Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on applying as a Mature Student

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

fifi836 wrote: »
    Hey people, some serious advice needed!!!

Larianne got some great tips there, and sorry if im on the wrong post but wondering if anybody here could help me out:confused:
    Just recieved a letter for the mature nursing interview which im super excited about but very nervous at the same time.

I finished my Leaving Cert over 10 yrs ago and didnt do so well in it basically because of lack of study at the time, so im wondering if anybody who has been through the whole interview process has ever had to explain why they didnt achieve a good L.C???? And ive never been to third level college so will this go against me in the interview????

Any advice much appreciated, thanks!

Fifi, well done on passing the test & being called for interview.

In answer to your question, no I doubt very much you will be asked about your Leaving Cert - when applying as a Mature Student it is based on exactly that "mature" grounds, over 23! You are not applying on the results of your LC, so it is irrelevant, so dont worry. Plenty of people applying for and indeed doing nursing/midwifery as a mature student, do not have a LC at all, so dont be worrying.

I too had sat my LC over 10 years before I applied for Midwifery! They dont ask anything about it in the interview

As for 3rd level college, again, the majority of applicants have never been to 3rd level college before. So dont be worrying about it, you wont be asked about that

You will be asked why you applied for Nursing/Midwifery - why do you want to do it so much?

The interview is be based on that form you have to fill out, know your scenarios inside out and also have a back up scenario on the ready. because they do ask, "so can you give me another example of a time when you showed responsibility" etc.. so have 2 examples prepared for each one

I did the interview twice - first year passed the test and interview but didnt score high enough in the test to gain a place, I missed out by 3 points :confused: Second Time, thanksfully I got my place and I am now just about to finish first year midwifery - exams start tomorrow uh oh :eek:

Heres hoping you do a super interview, and you score high enough in that blooming test to get a place

Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Just to follow on from what mumtoe&e has said. If they do ask you about your Leaving Cert, which I don't think they will (I was never asked in my interviews) just be honest with them. Many people aren't focused when they are 17/18 doing the leaving. That's why many people go back as mature students.

Have an answer prepared as why you are focused now and where you want to go with your degree when you're finished.

The panel are not out to catch you out. The interview is more like an informal chat.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 felony

Afternoon folks,
    Just a quick post to reinforce the points about interviews. All the advice prevoiusly posted is bang on.

I recently did an interview with DCU. It was with two people and quiet relaxed and informal. Straight away I realised that they just wanted to be sure that I was clear about why I wanted to return to collage and not trip me up or catch me out. They wanted to know I was sure about what I was getting myself into! But also see if I researched the course properly.

The questions where:
    Why did I select the collage & course?
    What subjects interested me the most?
    What subjects I think could be difficult and will require extra work?
    Why return to full time education? Did I consider part-time/distance learning?
    How did I think I’ll cope in a class full of CAO students?
    How am I going to finance my return to a full time education?
    Did I have any questions?

It’s also a chance for the collage to sell themselves to you. I was told about what support networks are available in DCU for students such as maths assistance. They also spoke about a work experience option that they highly recommend. The whole thing was no more then 15min.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭amy85

i had an interview in AIT bout 2 weeks ago for vet nursing. like everyone said,it was more like a chat than anything. no more than 15 mins long.they did ask me about my leaving cert though and why i didnt do a lab based science subject for my leaving cert. i had an answer ready for them(which was the truth and all) why i didnt do it. he said that might be the only thing that goes against me,becasue the course is very science based!

i was a little bit taken back by this,because i was under the impression that when applying as mature student your LC doesnt really count as such. but anyways what can ya do. i was a bit disappointed in a way by the questions,because i felt i didnt really get a chance to sell myself at all.they never asked why i wanted to do the course,be a vet nurse,stuff like that. questions went as follows:

1.tell us what you have been uo to since you left school and a bit about yourself.
    2.did you do a lab based science subject for LC and if so,why not
    3.will you be moving to athlone or communting(im from galway)
    4.how do you think you will manage going from full time work to going to college full time(not earning)
    5.what do you know about the course
    6.any questions.

that was it really. wont find out if im sucessful until early july or that. fingers crossed. just thought id share this incase anyone is going for similar interviews.
    amy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fifi836

Thank ye so much for the replies, all i can do is be honest if they do ask!!!

Just trying to figure out the best way to answer the questionaire now, dont know if the examples im giving are sufficient!

Does anybody know if there is somewhere i could see some sample answers???..I would like to have an idea if im going down right path or not, really dont want to hand in a bunch of irrelevant info that could ruin any chance i have of getting a place :confused:

• Advertisement

I applied for Psychology in DCU as a mature student, and had the interview in early April. I thought they said we would know in a few weeks how it went, before the CAO offers .....but I can't remember for sure now. Anyone know how it works.

Also the interview was fine. Really what I expected. They were accessing my knowledge of what studying psychology would entail and where it would eventually lead. I was asked where I would see myself in 5 yrs time from now if I got to study Psychology. They asked quite a bit about the voluntary work I am involved in and why I choose that type of voluntary work. Also asked about personal life experience and work experience that would have influenced my choice of course. They asked about how I felt I would cope with a degree course and did I have an indication of the time and committment needed. This was based on the fact its 20yrs since I did my Leaving Cert but I did a really good LC back then and I refered back to this, along wth Fetac courses I have done really well in even though they were at a lesser level. Also, there was a written piece on a topic they picked on the day, which was to see our written ability.

One big tip I would give, from having done the interview, is to know the people who are going to interview you. We were given the names of 4 people and 2 would interview each person. I knew who they were, what they did in the college, what their areas of interest and research were and I got interviewed by the person I really wanted to interview me as her research areas are similar to my own interests in the area of psychology....but overall I felt more confident during the interview knowing a little bit about all the interviewers.

There were people there, on the day, who didn't know the name, never mind anything else about the interviewers.

Fingers crossed....but it did seem like a lot of people got interviews for only 4 places as mature students to study psychology. Personally, I couldn't understand why they interviewed so many people but in saying that I'm glad I got the interview and a chance to sell myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Borderline

Pricless advice Larianne, and much appreciated.

I have a question about the personal statement for my case,
    I am interested in two courses that are not related, one is the Applied Music course in D.I.T. and would be my first choice but if I was unsuccessful I would happily do an Arts Degree in another College. I dont know what to write in a Personal Statement, which seems like it should be specific to one type of course. if i wrote about two courses would i risk not being seriously considered for either?

Borderline wrote: »
    Pricless advice Larianne, and much appreciated.

I have a question about the personal statement for my case,
    I am interested in two courses that are not related, one is the Applied Music course in D.I.T. and would be my first choice but if I was unsuccessful I would happily do an Arts Degree in another College. I dont know what to write in a Personal Statement, which seems like it should be specific to one type of course. if i wrote about two courses would i risk not being seriously considered for either?

I applied for courses in both DCU and UCD. Since the courses are similar I used the same personal statement. But in both applications I personalised it by mentioning the collage and course in question at various points.

After registering with the CAO online, I put in my personal details and leaving cert results. The rest of the sections I referred to the personal statement that I was posting in.

I then created two separate packages for each course with a clear cover sheet stating - it was a mature student application, the course code and my CAO number. This enabled me to send in two different personal statements. With each personal statement I attached the cover sheet and copies of all supporting documents (pervious courses, CV’s etc) and posted them together (seperated in plastic sleeves) to the CAO.

It seemed to work out fine. Both collages have been in touch since. Actually UCD offered me my first choice this morning so happy days! :)

Actually a big thanks to Larianne and all other posters for advice on this forum!
    I wouldn't have had a hope of pulling it together without the direction. An invaluable source of information!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Had the interview during the week and i don't feel very confident in getting a place. Was very nervous and they probably saw that. They also changed the whole process this year which i wasn't expecting. My mind went blank and forgot to mention half the things i wanted to say.

Im normally a very positive thinking person but i dont know this time. Hundreds of people applied and they only take on 80. I guess im just feeling very sorry for myself already, even though i dont find out until next week. :(

If i don't get accepted, is it ok to ring the college and ask them where i went wrong? Put it down as a learning experience and try again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Had the interview during the week and i don't feel very confident in getting a place. Was very nervous and they probably saw that. They also changed the whole process this year which i wasn't expecting. My mind went blank and forgot to mention half the things i wanted to say.

Im normally a very positive thinking person but i dont know this time. Hundreds of people applied and they only take on 80. I guess im just feeling very sorry for myself already, even though i dont find out until next week. :(

If i don't get accepted, is it ok to ring the college and ask them where i went wrong? Put it down as a learning experience and try again next year.

When i went for my interview this time last year i was sick with nerves, the pressure of getting a place and not getting one was unbearable. I was in a terrable state for the interview i couldnt relax.

The 2 lectures who interviewed told me to relax and i did, the interview went well. it was hard to remember what i wanted to say etc while being nervous but i told myself "i can only do my best" at the end of the day its all anyone can do.

So i wouldnt worry too much about nerves everyone has them. :)

• Advertisement

Scram wrote: »
    When i went for my interview this time last year i was sick with nerves, the pressure of getting a place and not getting one was unbearable. I was in a terrable state for the interview i couldnt relax.

The 2 lectures who interviewed told me to relax and i did, the interview went well. it was hard to remember what i wanted to say etc while being nervous but i told myself "i can only do my best" at the end of the day its all anyone can do.

So i wouldnt worry too much about nerves everyone has them. :)

Did you get a place?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Did you get a place?

i did thanks be to god. inot in the college i wanted but in a college non the less.

so if you dont get a place which im sure you will:) try a college outside the area you live you never know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭lilylarkin

Hardluckwoman, how is the mature student experience going for you? i just got a place to ucd engineering in sept 2010 and am nervous/excited/terrified about the step im about to take. just wondering if you could share some highs and lows of your experience.

I didn't get accepted first time round and I wrote to the head of the department in each college and asked what made my application weak and how to improve it. Two of the three colleges replied to me. I took their advice and I've just finished 1st year.

Don't give up hope yet!

Larianne wrote: »
    I didn't get accepted first time round and I wrote to the head of the department in each college and asked what made my application weak and how to improve it. Two of the three colleges replied to me. I took their advice and I've just finished 1st year.

Don't give up hope yet!

Never mind about my previous post. I got a place. Didn't think i was going to find out so quick and didn't think i would get it. It feels as if i just won the lotto. Im delighted. :D:D:D I can't wait. Roll on september!

Now i have to post on a certified copy of my school results. What do i do? Where can i get that?

Larianne, i owe you one. Massive thanks for the help throughout the whole process.

Never mind about my previous post. I got a place. Didn't think i was going to find out so quick and didn't think i would get it. It feels as if i just won the lotto. Im delighted. :D:D:D I can't wait. Roll on september!

Now i have to post on a certified copy of my school results. What do i do? Where can i get that?

Larianne, i owe you one. Massive thanks for the help throughout the whole process.

Delighted for ya! :D I remember the feeling this time last year. It is such a relief. I remember having to read the letter three times!

You can either contact your former school or contact the State Examination Commission http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ca&sc=sor They hold all the results of Leaving and Junior Certificate exam results.

Happy to help. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I am reading this thread and just feeling so overwhelmed!

I want to return to college was a mature student to study Physiotherapy.....but im almost defeated already! It just seems like a huge task to even get applications ready.

I dont know where to start.....

Parchment wrote: »

I want to return to college was a mature student to study Physiotherapy.....but im almost defeated already! It just seems like a huge task to even get applications ready.

Re-read the thread and see what you can do and then PM me! I've just finished 1st year in Physio. It is possible! Hard work yes, but if you want it enough you can get it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

Is it July mature students normally hear if they got a place? Had the aptitude test but no word as yet. Have a bad feeling!

Is it July mature students normally hear if they got a place? Had the aptitude test but no word as yet. Have a bad feeling!

It really depends on the course/college. You could ring up the admissions department to see what stage they are at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Does every mature student course require an interview? I applied for one directly with the local IT, not through CAO, and i dont remember them mentioning interviews.
    If there is an interview, I probably havent heard about it yet coz the closing date for applications hasnt come yet, and they're still waiting on my transcripts from my old college to be sent up. Hopefully theres no interview though. :D

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Does every mature student course require an interview? I applied for one directly with the local IT, not through CAO, and i dont remember them mentioning interviews.
    If there is an interview, I probably havent heard about it yet coz the closing date for applications hasnt come yet, and they're still waiting on my transcripts from my old college to be sent up. Hopefully theres no interview though. :D

No, not all courses require interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Borderline

Congratulaions felony and cheers for the reply!
    Is it the case so that the CAO only passes the personal statement onto the college?

No worries. Cheers! Yea I’m delighted, I know how lucky I am. Again it was the advice on this thread (i.e Larianne!) that really helped with the application.

Yes everything goes to the CAO and they send it out to the collages. Some collages might require additional paperwork, you need to check their website or with admissions.
    I can only comment on my own circumstances. In my case I applied to DCU and UCD.

UCD required everything to go through the CAO.

DCU on the other hand required a Mature Student Supplementary Application Form which I got off their website.
    http://www.dcu.ie/registry/forms/pdfs/R3.pdf
    I posted this directly to DCU at the same time as applying to the CAO. The additional information section is pretty small so I just wrote ‘see personal statement’ then I attached the same personal statement that I sent to the CAO.

Parchment wrote: »

Well you know the course you want so you’ve already started! If you know why you want to do it you have the most important part of the personal statement worked out. So go for it!
    Just find out the application requirements of where you want to study and take it from there. I knew the courses I wanted so when I found out the requirements I kept referring back here for tips on personal statements and interviews.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

hey all

From the north myself and have decided to try and going back to get a degree. I just submitted a late application so not sure if i will get an offer this year or not but I'm hoping to. Just found out today I have been approved for full grant which will cover all my tuition fees so I'm delighted by that.

Any ideas when they make offers on late applications? I'm guessing it could be anytime this month before clearing starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭lilylarkin

Hi Karma,

How did you get approval so quickly, ie before you were offered a place? Did you apply or were you just told over the phone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

lilylarkin wrote: »
    Hi Karma,

How did you get approval so quickly, ie before you were offered a place? Did you apply or were you just told over the phone?

I applied online the day after I submitted my UCAS application, was approved within a couple of days was really fast. I had to send in my passport but again that was back to me within 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mazi

Hi Larianne,

I am thinking of doing the same course as you,(physio) also as a mature student. I have no background what so ever in health care etc- ( I work in Insurance for my sins!) Just wanted to ask you how it's going for you? Did you have a background in Health care previous? Out of the 4 year degree how much of it consists of placement? I am looking into information on grants etc & fell like i'm getting nowhere, i have been told because i am working that i do not qualify for BETA. I dont want to sit around for months just to qualify for this. Do you know if the situation would be different if i got a place in Northern ireland, would i qualify for some sort of grant / beta from there? Sorry ....so many questions!!???

Maz

• Advertisement

mazi wrote: »
    Hi Larianne,

I am thinking of doing the same course as you,(physio) also as a mature student. I have no background what so ever in health care etc- ( I work in Insurance for my sins!) Just wanted to ask you how it's going for you? Did you have a background in Health care previous? Out of the 4 year degree how much of it consists of placement? I am looking into information on grants etc & fell like i'm getting nowhere, i have been told because i am working that i do not qualify for BETA. I dont want to sit around for months just to qualify for this. Do you know if the situation would be different if i got a place in Northern ireland, would i qualify for some sort of grant / beta from there? Sorry ....so many questions!!???

Maz

PM sent.

Advertisement