Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

British birth certs from 1800s

Options
  • 20-04-2018 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Does anyone have any experience of ordering a British (Scottish) birth cert from the 1800s?

Is it possible to order this online?

Does anyone know the UK website for this, by chance?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Here's a link to the UK GRO.
    Certs are £9.25 if I remember correctly.
    I've ordered several without any issues.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You might be able to avail of the cheaper pdf offer, depending on what year it is.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

pinkypinky wrote: »
    You might be able to avail of the cheaper pdf offer, depending on what year it is.

Tell us more, I have only bought expensive certs for England & Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Meursault wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience of ordering a British (Scottish) birth cert from the 1800s?

Is it possible to order this online?

Does anyone know the UK website for this, by chance?

Thanks.

Scottish system is separate, civil registration started in 1855 (mid-1837 for England/Wales) - see Scotland's People

• Advertisement

Oh good point! I totally missed the Scottish bit.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Scotland's People will empty your wallet rather quickly if you have sizeable Scottish connections. Great resource; if only they didn't have it run privately and for profit...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

It's better than £9.75.

Scotland's people is running a great resource & if people are willing to pay, they're not going to change their model. We're spoiled in Ireland by the free stuff.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Meursault

Thanks for all the advice guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

pinkypinky wrote: »
    It's better than £9.75.

Scotland's people is running a great resource & if people are willing to pay, they're not going to change their model. We're spoiled in Ireland by the free stuff.

Agreed. What I dislike most about Scotland's People is that your credit balance expires after a period so be careful in front-ending it.

Advertisement