Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I want the remake to be focussed on Sephiroth and how he destroys Cloud and his lame friends.

Call it nostalgia, but I've never loved a villain as much as Sephiroth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Memnoch wrote: »
    I want the remake to be focussed on Sephiroth and how he destroys Cloud and his lame friends.

We have that already, it's called Final Fantasy 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

They better not **** up Omnislash...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    They better not **** up Omnislash...

Its gonna be a QTE now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Memnoch wrote: »

Your too kind :o:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I had a stream of FFVII in the background the other night and all I was thinking every time I'd watch it was, Square have a lot of work to do!

• I actually am really excited about this. Probably the most of all the E3 announcements. I played FF7 a few years after release and I really thought it looked terrible. The still backgrounds weren't the worst but they felt wrong with these ridiculous blocky characters walking around them. It took a while for the world to feel believable. The sound was terrible too to be honest. Music was too midi sounding and the sound effects were something off the megadrive. Fix those two gripes and I'll be laughing.

Also I never finished it.

Actually the soundtrack was the one thing that I thought was excellent. At least with that they have all the material.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

tok9 wrote: »
    Actually the soundtrack was the one thing that I thought was excellent. At least with that they have all the material.

The sound compositions are good but the instruments they used are dreadful. They sound worse than the SNES instruments which were compressed within an inch of their lives. Thankfully they sorted out out their sound engineering problems after it, FF8 sounded amazing.

Ya I was specifically talking about the compositions. Judging by the remake trailer they will be updated nicely.

• Advertisement

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The sound compositions are good but the instruments they used are dreadful. They sound worse than the SNES instruments which were compressed within an inch of their lives. Thankfully they sorted out out their sound engineering problems after it, FF8 sounded amazing.

Precisely. The sound was definitely initially made with a 16-bit console in mind. The sound of a the dog barking for example is worse than SNES sound effects.

Compositions are still fantastic: https://youtu.be/R-u_7FcViBs?t=109

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'd love it if they brought back nobua to help with the music side of things.

I'd love it if they brought back nobua to help with the music side of things.

He's freelance so not beyond the realms of possibility.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    He's freelance so not beyond the realms of possibility.

I was thinking that, why did he leave in the first place ?

I was thinking that, why did he leave in the first place ?

No real reason and it's not strange in japan. Only really Nintendo keeps musicians as full time employees now. Most videogame musicians have gone freelance now, I'd say it's a cost saving measure by japanese companies but they still keep strong ties to their previous employees, although Uematsu seems to be more closely aligned with Hironobu Sakaguchi, possibly because they were mates since college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

No real reason and it's not strange in japan. Only really Nintendo keeps musicians as full time employees now. Most videogame musicians have gone freelance now, I'd say it's a cost saving measure by japanese companies but they still keep strong ties to their previous employees, although Uematsu seems to be more closely aligned with Hironobu Sakaguchi, possibly because they were mates since college.

wasn't he involved with mistwalker studios?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

ec18 wrote: »
    wasn't he involved with mistwalker studios?

He still is, but just as a freelancer, he has done composing for nearly all the games Mistwalker have worked on, except for ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Was daydreaming earlier and I know it's totally unlikely and all but if this had project morpheus support, I'd be all over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I'd say it's not strange everywhere, there's very few western devs who do also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Famitsu this week features an interview with Yoshinori Kitase, who is producing the upcoming Final Fantasy VII Remake.
    “We’re starting to see the visual direction,” Kitase said of the remake. “On the other hand, we’re currently working out the battle system and such through trial-and-error.”

“Since there’s a possibility that the command battle system of the old days might not work today, we’re thinking hard about what kind of direction we can take it.

“Normally, when you do a remake, it becomes somewhere along the lines of a familiar action RPG, so we’re looking at how we can put out something like Final Fantasy VII while still surprising players.

“Please don’t ask about how far into development we are and such. (Laughs.)”

• Advertisement

• Action RPG. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

I'll be surprised if they do anything other than make an absolute balls of this. These are the people who gave us not one but two sequels to final Fantasy 13. That being said, I'll still be buying this so I guess I'm the bigger fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Why are they changing it? A huge part of the nostalgia feel is the old battle system. There's nothing wrong with a command/turned based battle system that utilises an ATB gauge, like in the old FFs etc. Not a fan of action esque battles, or how the battles were in 13 :( When I first heard they were remastering the game, I was imagining fighting all the iconic battles again in glorious HD, with the old battle system. I'm not a fan of the hack and slash kind of battles, its one of the reasons I hated FF13/Type 0 so much.

Oh well, I suppose it is a remaster, they wanna change stuff around so I can understand the reasoning. I'm just a purist, would love to see classic turn based battles in the remaster tbh. Its likely they will make a complete muck of this though.

Hate to burst the nostalgia bubble but FF7 did not have a good battle system. ATB only really worked in FF4 and FF7s material system was as deep as a paddling pool. It was also so bloody slow waiting on elaborate animations to finish. It's the one thing that really needs to change in the game.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like ff13 were that type of battle system is expanded upon (and for Christ sake at least has some variety in enemy encounters). It would at least keep the ATB feel. Still even a magic growth system that has a lot more depth than materia would do me. Still it's the one thing that really needs to change and random battles can naff off.

I'll be surprised if they do anything other than make an absolute balls of this. These are the people who gave us not one but two sequels to final Fantasy 13. That being said, I'll still be buying this so I guess I'm the bigger fool.

And those FF13 sequels ranged from good to absolutely fantastic in the case of ff13-3. Squaresoft had a minor blip with FF13 and yet people think they haven't made any good games in years when their output since ff13 has been stellar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

And those FF13 sequels ranged from good to absolutely fantastic in the case of ff13-3. Squaresoft had a minor blip with FF13 and yet people think they haven't made any good games in years when their output since ff13 has been stellar.

I'll admit I haven't played either of the sequels to FF13,but I felt I didn't need to, FF13 was that bad. One man's minor blip is another man's utter disaster.

I'll admit I haven't played either of the sequels to FF13,but I felt I didn't need to, FF13 was that bad. One man's minor blip is another man's utter disaster.

13 was crap, 13-2 was borderline decent. I haven't played Lightning Returns but the 13 series gave me no incentive to and left a bad taste in my mouth, it's not great at all. But that's just my opinion

Regarding nostalgia, IDK, it feels like forever since I've played an FF game, or an RPG, with turn based ATB battles. To me it's nostalgic, as far as FF goes. Would love to see it return in the remake, depth or no depth. And I'm well aware of the lack of depth in 7's materia/battle system overall, totally agree that I would love to see a revamp. On paper the materia system looks interesting but really was a broken and boring mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Ramza wrote: »
    On paper the materia system looks interesting but really was a broken and boring mess.

What was wrong with it?

What was wrong with it?

You had no use for magic materia once you left midgar. You could breeze through the game with about 4 enemy skills that were completely overpowered. No exaggeration, you could one shot most battles and destroy bosses (even the final bosses) with some specific overpowered enemy skills.

Summons were also very weak and crippled your stats, no incentive to use them. The only useful one was Phoenix, which was ridiculously OP when paired with Final Attack, and KOTR, which is also insanely dumb.

Command Materia was also useless. There's not one useful command materia outside E Skill you need to complete the game. Towards the end you also pick up Mime and 4x Cut, 2 ridiculously strong materias that blow the rest out of the water.

Some independent materia is overpowered, too; Quadra Magic, Counter command, Final Attack, HP Absorb, Magic Counter. These allow for some nasty materia setups/combos, some that basically make you unkillable.

Lastly is purple Materia which is there as a novelty really, completely useless

From a viewpoint in terms of depth and balance, the materia system lacked both. Sure, the summons were cool, some of the yellow materia's were fun (deathblow, etc), and while the materia system surves a purpose just fine, it's so easy to blow wide open. You only need one piece of materia to complete the game, literally, and it's Enemy Skill. I recently did a playthrough where I only used that materia every battle. Towards the end of the game, some really crazy materia becomes available and you can set up some nasty stuff, it became way too crazy and exploitable.

• Advertisement

Those are high level problems with the system. Even for beginners there are problems. Your characters are just vessels for materia and you are levelling up materia rather than characters. In theory you could make different interesting characters but the best course is to load up everyone with all the elementals and cure all. Any stat decreases are negligible. The game never challenges the player to experiment and try a different combination other than the optional bosses, who weren't even in the original japanese release.

The materia system also isn't broken enough. Any broken materia combinations don't come into play until the end game making the materia system kind of wasted through most of the game. It has promise but it can't match the fun you get out of breaking FF5 or FF8. Saying that materia does have the potential to be fun and it does show that In the very late game, just a bit too late.

Advertisement