Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail jobs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Vacancy for an Engeneering operative in Portloise.

Email recruitment@Irishrail.ie.

It's on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

I sent an email in August, a month after the interview asking for a follow up. They replied on the 24th August:

"You will receive notification in relation to your interview in the coming weeks this process is still ongoing at this time.
    Kind regards,
    IE IM Recruitment"

Nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Anyone know what the minimum age requirement is for the seasonal customer service jobs currently been advertised for Irish Rail, thanks.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Anyone know what the minimum age requirement is for the seasonal customer service jobs currently been advertised for Irish Rail, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

What’s the average time between application and follow up?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

What’s the average time between application and follow up?

Over a year from application to interview to hearing back for me

Check out their Web site, there are a few vacancies that might interest some of you.

Anyone in here from the Waterford area? Gatekeeper jobs are on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Anyone in here from the Waterford area? Gatekeeper jobs are on the website.

That must be on the Limerick junction line? All level crossings on the Waterford Dublin line are automated...

road_high wrote: »
    That must be on the Limerick junction line? All level crossings on the Waterford Dublin line are automated...

Rossinan and Kilmacow are manned still.

Rossinan and Kilmacow are manned still.

Are they? I thought the lot were automated now. Surely they will be soon?

Are they? I thought the lot were automated now. Surely they will be soon?

Yep.
    Possibly, but Irish Rail's interpretation of soon might differ from ours:).

They have one poor lad controlling two crossings on the line. Is the salary correct on the add, yes its a basic job but its barly min wage. I thaught other gate keeper ads started on 30k.

Your could prob count on one hand how many crossings have changed to automatic over the last 6 years. €1 million per crossing.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    They have one poor lad controlling two crossings on the line. Is the salary correct on the add, yes its a basic job but its barly min wage. I thaught other gate keeper ads started on 30k.

Your could prob count on one hand how many crossings have changed to automatic over the last 6 years. €1 million per crossing.

Point of order, not all lads:)
    Actually just read your post properly.
    Just to clarify, two crossings one of which is a double gate. Six gatekeepers.

I hardly ever head south on the line but aren't all the crossings north of KK automatic now? Didn't realize there were still some manuals near Waterford.
    How does it work one guy covering two level crossings? Does he hop in the car close one and back to the next one? Surely one would be closed for ages!
    Didn't the gatekeeper live in the usual cottage beside the crossing and part of the deal was a free house?

I hardly ever head south on the line but aren't all the crossings north of KK automatic now? Didn't realize there were still some manuals near Waterford.
    How does it work one guy covering two level crossings? Does he hop in the car close one and back to the next one? Surely one would be closed for ages!
    Didn't the gatekeeper live in the usual cottage beside the crossing and part of the deal was a free house?

Yes from Mullinavat up, there are 21 crossings (10 between Waterford/Thomastown) and 18 are automatic.

Id say he walks (if its just one person), yes likely closed for ages there was a long time where trains had to slow but they appear to have sorted that. Prob closes as soon as trains out of Waterford pass Waterford West (signal cabin).

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3271581,-7.156153,347a,35y,146.32h,44.88t/data=!3m1!1e3
    Point of order, not all lads
    Actually just read your post properly.
    Just to clarify, two crossings one of which is a double gate. Six gatekeepers.

So do two gate keepers control it or just one?, I have only ever saw one usually on the Kilkenny side of Irish's Bar.

Yes from Mullinavat up, there are 21 crossings (10 between Waterford/Thomastown) and 18 are automatic.

Id say he walks (if its just one person), yes likely closed for ages there was a long time where trains had to slow but they appear to have sorted that. Prob closes as soon as trains out of Waterford pass Waterford West (signal cabin).

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3271581,-7.156153,347a,35y,146.32h,44.88t/data=!3m1!1e3

So do two gate keepers control it or just one?, I have only ever saw one usually on the Kilkenny side of Irish's Bar.

Yes, just one.
    GK gets an indication that a train is en route and closes both gates(kilmacow). Gates are very near each other(100m approximately).

Rossinan is a different XC and operated by another GK.

Lots of positions open for DART Expansion, National Control Center and City Centre Resignaling

http://www.irishrail.ie/about-us/career-opportunities

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Looking for 100 drivers.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0102/1019897-train-drivers/

There has been a long term legacy agreement not to advertise externally, change was always subject to agreement, looks like that is done with, but interestingly there appears to be no new agreement on this so I'll expect a particular union to have all sorts to say about this.

Say in what respect?

Im sure IE are saying any new agreement for the next pay row.

GM228 wrote: »
    Looking for 100 drivers.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/0102/1019897-train-drivers/

There has been a long term legacy agreement not to advertise externally, change was always subject to agreement, looks like that is done with, but interestingly there appears to be no new agreement on this so I'll expect a particular union to have all sorts to say about this.

Nope, anyone internal can apply as well and there will be a shortage due to retirements etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I thought it said 400 drivers? Internally be an easier comp, however they might need external to meet the number and female quota.

Looks like a long process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Political Wall Map

Unions couldnt get involved in this one. The only reason they are looking at external recruitment is because of the low number of internal applicants that passed assesments the last time round. So unions could have no say in it. They need drivers and cant fill from internal staff. Its not IE that set the standards anymore so the only people who could have a potential problem would be the trainers, and since the training has changed in the last couple years to suit people with no railway experience..... nothing can really be said.....

GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR PEOPLE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭dashoonage

anyone know what the routs assignment will be out if this ? Will you be able to work where you live i mean ? also where does the 32 weeks training take place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Political Wall Map

dashoonage wrote: »
    anyone know what the routs assignment will be out if this ? Will you be able to work where you live i mean ? also where does the 32 weeks training take place?

Not really. Doest really work like that. But you could get lucky. Id say you will apply for either loco or dart. And then state preferred location either in the interview stage or during the application. 32 weeks training is in dublin. Either fairview, heuston or Inchicore.

Jump on the chance. See how the application process goes and worry about the rest after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Starting salary of €45K, are there shift rates, weekend rates etc on top of that or is that all in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

lfc200 wrote: »
    Starting salary of €45K, are there shift rates, weekend rates etc on top of that or is that all in?

No, its a single composite rate, no extra for weekends

Advertisement