No one cares about this poster stuff.

You do if you're on Twitter.

Finian McGrath getting out. He obviously can't guarantee he'll be re elected.

As soon as he got the Junior Ministerial seal he wasn't getting re-elected.

You do if you're on Twitter.

Twitter gets enraged about anything that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

They do if they block the traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,103 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I respect that Leo informed the Cabinet not like Bertie.

Will Leo resign as FG leader if FG don't get back into office?

• Advertisement

Eventually we'll progress to having elections on Sundays like on the continent.

Advertisement