Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Splitting a tree ?

• 20-07-2010 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any advice on how best to share data between different branches of families ?

I am currently linking up with various family members who have done work on their own trees (sensibly enough), but they are obviously primarily interested in the common links that we share and not the really extended elements.

For example, say I have one relative and his relation to me is because both our fathers were brothers. I am interested in research he has done on his fathers lineage (shared with my father, so directly relevant), I am interested in the fact that his father married his mother and they had children, and I am kind of interested in his mothers parents but not a whole lot. I'm really not too pushed about finding details of her siblings and their extended families, etc . . . too much information. So, apart from manually calling back details recorded and re-typing, how do you normally merge two trees without including all sorts of (to me) unrelated information about non-blood relatives ?

z

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The program I use (genopro) allows you to use worksheets like excel, so I have different branches of my tree on different sheets, with hyperlinks on the connecting person. This is how I work it. Genopro can take in GEDCOM files. Just be careful not to give too much data if you're not close to the family member and remind them not to put living people's vitals on the net!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement