Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toyota airbag recall

Options
  • 26-10-2019 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭

I think most people have heard about it by now, indeed I received another letter for my Avensis the other day. The letter says the steering wheel ignitor needs to be changed. This is because over the years it could have absorbed moisture etc.

But what about the other airbags? My car has 9 in total. How is it that the rest are deemed ok but the steering wheel one is dodgy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Different types of airbags maybe, or its more prone to the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

was a specific issue with airbags manufactured by one manufacturer affects several brands , nothing to do with age

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

enumbers wrote: »
    nothing to do with age

The Takata airbag recall is to do with age, as the inflators can absorb moisture over time. The problem wasn't discovered until years after they were manufactured, but mostly only in hot and humid countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Got a letter today about an avensis I have. What's the chance of getting a free service out of this. You know, it all the inconvenience its causing! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

None whatsoever I'd say, you can keep your defective airbag :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Zero. The manufacturers are paying for this out of their own pocket. The airbag manufacturer is bankrupt.
    Their relaxed attitude to these recalls and the amount of time they’ve dragged it out for will tell you how much of a priority it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Pekarirska

MeTheMan wrote: »
    What's the chance of getting a free service out of this.

They gave me a FREE window sticker reminding me of my next service... kms / date whichever comes first. After I paid for the service.
    Recall was a few mins job completely gratis ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Pekarirska wrote: »
    They gave me a FREE window sticker reminding me of my next service... kms / date whichever comes first. After I paid for the service.
    Recall was a few mins job completely gratis ;-)

Was wondering that. It's a few minute job? See there is a recall on the tow hitch as well, but mine is after market!

*edit* how much is a service with a Toyota garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Pekarirska

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Was wondering that. It's a few minute job? See there is a recall on the tow hitch as well, but mine is after market!

*edit* how much is a service with a Toyota garage?

The garage said that the airbag recall was a few minute job. Needed to wait a day for the part though as had to be ordered in.

An intermediate service, that is oil and filter, was €150 on 1.6 L petrol. Thought that was cheap for a Toyota dealership. Had a complete overhaul at my indie last year, and €150 seemed like a good price to get another year out of my banger.

More on servicing prices: https://www.toyota.ie/service-and-accessories/service-and-maintenance/toyota-value-service.json

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Had the passenger airbag replaced on our Corolla three years ago and the driver's two years ago...

Got a letter this morning saying an airbag (unspecified) needs to be replaced...

On toyota.ie/recall-check it says this is for re-replacement of the passenger airbag :rolleyes: now I know this is down to the supplier not Toyota, but wouldn't the dodgy Takata airbags have no longer been in use three years ago?

Booked it in with the dealer and they said it was for replacement of the airbag sensor!

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Takata went out of business ages ago so safe to say it’s another supplier.

Advertisement