Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is under offer not the same as sale agreed?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bitconfused

Gael23 wrote: »

Yes , I would have thought that but if sale agreed what's the reason for the ad to stay up?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

Yes , I would have thought that but if sale agreed what's the reason for the ad to stay up?

It happens a lot.
    I think it's a convenience thing for EA if the sale does fall through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Sale agreed I think is when the booking deposit is paid. Under offer must be the period between agreement and payment of that deposit?

If you buy a house based on a virtual tour are you allowed to get an engineers report done with level 5?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

If you buy a house based on a virtual tour are you allowed to get an engineers report done with level 5?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Do you get a cooling off period like other internet purchases? :-)

😎

Do you get a cooling off period like other internet purchases? :-)

You can pull out up to the point contracts are signed

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭hi!

givyjoe wrote: »
    And the madness continues.. https://www.sherryfitz.ie/buy/house/kildare/maynooth/98-carton-court-maynooth-co-kildare-829058
    Asking was 320k, 10 active bidders it's now up to 375k.

The EA was clever and put that up way undervalue. They wanted a bidding war. Was interested in the house but didn’t even bother getting involved cause knew that would happen. A good quality four bed in maynooth for 320?? As soon as I saw the ad I thought it was an error and meant to be 420. The EA know what they are doing. Will prob get to 420 & now they can say houses are selling 100k over asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭hi!

MattS1 wrote: »
    Exactly, nearly a 5 bed so should be 450kish. What's it at now?

Not sure think you have to be bidding on it to be able to see current highest bid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Under offer means that an offer has been made but that further offers are still welcome. Sale agreed means that an offer has been accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Only fear in all this is the seller is not legally bound to sell you the house until the contracts are signed by both parties.

It happened on one deal we did. Seller was getting ancy and had other offers contacted directly. It was his solicitor that was dragging his feet. got the property but was so anxious.

It happened us, many years ago, on a rising market. Seller held on to contract for four months and then pulled out. In theory I could have sued the seller for specific performance. In practice, I couldn't find one case where the seller was successfully sued, to force completion. I estimate it cost us about €20k.

next time I got my solicitor to insert a clause, before I signed. It stated that the contract would lapse if not signed by the vendor, within 3 weeks of us signing. The solicitor had never heard of such a clause, and was reluctant to insert it.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

optogirl wrote: »
    We have AIP from DCC for the Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan but the clock is ticking now. It's up in March - I had to get TDs involved to get a 3 month extension but basically if we haven't found a house by June we're fooked. Everything we've bid on so far has gone way over asking. We're renting with 2 kids so we need the house to be livable while we do it up and there's not much out there that isn't way over our budget. It's so frustrating.

What area are you looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Dublin 7 ideally. We have babysitters on tap and kids very happy in school so would be very reluctant to uproot them.. (eldest has Aspergers and the school are fantastic).

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Similar situation with kids
    Good luck I hope you find somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

There is probably no more sought after area than Dublin 7 at the moment. Near town, 2 luas lines, varied social mix, the Phoenix park etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

There is probably no more sought after area than Dublin 7 at the moment. Near town, 2 luas lines, varied social mix, the Phoenix park etc.

Yep. Have always lived in D7 (when in Ireland). Born and reared here and have 12 relatives who can babysit within walking distance so very much want to stay. Beginning to realise I might be renting forever though.

It's amazing actually, I moved in four and a half years ago, having last lived in Dublin 7 over 23 years ago. It seems to be getting more popular all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

We finally got our keys at 18:00 on Friday. Sale agreed since August 5th... bitter sweet really, we we're stressed right up until the buzzer. There was a good chance it would have pushed to Monday, and we were desperate to finally just get in and have the weekend to move. I had to pull out all the stops to make it happen, including contacting the seller directly, and there was last minute paperwork issues in the final hour, like at 16:00 on planned close day!

Lessons Learned:
    - checkin with agent more regularly at the start
    - engage the land registry (if required) ASAP
    - *never* give up hope

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

GrumPy wrote: »
    We finally got our keys at 18:00 on Friday. Sale agreed since August 5th... bitter sweet really, we we're stressed right up until the buzzer. There was a good chance it would have pushed to Monday, and we were desperate to finally just get in and have the weekend to move. I had to pull out all the stops to make it happen, including contacting the seller directly, and there was last minute paperwork issues in the final hour, like at 16:00 on planned close day!

Lessons Learned:
    - checkin with agent more regularly at the start
    - engage the land registry (if required) ASAP
    - *never* give up hope

Congrats!!!

• Advertisement

I just had a place fall through at the last second after six months so I'm back to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sweetaure

I just had a place fall through at the last second after six months so I'm back to square one.

What happened? Are you buying or selling?

Sweetaure wrote: »
    What happened? Are you buying or selling?

Buying. It was an issue with the management company and fire certification. I dunno, maybe I dodged a bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

GrumPy wrote:

Congratulations Grumpy! Been genuinely waiting to see this post having been sale agreed since a similar time and sharing some comments with you over the past few months. The relief is indescribable isn't it, enjoy your new home it's been well earned at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Oh jesus that's terrible, sorry to hear that

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Oh jesus that's terrible, sorry to hear that

Yeah, and there's not much on the market right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

What a pain, but sounds like you dodged a bullet maybe. Though this is an awful time to be back on the market! Good luck!

I'm technically 18 months into a purchase now!! :pac: :pac: A long drawn out saga made worse by Covid and an estate agent I will never deal with again. In reality I am viewing and bidding again for last 8 months but the market is awful and I hate the whole process!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Exactly, nearly a 5 bed so should be 450kish. What's it at now?

Are you both out of your minds?! Seriously lads, you need to do some more research if you're going to be bidding on houses. They were not seriously under valued. The final price was 385k, which as I keep telling you, is a premium due to the lack of supply. It's maynooth, not d4!

If it went for 385k then it was 65k undervalued...new 4 beds in Maynooth are 415k so 385k is a good value.

New beds? So not a 30 year old houses then? You just said in your last post it was worth 450k?! Have you even looked at the previous prices for this estate? The last sale in the estate was October 2020, same style house and it sold for 322k.

Actually hang on, I've just re-read your post and it makes even less sense now. You believe this is worth 450k, but a new 4 bed in Maynooth is 415k. Fair play to those builders for selling under value!

• Advertisement

New builds obviously. Well it's basically a 5 bed so over 415k could be expected.

There's 3 beds in Moyglare Hall going for 390/400k 2nd hand but those are A rated.

Mate, I really dont want to labour the point as I'm sure no one want's to see an endless back and forth, but honestly, this isn't correct at all. The houses on this estate have not been near this price and as I mentioned previously, the last sale done and dusted on the property register was 322k. The reason I keep coming back is someone else who might be interested in the area and not familiar with it, would be put off by posters confidently stating it's worth the values you're suggesting. I know I might have been.

They're not at that value and haven't got near it (with one exception in 10 years), even with the premium bids due to the lack of supply. They're may be other 4 bed estates in Maynooth that price is applicable to, Carton Court isn't one of them. Agents can and do set an enticing price to generate interest, but they don't set them at 320k, 95/130k below what they expect to get.

Advertisement