Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RPG Maker VX via HumbleBundle

• 29-05-2014 11:20pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

For any RPG Maker enthusiasts or up and coming 'getting into game design' folks looking for a cheap and decent platform for learning - RPG Maker and countless DLC, packs and games are being sold via Humblebundle between 1-12$'s (being advertised as worth over 350$'ish).
    Just bought the entire lot for 12$, even though I already had an RPG Maker in the bag. Very handly little tool to have and, worst case scenario, you'll get some artistic inspiration, placeholder art and sounds, or just a chance to dabble with game-making.

RPG Maker is responsible for creating a wide range of popular games out there, so consider it if you're into the development side of things.
    https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Edit: Adding FaceBook link as well for the uninitiated. I strongly suggest yall follow them :)
    https://www.facebook.com/humblebundle

Post a comment here if you grabbed it :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

RopeDrink wrote: »
    For any RPG Maker enthusiasts or up and coming 'getting into game design' folks looking for a cheap and decent platform for learning - RPG Maker and countless DLC, packs and games are being sold via Humblebundle between 1-12$'s (being advertised as worth over 350$'ish).
    Just bought the entire lot for 12$, even though I already had an RPG Maker in the bag. Very handly little tool to have and, worst case scenario, you'll get some artistic inspiration, placeholder art and sounds, or just a chance to dabble with game-making.

RPG Maker is responsible for creating a wide range of popular games out there, so consider it if you're into the development side of things.
    https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Edit: Adding FaceBook link as well for the uninitiated. I strongly suggest yall follow them :)
    https://www.facebook.com/humblebundle

Post a comment here if you grabbed it :D

Fantastic deal! Cheers for the heads up. Picked it up :) similarly, I had the basic application

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Just grabbed this. Currently focusing on mobile apps with gideros but might like to give a bigger project a go some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There's a really diverse mod community churning out ways to add new features like extra stats/skills and different combat mechanics, or showing you some clever tricks for prettying up your game maps. I've seen everything from super-cute chibi JRPG to Cthulhu mythos survival horror come from RPG Maker. Well worth the look.

Anyone know off the top of their head if RPG Maker Ace will work on Linux? If so, what distro's? Am thinking of installing it on kids machine and this is the only program i'm not sure about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No idea, but I have found the devs to be friendly and quick to respond to questions, so why not email them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

I think the editors are windows only. Though RPG maker xp is supposed to have an open source interpreter that lets games made with it run on linux.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

sorry for the necromancy but its up on humblebundle again for very little along with a ton of assets/tools and a load of other stuff
    (Stencyl 1 year sub and a few other engines)
    https://www.humblebundle.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Hey folks, just spotted the humble bundle, and pretty wowwed to be honest. How would this suit someone who has absolutely no experience in game development at all? Would it be lost on me, or a good thing to get a start with?

Links234 wrote: »
    Hey folks, just spotted the humble bundle, and pretty wowwed to be honest. How would this suit someone who has absolutely no experience in game development at all? Would it be lost on me, or a good thing to get a start with?

Very very good to get started with as you can do as little coding as you want. You're customisation options become more limited but you can achieve alot using the in game editor.

There is scripting abilities too so if you get comfortable you could start doing something small with it.

That's for rpg maker, not too familiar with the others

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've used Stencyl before in a project. Made a pretty neat 2 level platformer with a boss at the end but can't recommend using it. Found it a pain in the ass to use and figure out and anything it can do gamemaker does better and with more features.

• Advertisement

Just to let people know, this is on sale again on Steam for €6.49. There is a newer version of RPG Maker out now (RPG Maker MV) which I haven't had the chance to try yet (mainly because it's €70+ and for something I only occasionally dabble in, that's a bit much) which is supposed to be excellent.

Still highly recommend the tool!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 QT2

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i got rpg maker mv on the steam sale great so far real easy like compared to the year or so of frustration i had trying to get into unity :-p it was going for around 30 euro down from 70+

Lone Stone wrote: »
    i got rpg maker mv on the steam sale great so far real easy like compared to the year or so of frustration i had trying to get into unity :-p it was going for around 30 euro down from 70+

Is it still on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

RedXIV wrote: »
    Is it still on sale?

i dont think so :( seems to be back up to 74 now

Lone Stone wrote: »
    i dont think so :( seems to be back up to 74 now

Ah well, next time!

Advertisement