Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault 19s - esp. phase 1 and TSE

Comments

BrianD3 wrote: »
    ...... yet many people including myself remember them as being one of the fastest vehicles on the road :) ......

It's no wonder folk with a Honda civic thought they were really fast so :)

A petrol corolla would have left a 19 van standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Augeo wrote: »

I remember my 19 van giving my friends Orion a trashing on many occasion

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I remember my 19 van giving my friends Orion a trashing on many occasion

No doubt the 1.3 and 1.4-litre CVH Ford engines were not at all sprightly...... Once rolling the diesel Renault had more guts but it depends on what you consider a thrashing....... Both woefully slow TBH.

Bit of rosetints going on with 19s IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

curvedxl wrote: »
    Haven't seen one around for years. Probably all driven into the ground like most vans.

All the little vans seem to vanish, the Caddy/Berlingo seem to take their
    Place,

Augeo wrote: »

1.8 Corrolla van was a different class altogether, brilliant little van,
    Pug 205 1.9 would eat A 19 van, looked and handled better as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Oh yeah I see that Ba_barabus is not content with just one 19 and is looking for another to restore.

He is but he's well aware of that green one. It's been sitting up since 07 outside and the last I heard they wanted €1000. I haven't seen it but I'd well imagine it's rusty.

As regards diesel VS. petrol my dad had a 1.9D Chamade back in the day. He drove a colleagues 19 1.4 for some reason and came back saying it was like a sports car in comparison.

Neither are a sports car but I really enjoy driving the 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭BrianD3

ba_barabus wrote: »
    He is but he's well aware of that green one. It's been sitting up since 07 outside and the last I heard they wanted €1000. I haven't seen it but I'd well imagine it's rusty.
    Better than this one that was on adverts. Jaysus. Rear wiper, the correct wheels on the front and leather rear seat but the less said about the rest the better.

https://www.adverts.ie/car/renault/19/1995-renault-19/15582733

Better than this one that was on adverts. Jaysus. Rear wiper, the correct wheels on the front and leather rear seat but the less said about the rest the better.

That's rough, why would you do that to the doors?

That's rough, why would you do that to the doors?

MAX POWER era

We're getting into pretty nerdy stuff here but this attachment is a comparison between the R19 and other models for sale at the time;

r19.jpg

r19a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

...Oddly enough, a couple of years ago I was on the M50 and saw a Renault 19 coming along side me and was thinking that I'd not seen one in years, and it was my old one, but now a kind of matt black colour. 95D6808 if the owner reads this, would love a photo of it now. :)

I take that back :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's fúcking gas!!!!

Sorry about that! I didn't cop that the reg was the same as the one you posted. According to the NCTS site, it passed an NCT in Jan 2015 so perhaps it hadn't been butchered at that point. Very likely scrapped and put out of its misery by now.

This thread has had a lot of views and posts now and there is only a small number of actual cars (in 2020) mentioned i.e. Renotec and Ba_barabus cars plus the Baccara that is for sale that hasn't had an NCT since 2007. I guess the 19 is going the way of many other French and Italian cars that sold quite well and are remembered with some fondness but by the time they approach classic status, there are hardly any left. Different in France etc.

What's next to disappear, maybe the Laguna II. Don't mention the fights that went on in these forums over them but they are much more reliable and long lasting (in 1.6/1.8 form at least) than they are given credit for. They are exceptionally well protected against rust - much more so than the R19 was, also much better than a Focus or Mondeo.

350 quid for a relatively clean one with low mileage and NCT (which can probably be extended by another 4 months due to Covid)
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-laguna-2001-nct-8-2020/24802443

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

At the opposite end of the spectrum, theres someone in Waterford selling a 1992 16v (lhd) asking £7.5k

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1223757

13055788.jpg

At the opposite end of the spectrum, theres someone in Waterford selling a 1992 16v (lhd) asking £7.5k

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1223757

13055788.jpg

Where's the scoop?

Where's the scoop?
    A lot of them don't have a scoop - see the original press photos etc. online.

It looks like scoops were more common on RHD cars than LHD (16S) ones.

A lot of them don't have a scoop - see the original press photos etc. online.

It looks like scoops were more common on RHD cars than LHD (16S) ones.

It needs the scoop, looks too much like a 1.7 without it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Sorry about that! I didn't cop that the reg was the same as the one you posted. According to the NCTS site, it passed an NCT in Jan 2015 so perhaps it hadn't been butchered at that point. Very likely scrapped and put out of its misery by now.

This thread has had a lot of views and posts now and there is only a small number of actual cars (in 2020) mentioned i.e. Renotec and Ba_barabus cars plus the Baccara that is for sale that hasn't had an NCT since 2007. I guess the 19 is going the way of many other French and Italian cars that sold quite well and are remembered with some fondness but by the time they approach classic status, there are hardly any left. Different in France etc.

What's next to disappear, maybe the Laguna II. Don't mention the fights that went on in these forums over them but they are much more reliable and long lasting (in 1.6/1.8 form at least) than they are given credit for. They are exceptionally well protected against rust - much more so than the R19 was, also much better than a Focus or Mondeo.

350 quid for a relatively clean one with low mileage and NCT (which can probably be extended by another 4 months due to Covid)
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-laguna-2001-nct-8-2020/24802443

The Laguna II was such a cracking looking car. It still is.

The Laguna II was such a cracking looking car. It still is.
    I have a 03 one, owned from new, 300k miles, off the road for a few years and has developed a couple of issues while parked up. Needs a few hundred spent on it to pass an NCT..

Even as a slow 1.6, it is a great car to drive.

My only regret is that I didn't buy a sport tourer instead of a hatch as I now think they look better again especially wih 17 inch "Silverstone" wheels, they also had more standard equipment.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/renault-19/25139252
    Pics not great but you dont see many phase 1's for sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/renault-19/25139252
    Pics not great but you dont see many phase 1's for sale

I rang him this morning......sold already.
    Looked ok as well.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I rang him this morning......sold already.
    Looked ok as well.

This isn't the same one is it? I dont think it is but it's a coincidence to see two black 5 doors in the same week.
    This one looks far nicer.

Actually on reflection it is but someone has put some spit and polish on it.

That TSE has been on donedeal a couple of times, good to see that it is still surviving. See below a pic of it from a few years ago. A 1989 R19 should have unpainted bumpers and mirrors, IIRC the late phase 1 TSEs did have colour coded bumpers/mirrors but retained the "chrome" strip on the bumpers and door strips.

Car looks better in the old pic in my view
    517609.jpg

New pic, someone has been at it with the black paint
    517610.jpeg

"Will fly NCT" according to the ad but hasn't done so since 2012 :)

The paint on the front of the bonnet doesn't look right. Like it was painted with a brush.
    That TSE has been on donedeal a couple of times, good to see that it is still surviving. See below a pic of it from a few years ago. A 1989 R19 should have unpainted bumpers and mirrors, IIRC the late phase 1 TSEs did have colour coded bumpers/mirrors but retained the "chrome" strip on the bumpers and door strips.

Car looks better in the old pic in my view
    517609.jpg

New pic, someone has been at it with the black paint
    517610.jpeg

"Will fly NCT" according to the ad but hasn't done so since 2012 :)

This isn't the same one is it? I dont think it is but it's a coincidence to see two black 5 doors in the same week.
    This one looks far nicer.

It is. New numberplate and a price increase......
    517634.png

It would have made a lovely starter classic for someone at 1400

Would indeed. I have me doubts it was actually sold though.

Yep and undoing the painted bumpers and sourcing the original chrome trim which has also been painted will be a right paint in the hole. Pity the original number plates are gone too.

I'd also take the mileage with a pinch of salt, I know a previous owner who sold it with higher mileage.......;)

Worth checking the brake lines have been replaced also....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It won’t be passing an NCT with those plates anyway?

Advertisement