Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insurance for classic car?

Options
  • 29-07-2020 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64,773 ✭✭✭✭

I know there is an insurance thread and even an insurance forum, but these don't seem to have up to date info for classic cars

Bit of a predicament. I had to use my no claims bonus from my classic policy to bring in a car (non classic) from the UK early this year. I had to cancel my classic insurance for this

My classic car has been uninsured and declared off the road since. The NCT is now expired on it and the earliest booking I can get is for November

Car is a Porsche Boxster 2.5, 1999. I do have insurance in my name on a daily car and I am well over 25 :D No claims, no penalty points, full NCB. Full Irish driving licence. I only need cover for 2k km per year, that would be more than adequate.

Trying to get it insured again and I get these results:

-First Ireland - my favourite insurer. Good quote €250 fully comp, but they won't insure with no NCT (unless I get an engineers report)

- Axa - car must be >25 years

- FBD - car must be >25 years

- Allianz - do not do direct classic policy, only via brokers. My own broker does not do classic policies

- Carole Nash - car must be garaged (seriously, WTF? Who of the 2 million people in the greater Dublin are have a garage, 10% of people at most)

- Autoline - car must have NCT

- Campion / IVETA - €250 but third party online. Poor value for money and will have to fill in a load of paper work and send through the post and become a club member too. Will not cover or take payment over the phone. They are not just vintage when it comes to cars, their policies are pretty antique themselves :pac:

Any other options or what would you do? I'm tempted to just put the car in storage for a few years, maybe I should do that. In the past the car cost me €100 in motor tax alone for every time I drove it. Insane.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Do you need insurance on it immediately?

From looking online Northpoint2 is showing availability for 14th October

• Registered Users Posts: 64,773 ✭✭✭✭unkel

No, I'm not in any hurry. I would happily wait for an NCT to become available. Problem is, I can't get to an NCT centre without having insurance on the car. So I need someone to cover me to at least drive to the NCT centre and to drive to a garage to have any issues sorted if there are any.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

unkel wrote: »
    No, I'm not in any hurry. I would happily wait for an NCT to become available. Problem is, I can't get to an NCT centre without having insurance on the car. So I need someone to cover me to at least drive to the NCT centre and to drive to a garage to have any issues sorted if there are any.

Ah right, I see your issue. :o

And I'm in no hurry to pay the €1080 motor tax either :p If things were easy and I got insurance, I'd tax it for 3 months, get it NCTd and then decide what to do.

But I think I will just stick it in storage somewhere for a few years. The car is new enough so that it doesn't rust and I do have a fitted cover for it. Or maybe I should just sell it. A friend told me in a similar situation in the past to use it or lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bongojohn

Following this, I’ve a 00 Honda integra, was my main car for the last 15 years, own policy etc. have since got a sensible daddy wagon so transferred ncb onto that. Am looking for a new policy for the integra, so far autoline and Carole Nash either don’t do “that type of car”, or it’s only over 25 years they quote for. Am waiting for some others to get back but not holding out much hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

try Barrett Private Insurance - i have my 996 & TT with them,

P.s. kinda curious why import a Boxster given the VRT crapshoot here - could be cheaper to buy here...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

That did the trick, thank you!

Advertisement