Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying locations around Dublin

• 08-12-2019 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭

Probably not the best place to ask this, but anyhow.

I'm building a foam RC plane over the christmas with the kids, will certainly be under 500g, likely under 300g or so, 900mm wingspan. 1000KV motor, 3S power.

Are there restrictions around flying something like this in parks ? I'm thinking large open parks, Marlay for example, round the cricket pitch area or around the GAA pitches (assuming of course there aren't any actual, y'know, cricket or GAA games on the go)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Don't know Marlay Park, but you should be ok in that sort of location, as long as there are little or no people about, (in case of malfunction). If you are willingto venture into the Northside, there is a designated area to the west of the Pope's Cross that is (or used to be) used by a club on Sunday mornings.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've a few models and a decent heli too but this time of year the weather is so difficult.

I have a lot of fun with a JJRC H36 Mini done flying it indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

AS a responsible new drone owner I have quite the list of where I should not and am not allowed to fly a drone, but I really cannot figure out where I can fly one.

I can see from various sources that I cannot fly, at my home, in parks and public greens. according to some sources, it seems that I also cannot fly on beaches or strands. Endless lists of where you cannot fly.... even the Phoenix park have a dedicated model aircraft flying club but drones are specifically excluded. There is one other club with a base for FPV speed drone flying and that is it as far as I know..

it would be great if the IAA gave some suggestion as to where we could fly to avoid the abuse of the necessary and important no-fly areas.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

It's not a good idea to fly over the public. People sue of they or their property gets damaged.
    And that's how we come to have clubs that provide a place together with other expert help in getting started.
    There is a pinned thread in the forum with lists of clubs, places and so on.

But if you get the permission of a landowner, and fly over private property, so long as there are not extenuating factors like you are not under a commercial flight lane or adjacent to a neighbouring roadway or building, that ticks a lot of boxes. Ireland is chock full of large fields covered in grass and somebody can give you permission for many of them if you look respectable and ask politely they might offer you a cup of tea when you finish flying.

coolwings wrote: »
    It's not a good idea to fly over the public. People sue of they or their property gets damaged.
    And that's how we come to have clubs that provide a place together with other expert help in getting started.
    There is a pinned thread in the forum with lists of clubs, places and so on.

But if you get the permission of a landowner, and fly over private property, so long as there are not extenuating factors like you are not under a commercial flight lane or adjacent to a neighbouring roadway or building, that ticks a lot of boxes. Ireland is chock full of large fields covered in grass and somebody can give you permission for many of them if you look respectable and ask politely they might offer you a cup of tea when you finish flying.

Thanks but again not really applicable to drones.. I even checked with the club that meets in the Phoenix park and they specifically EXCLUDE drones. I can understand farmers fields, if you could find one for landing a plane but not really required for a drone.. If I was a farmer I would be VERY suspicious, with farm robberies etc etc// I can find pages of lists of places I can NOT fly but Not one of where i actually can/. Is it any wonder people just unbox and fly ? I seen one "tourist" flying a Mavic type drone around St Peters Church in Phibsoboro during a football match in the nearby stadium. !!! Madness................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Not sure about the plane, but I’d tend to keep clear of large public parks like Marley, I’d imagine the ranger will come over and ask you to stop.
    I fly my drone early in the mornings when there are few people around, I never fly above people or built up areas. Usually around cliffs, beaches, fields, rivers.
    I’m not familiar with South Dublin but there are plenty of places in North county Dublin where you can fly and keep out of peoples way.

..... there are plenty of places .... where you can fly and keep out of peoples way.

The key point.
    Few people have problems with somebody enjoying themself while not causing harm to others.

I would mention that beginners don't always have a good enough grasp of the safety concepts and "help" from more experienced hands brings benefits the raw newcomer won't know they need.
    At it's most basic, reduced crashes saves money.
    At the other end of the spectrum, propellers have rotating blades and not everybody respects that enough until after a painful encounter with same.

The difference between models and toys is important because of these safety factors, increased power and speed. That increases potential for hurt/damage if ineptly used.

Not lecturing, but experts are more forthcoming on possible dangers than sales pages for products on the internet.

.... I’d tend to keep clear of large public parks like Marley, I’d imagine the ranger will come over and ask you to stop....

Good point.

Most, possibly every park has the "Byelaws" listed on a sign near the entrance. Byelaws = The Rules of the Park.
    usually flying models is disallowed. But not always. Sometimes there is a place set aside for that, eg Phoenix Park.

Ask the Ranger if in doubt.

And even if you do have permissions, be extremely careful when people wander into "your space" and get under your flying equipment. Land it and move or go. You're the driver of your model/drone/whatever. This is like driving a car and a pedestrian steps out in front of it. You are expected to not injure the pedestrian even if they did something idiotic and you didn't. So you just stop!

coolwings wrote: »
    Good point.

Most, possibly every park has the "Byelaws" listed on a sign near the entrance. Byelaws = The Rules of the Park.
    usually flying models is disallowed. But not always. Sometimes there is a place set aside for that, eg Phoenix Park.

Ask the Ranger if in doubt.

And even if you do have permissions, be extremely careful when people wander into "your space" and get under your flying equipment. Land it and move or go. You're the driver of your model/drone/whatever. This is like driving a car and a pedestrian steps out in front of it. You are expected to not injure the pedestrian even if they did something idiotic and you didn't. So you just stop!

I totally agree with all the above. It is because I am inexperienced that I want to get practice in as good conditions as possible, so would not wish to be anywhere near anyone, and I totally respect that it is the drone flyer that has to make safety the prime issue ( and nuisance a close second).

I would like to be able to find a small site that I can fly to a max of 10 M or so... to full get used to and understand the controls and operation.. however I can see form the various sources ALL of the places that I CANNOT fly, BUT I cannot see where I can/. Ignoring the "friendly farmers" not a runner IMHO, where, in Dublin, exactly do folks fly, with the least amount of hassle....

One would think that some of the public parks would allocate a small area with a height limit for this activity.. it is a complete CATCH 22,

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

To get back to the OP's question; yes Daire, you can fly a model plane under 500gm in a dedicated areain the Phoenix Park to the west of the Papal Cross.
    Also, I once witnessed a model aircraft display in St Anne's Park, so you might be allowed to fly there too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement