Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recent Graduate Project Management Help

• 27-07-2018 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey,

So I have recently graduated with a 2.1 in Advertising and Marketing Comms.

Before graduating I got offered the role of account executive after 2 long interviews in a digital design agency.

Accepted the role and walked straight into it after my exams. When I arrived in the door I was greeted as the new Project Manager which was a little strange at the time.

In my head, I was an account executive but it is clear I am the project manager for the company now. I have had previous experience in college on various projects where I was the assigned PM but not managing multiple projects which I am now doing.

The salary is very basic which I deem fair as I am a recent graduate but I now have moved away from Advertising and am now more project manager focused as the career potential regarding salary is a lot better becoming a project manager rather than account manager.

As I am in my infancy in this role I am constantly learning and have only basic PM knowledge from using the PM tool ZOHO.

My question is should I pursue Prince2 Practitioner Certification is it worth it?

I want to make myself more employable and become a junior project manager somewhere I am just not sure how to go about it.

If anyone has any tips on starting out as a project manager I would love to know, I am really eager to find out more and really kickstart my career and make it go in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for your time reading this:)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Hey - I work in tech project management, and I can tell you that experience speaks volumes over a certificate. That being said, if you are junior, it can be a great way to justify a pay increase (though see if you can get them to sponsor it) and to leverage moving into another company eventually. But honestly, spend some time in the job - figure out what parts of it you enjoy. If you do a cert, use that to make you better.

If you find you want to go into corporate project management, they love certs - whether its PRINCE or PMBOK. If you want to go into marketing or tech, they might have other preferences. Find a role you want in an industry you like, and work towards that.

You're obvs doing a great job if you walked right into the role. Experience is hard to come by, so do what you can :)

Advertisement