Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crossed spark plug thread

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

[QUOTE=MrCostington; You will have me on Tick Tok next lol[/QUOTE]

You went on the clock the minute you started this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

kadman wrote: »
    Sash cord was used because its firm enough that when you pull it out,
    it all comes out, and does not get caught. Unlike a fabric type of material,
    you may leave bits in there. I suppose lawnmower starter cord is much the same thing.

Fingers crossed these smeared in grease should catch all the material.

Youtube proper use of reverse chasers before you start.

I am surprised that no other classic car owner has had to repair a damaged plug thread,
    because in the beetle world i have seen a few.
    I did but I pulled the head, got a replacement from a scrappy and gave it fresh valve guides and valve stem oil seals. I was under the 500 quid including the machine shop work.

I dont like the idea of repairing in situ but I am also a glutton for punishment

I did but I pulled the head, got a replacement from a scrappy and gave it fresh valve guides and valve stem oil seals. I was under the 500 quid including the machine shop work.

I dont like the idea of repairing in situ but I am also a glutton for punishment

So you replaced the head, but you didn't repair the damaged one.

Thats an option for the op.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Exodus 1811

Following this with great interest.

The below could be completely ridiculous, but anyways...

Would it be an idea to fill the chamber with petrol so that any light swarf will be suspended, then post cleaning of the threads, suck it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I am deadly serious about the heads , I have a few scrap ones.

I am next door to Kilbeggan racecourse.
    Parachute cord will do too, or lawnmower pull cord.

Of course you wont be able to leave a pull cord in the plug obviously, no matter how light.

Might work.

Would you have to come far??

Many thanks, I really appreciate that, but I'm in Dublin so it would be about 3 hr round trip. I'll try without, thanks.

I think you misunderstand my use of the word parachute, I made this:

chute.jpg

Re tic tok, that was a joke. I'm not one for social media so I don't post on YT. tic toc is a video sharing app the young people use lol. I have booked hair and makeup for my YT début !

• Advertisement

Sorry, the car was still running, just the plug was working its way out due to worn threads, I rebuilt the replacement which meant the car was only down for a couple of days when swapping over. Worked for my situation at the time - dailying a classic!

The cost would be the hours involved. I'd have to get a pro to to it. I've been looking at your videos with envy (your workshop, and skill of course), I'm doing this on the roadside.

Would it be an idea to fill the chamber with petrol so that any light swarf will be suspended, then post cleaning of the threads, suck it out?

Petrol is even less dense than water, anything would just sink. And it would get into the crankcase I'd think. But I like your thinking!!

The cost would be the hours involved. I'd have to get a pro to to it. I've been looking at your videos with envy (your workshop, and skill of course), I'm doing this on the roadside.

Paying for it to be done would be a whopper bill alright.

Lads, I've cracked it

https://youtu.be/ccf83w0EvK4

• Advertisement

Lads, I've cracked it

https://youtu.be/ccf83w0EvK4

LOL but I'm way ahead of you. I call it Johnny

vac.jpg

Youtube proper use of reverse chasers before you start.

Here you go, just got it today, not tried it yet.

This is the MS003 Sealey reverse action spark plug chaser for repairing crossed spark plug threads in your cylinder head. This is for a 14mm plug with 1.25mm thread pitch. I confirmed this by emailing Sealey directly, they were very helpful. I guess they do other sizes. And I checked this is what I needed by looking up the spec for the plug.

Only Irish stockists is VinnyByrne.com and it's about €34

Make sure piston is not at TDC to allow room for it.

Here you go, just got it today, not tried it yet.

This is the MS003 Sealey reverse action spark plug chaser for repairing crossed spark plug threads in your cylinder head. This is for a 14mm plug with 1.25mm thread pitch. I confirmed this by emailing Sealey directly, they were very helpful. I guess they do other sizes. And I checked this is what I needed by looking up the spec for the plug.

Only Irish stockists is VinnyByrne.com and it's about €34

Make sure piston is not at TDC to allow room for it.

Thats a nice bit of kit. I hope I never need one:D

I assume the recommendation is to put a small bit of grease on it to catch the swarf, and clean it on each chase out of the plug hole. No point in reversing it up the plug hole, cutting swarf, and then winding the swarf back into the plug hole.

Looks good, good luck on your endeavors:).

Job done! It was a nerve-racking job to make sure I did it right and not make it worse. I need a drink and lie down after it!!

I did not use the rag in the end, it looked to be a very tight fit, so I decided against it, would use my vacuum after.

I applied some grease to the end of the tool before inserting, There is actually very little clearance to get it in. At first, could not get what seemed like the right thread. I thought I was going to end up damaging the bottom of the thread too. So I took it very easy and gently to find the natural thread. After a few tries it became smooth as expected. I assume I just had to overcome some carbon deposits at the start.

Once I got a few turns in I dropped some 3 in 1 oil into the thread (forgot to get cutting oil) and very gently unscrewed the tool. When I found it getting too hard, I reversed my ratchet and went in a turn, before resuming the cutting/cleaning.

Once done, cleaning the tool revealed a fair amount of metal in with the grease. I cleaned the tool and the head and inspected the thread with my endoscope camera and saw some metal residue. I used the tool a second time, mostly able to just use fingers to unscrew, and inspected the thread again, much better.

I then inspected the top of the piston and cylinder wall, all clean so I put the plug in and started it up.

Thanks everyone (especially kadman) for all your help.

I assume the recommendation is to put a small bit of grease on it to catch the swarf, and clean it on each chase out of the plug hole. No point in reversing it up the plug hole, cutting swarf, and then winding the swarf back into the plug hole.

That's exactly what I did. It's a one direction operation. Although I used it a second time, that was just to catch some swarf, no cutting was done.

Thats a great result, I knew you could do it.

Well done.:cool::cool:

Thanks! You have more faith in me than I do! Anyway, a lesson learned!

I left you a little thank you in the today I saw a classic thread :)

Advertisement