Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local Elections 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users Posts: 27,155 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/sinn-fin-activist-makes-unreserved-apology-to-fine-gael-councillor-over-comments-posted-on-facebook-38118301.html

A leopard can't change his spots. This time though, the online activity of Sinn Fein supporters went too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Is there a listing available anywhere of what current Councillors voted to nominate Gemma O'Doherty for President? (thinking that someone like Adrian Kavanagh might have built up a list)

Would be good to know who to avoid giving any preferences to.

She was kind enough to let us all know the Oirechtas members who lent her support at the time :D

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1044919051229835264

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Only for the scourge of electoral placards that are absolutely souring the landscape you'd be forgiven for thinking that this election had been cancelled.

I've had only the one lad darken my door, a young up and coming FFer with his dad (and that was a few weeks ago). I liked the cut of his jib in fairness, but know next to nothing about him.

Seems like the candidates have either gotten lazy, or are relying on social media these days.

3 callers to our door since campaigning began. One FF and one Lab candidate, and one "helper" from PBP whilst the candidate was knocking on other doors.

Got quite the mountain of leaflets in the door yesterday though.

We also have an unusual situation in that a SF councillor lives on our street a couple of doors up, but doesn't actually run for our LEA. Assuming she's registered where she lives (and no reason to think she isn't), then she doesn't actually get to vote for herself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Labour (candidate) and FG (retired councillor canvassing) for me, and a sorry-you-were-out card from Fidelma Healy Eames canvassers. Missed the doorbell once which could have been anyone or not election related all

Definitely the lowest number in years

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It seems that's it's mostly leaflets people are seeing than candidates which is the same for me. I've more leaflets from candidates running that I've never heard of before and likely won't after Friday. I've had one labour candidate call on a Saturday and one FG guy I know well so wasn't really him trying to canvas me it was more of a friendly chat.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It seems that's it's mostly leaflets people are seeing than candidates which is the same for me. I've more leaflets from candidates running that I've never heard of before and likely won't after Friday. I've had one labour candidate call on a Saturday and one FG guy I know well so wasn't really him trying to canvas me it was more of a friendly chat.

I was with a customer yesterday on the Kildare/Wicklow border, and I'm not joking you, but the man had about forty (easily) leaflets from about THREE candidates. All delivered yesterday by the postman he said.

The only other literature I seen was a flyer for a Kings oil petrol station in amongst the rest of the election stuff.

And they were all addressed to him or his wife.

Absolutely shameful waste of paper and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,155 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I was with a customer yesterday on the Kildare/Wicklow border, and I'm not joking you, but the man had about forty (easily) leaflets from about THREE candidates. All delivered yesterday by the postman he said.

The only other literature I seen was a flyer for a Kings oil petrol station in amongst the rest of the election stuff.

And they were all addressed to him or his wife.

Absolutely shameful waste of paper and money.

His name wouldn't be Pat O'Connor?

blanch152 wrote: »
    His name wouldn't be Pat O'Connor?

No, neither the candidate nor customers name was Pat O'Connor.

• Advertisement

blackwhite wrote: »
    Is there a listing available anywhere of what current Councillors voted to nominate Gemma O'Doherty for President? (thinking that someone like Adrian Kavanagh might have built up a list)

Would be good to know who to avoid giving any preferences to.

She was kind enough to let us all know the Oirechtas members who lent her support at the time :D

which council?

which council?

She presented herself to a number of councils, and even in the councils where she didn't succeed there were councillors who supported her.

She received a nomination from Laois.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/gemma-odoherty-2-4251324-Sep2018/
    Earlier today, Laois Today reported that four councillors voted for her nomination and thirteen abstained while two were absent.

The outlet reported that Cllrs Caroline Dwane Stanley (SF), Ben Brennan (Ind), Aidan Mullins (SF) and Paschal McEvoy (FF) each voted for O’Doherty

However, even in the councils where she failed to win a nomination, there were plenty of councillors who voted for her
    Cork County Council voted against nominating O’Doherty today by a margin of five in favour, 28 against and six abstentions.

And don't forget those Oireachtas members who signed her nomination papers as well
    Joan Collins, Clare Daly, Mick Wallace, Catherine Connolly, Michael Fitzmaurice, Sean Canney, Tommy Broughan, Seamus Healy, Maureen O’Sullivan, Mattie McGrath and Ronan Mullen

blackwhite wrote: »
    She presented herself to a number of councils, and even in the councils where she didn't succeed there were councillors who supported her.

She received a nomination from Laois.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/gemma-odoherty-2-4251324-Sep2018/

However, even in the councils where she failed to win a nomination, there were plenty of councillors who voted for her

And don't forget those Oireachtas members who signed her nomination papers as well

in which council do you want to be sure to not give GOD nominators a preference?

in which council do you want to be sure to not give GOD nominators a preference?

My own council decided not to hold a vote to nominate anyone - I'm wondering if there's a resource anywhere that lists them across other councils

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

L1011 wrote: »
    Labour (candidate) and FG (retired councillor canvassing) for me, and a sorry-you-were-out card from Fidelma Healy Eames canvassers. Missed the doorbell once which could have been anyone or not election related all

Definitely the lowest number in years

Greens came around, canvasser but in a branded jacket etc. That's very likely to be it now I think.

Labour, FF, Green - all the candidates - (and Healy Eames canvassers) for the Euros) have done the train station which is the usual way to get a large audience in one location here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I would urge anyone thinking of voting Labour to remember alan Kelly and Joan Burton in government and Burton comments on smart phones and her personal assistants comments on the ordinary people.

The other parties are no better but I will never forget the mismanagement of the Irish people by Labour in their time in government

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

jk23 wrote: »
    I would urge anyone thinking of voting Labour to remember alan Kelly and Joan Burton in government and Burton comments on smart phones and her personal assistants comments on the ordinary people.

The other parties are no better but I will never forget the mismanagement of the Irish people by Labour in their time in government

Surely FF did alot worst!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I reckon Fine Gael will increase their vote and become the top party. Fianna Fail probably also do around the same as last time. The others can't compare with their ground game. And I have no time for either party.

Sinn Fein lose seats. Aontu probably gain seats. Labour about the same. Greens gains. Not sure about others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Surely FF did alot worst!!!

You are right FF were one of the chief causes. However its labour who stuck in my mind because of Burton.

jk23 wrote: »

Look at how "competently" FG are coping on their own - the mismanagement wasn't coming from Labour.

Alan Kelly was handed a burning dumpster fire by Phil Hogan (FG) who swanned off to Brussels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Green for me, and one or two indies.

Can't countenance voting for FG/FF/Lab/SD/SF or any of the hard left.

Hannah Lemass dropped in a leaflet to our house, but we can't vote for her.

Is she a Lemass Lemass?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hard to vote for green in our area, when no one has ever heard of her. Haven't seen her around at all!

Is she a Lemass Lemass?
    Yes great grand daughter of Sean.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is she a Lemass Lemass?
    a great granddaughter of former Taoiseach Sean Lemass.
    The Lemass dynasty have tendrils right through FF.

Edit: Fan of Netflix got there before me

Yes great grand daughter of Sean.

And not the only at that level of descent running; a great grandson is running in Bray as an Independent and Cathal Haughey (FF again) is also on the same generation - CJ married Lemass's daughter.

Jim Larkin's great granddaugher is a sitting Councillor in Athy so Lemass isn't the only one to have that many generations down still in politics.

a great granddaughter of former Taoiseach Sean Lemass.
    The Lemass dynasty have tendrils right through FF.

Edit: Fan of Netflix got there before me
    Charlie Haugheys grandson Cathal also running in Clontarf. Barry Andrews for the Euros also.

Fianna Fail royalty are out in force this time.

L1011 wrote: »
    And not the only at that level of descent running; a great grandson is running in Bray as an Independent and Cathal Haughey (FF again) is also on the same generation - CJ married Lemass's daughter.

Jim Larkin's great granddaugher is a sitting Councillor in Athy so Lemass isn't the only one to have that many generations down still in politics.
    Surprised the great grandson isn't in Fianna Fail also!

Is Barry Andrews also of the Lemass-Haughey Dynasty?

• Advertisement

Is Barry Andrews also of the Lemass-Haughey Dynasty?
    Nah I meant the Todd Andrews-David Andrews line. Others in the family include Sinn Feins Chris Andrews, David McSavage and Ryan Tubridy.

Advertisement