Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you happy about how your career is progressing?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Would you go back? Are you with a big 4 here ? Friend was in finance for commonwealth etc some of the banks out there but contract jobs. He was raking it in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Work in IT for 15+ years, Contracting for 6+ now, in a number of companies (primarily financial) around Dublin. Tbh, the career progression has been great, take home pay has risen YOY ahead of inflation and what I would have expected in a salaried position. I have no desire to go the corporate route - i.e. moving up the chain, managing people instead of doing something, etc. so it works out well. I have the freedom to do what I want without a lot of the overhead/red tape typical of a lot of offices.

Workload/hours are manageable, I don't have kids and do not have a long commute, so excessive hours were never a problem. And if a few late evenings were required, they would be billed or time in lieu taken, so it works itself out.

One thing that is needed is discipline: constantly upskilling, interviewing, looking for new opportunities and dealing with recruiters, accountants, revenue, but I enjoy that side of things as well so its not been an issue.

When you say upskilling - through training bodies provided for by the firm you’re working for or are you physically going and doing online courses or short courses at college? Hard to find a platform online for that in construction without going and doing a full blown PgDip/PgCert/Masters which I’ve zero interest in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

CBear1993 wrote: »
    When you say upskilling - through training bodies provided for by the firm you’re working for or are you physically going and doing online courses or short courses at college? Hard to find a platform online for that in construction without going and doing a full blown PgDip/PgCert/Masters which I’ve zero interest in

Doing online courses mainly to pick stuff up, or learning on the job with new tech.
    Haven't got any new 'real' qualifications or certifications since I left college. Don't care about official accreditation as they don't really matter anymore, experience is all that matters in my field/at my level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm a scientist, no I'm not happy with my career but I now accept that it "is what it is" and I'm not defined by it. I'm in my 40s now i.e. at an age where the effects of prior career choices etc. are very obvious.

With the benefits of hindsight, there were signs in my 20s (well before the financial crisis) that my career wasn't going to progress much.

Later on, as reality hit home, I went through an angry phase - comparing myself to my classmates from school who had less academic ability than I had yet have far better careers (earning multiples of what I earn) mainly due to making better decisions and to be fair, having some luck.

However, I have saved very well over the course of my mediocre career and have had some luck of my own so will probably be able to retire by age 50 but it will be a very frugal retirement.

At this point, I'll often get comments that it's never too late to make a career change, you can do anything you want in life. Only partially true as we only have so much time, energy and money. To use an extreme example, I could, in theory, sit the GAMSAT and go back to university to study medicine. However I'd be nearly 50 before I'd be an SHO and close to 60 (if ever) before I'd make consultant. No thanks - that ship has sailed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭HamSarris

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I'm a scientist, no I'm not happy with my career but I now accept that it "is what it is" and I'm not defined by it. I'm in my 40s now i.e. at an age where the effects of prior career choices etc. are very obvious.

With the benefits of hindsight, there were signs in my 20s (well before the financial crisis) that my career wasn't going to progress much.

Later on, as reality hit home, I went through an angry phase - comparing myself to my classmates from school who had less academic ability than I had yet have far better careers (earning multiples of what I earn) mainly due to making better decisions and to be fair, having some luck.

However, I have saved very well over the course of my mediocre career and have had some luck of my own so will probably be able to retire by age 50 but it will be a very frugal retirement.

At this point, I'll often get comments that it's never too late to make a career change, you can do anything you want in life. Only partially true as we only have so much time, energy and money. To use an extreme example, I could, in theory, sit the GAMSAT and go back to university to study medicine. However I'd be nearly 50 before I'd be an SHO and close to 60 (if ever) before I'd make consultant. No thanks - that ship has sailed.

A frustrated intellectual seeing his C student peers make more money is usually the back story of a serial killer or meth kingpin

I’m pulling a sickie tomorrow because of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Elessar

I wouldn't say I'm happy but it's my own aversion to risk and change that has me where I am.

I would be considered a senior level software developer based on my experience but I'm on mid-level wages. The place I work for has zero career progression in its IT dept as it's full of lifers in their 40s, 50s and 60s that never move. I'm not even given a title with "senior" in it - not that I care what I'm called, but it would mean the place would have to pay me more money, which they won't. I've worked and made friends with people who've come and gone over the years and they are all doing very well for themselves on terrific money having moved on to (sometimes a few) other places. They take the p*ss out of me sometimes when they hear I'm still in the same job - and they're right :o

I'm mid 30s now so still young enough to make the changes but tbh I'm getting to the point where I value work-life balance over money. On the plus side, in my current role I never take work home, I'm out the door at 4.30 every day, have a 10 minute commute, can take leave whenever I like and it's 90% stress free. It's pretty handy, and there's a lot to say for those benefits. So it's not all bad.

That said if I got off my ass and really applied myself I could earn upwards of €15-20k more and probably learn a lot more about my speciality. Hell I could even go contracting like a lot of my peers (we were regularly bringing in guys at €500/day from the UK to do what I do).

So I dunno. I do feel miffed that I'm not where I should be (even more now that I'm effectively on a 25% pay cut thanks to coronavirus, which is likely to increase to about 50% shortly) but at the same time, fairly comfortable with the lifestyle.

Quite happy in general and appreciating I'm not overly effected by Covid19. Well I am but not financially as I was able to draft myself into a client site every day since March whereas usually I'd be doing various bits & pieces over more then a few places.

Work gets stressful etc but if you get enough cash for it relative to your needs then it's a chess game rather then a struggle I think.

That said 'retiring' at 50 appeals if the pension goes to plan..... Make the holiday home the actual home and get something else going work wise to occupy the mind take advantage of whatever tax reliefs are going then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭onrail

Another moan about the construction industry here. Grand if you’re in a trade, but by god, it’s an absolute ****show of a career for a professional or someone with a half decent academic ability. Low pay, high stress, long hours and dreadful work-life balance.

€50k at 32, working 45 hours pw minimum. I could push for a director role in a few years, but it’s not even close to being worth the stress.

Before anyone makes comment, I’ve fully accepted I’m bitter about my choice! A career change is difficult to do when you have a family and commitments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Things could always be better but I try to avoid thinking traps like 'career' and 'progression' as you start overthinking it and it could drive you round the bend and make yourself feel like a failure. Life just is what it is. Overall I'm reasonably happy with the choices I've made and any disappointments I've had hasn't been for the lack of trying.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Given the average wage is what €38k and there (according to this thread anyway) seems to be most people even in their early 30s who have already reached that or are already on their way to earning double.

Boards seems to have a very upper earning audience!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I'm not overly happy with where my career is going.

I worked in construction and transportation for years and a planner. I left and went to the civil service because it offered more stability for me.

I've gone for promotions before and always just came up short on passing (always by 1 or 2 points). I feel like I should be further than I actually am and promotions are few and far between.

Im due an increment next month which will bring up my salary to what I was earning in the last company I worked in (in itself was fairly low paying for construction). However which the covid rearing its ugly head I doubt that will happen and I'll get a massive pay cut. The Clerical Officer salary is a pittance you are lucky to start with 390 a week after tax...hard enough to live off that as it is if you are renting and trying to save for a mortgage.

Part of me wishes I stayed where I was in construction but the other part is glad that I'm still working in the office and that I still have a job.

To add,I'm in my late 20s so I still have quite a bit of time to work my way up.

Given the average wage is what €38k and there (according to this thread anyway) seems to be most people even in their early 30s who have already reached that or are already on their way to earning double. ....

Minimum wage is 20k ish..... Half the country at least does 3rd level or a trade. 38k pre covid19 wasn't hard to achieve if you were anyway money driven.

Fair enough if your vocation was childcare or hairdressing but for anyone fond of the Euro with a few braincells a year or three of graft would have you on 38k after leaving 3rd level or your apprenticeship (except mechanics maybe where pay is low for folk not overly great at it)

Augeo wrote: »
    Minimum wage is 20k ish..... Half the country at least does 3rd level or a trade. 38k pre covid19 wasn't hard to achieve if you were anyway money driven.

Fair enough if your vocation was childcare or hairdressing but for anyone fond of the Euro with a few braincells a year or three of graft would have you on 38k after leaving 3rd level or your apprenticeship (except mechanics maybe where pay is low for folk not overly great at it)

Then you have the scientists. My other half is out of uni since 2017 and she’s still on €28K in a small lab in immunology. I tell her more times to get off her ass. That’s embarrassing for the company paying her IMO. Considering she has a masters in IVF and a BSc in biomed.

pew wrote: »
    I'm not overly happy with where my career is going.

I worked in construction and transportation for years and a planner. I left and went to the civil service because it offered more stability for me.

I've gone for promotions before and always just came up short on passing (always by 1 or 2 points). I feel like I should be further than I actually am and promotions are few and far between.

Im due an increment next month which will bring up my salary to what I was earning in the last company I worked in (in itself was fairly low paying for construction). However which the covid rearing its ugly head I doubt that will happen and I'll get a massive pay cut. The Clerical Officer salary is a pittance you are lucky to start with 390 a week after tax...hard enough to live off that as it is if you are renting and trying to save for a mortgage.

Part of me wishes I stayed where I was in construction but the other part is glad that I'm still working in the office and that I still have a job.

To add,I'm in my late 20s so I still have quite a bit of time to work my way up.

Planning always interested me, how did you become one? There’s no set course etc to get into planning, did you just pick it up or see a junior job for it?

I’m working for myself now but it hasn’t gone well, a new business in Jan 2020 then Covid ****ed everything. Will probably have to look for a job again by the end of the summer unless things pick up.

I have a standing desk now in my own small office and I will never go back to sitting down. A tough ask but I’ll make it a must in any job application. :D

Planning always interested me, how did you become one? There’s no set course etc to get into planning, did you just pick it up or see a junior job for it?

I’m working for myself now but it hasn’t gone well, a new business in Jan 2020 then Covid ****ed everything. Will probably have to look for a job again by the end of the summer unless things pick up.

I have a standing desk now in my own small office and I will never go back to sitting down. A tough ask but I’ll make it a must in any job application. :D

I did a masters in supply chain and logistics and applied for a job in Freight Forwarding in a junior position, kinda spiralled from there.

I really enjoyed it if I'm honest.

Then you have the scientists. My other half is out of uni since 2017 and she’s still on €28K in a small lab in immunology. I tell her more times to get off her ass. That’s embarrassing for the company paying her IMO. Considering she has a masters in IVF and a BSc in biomed.

The STEM brigade have a lot to answer for imo. Speaking as someone who loved engineering and science in school, certain careers in their industry leave a lot to be desired.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Due to a mixture of circumstances I failed career wise and will always do low paid jobs however I am average IQ. Poor workers are getting praised now but society will be back to looking down on us in a few months. I am unsure of how I feel about my lack of job and financial prospects, I was never going to be have children anyway so the finances in that regard is not a problem. I just live to indulge in my hobbies in whatever free time the over lords allow me. I suppose I would be considered a "Man child" but the way I see being an adult is over rated anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Seems to be a lot of lads on here with same story regarding construction

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Yes. Very, I've worked for 2 multinationals and progressed at the pace I was happy with over the last 19 years.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

There's this idea that all you have to do is join the CS and you'll be promoted in a couple of years, especially if you have a college degree.

That's bs. There's millions of COs, most will never be promoted.

100% it's not guarantee that you will be promoted at all by just joining and having a degree.

What I mean in my post is that from my own experience missing out on those promotions that I've gone for has set me back in my career. Had I passed I'd be further than I actually am.

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of lads on here with same story regarding construction

Yep, if you want to work in construction, get a trade. Otherwise, do anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Mid 40’s have had a decent salary for the last 10 years and try 35 - 40% a month. I have a tracker mortgage.

I am happy with my career progression but I could have achieved more if I had made the effort and been more of a team player.

My last role ended up as development management of a small team within a larger global team but I wasn’t really bothered with the people management side of the job (reviews etc), I focused on delivering the software, spending a fair amount of my time doing development tasks. I wanted the title but not the non-technical aspects.

My current role is more development focused with some other aspects but not a management role. Far happier now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What were you doing that could be more stressful than social care AND motivate you to retrain? I am guessing you were doing bodyguarding for Uday Hussein?

I was working in aviation. Used to be great fun but post September 11 it just became a slog. When I was young I felt the money was worth the stress but the money became less important the older I got. Now I feel I'm doing something important rather than just making money for some CEO

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Self employed

had my first two week holiday with no work since I was a teenager because of the lockdown

A Different man with no stress so much better for the family

Considering knocking the whole thing on the head

I cannot do another recession

It's not worth it

onrail wrote: »
    Yep, if you want to work in construction, get a trade. Otherwise, do anything else.

I tried to get another thread going a while back about what post grad courses/career changes of direction construction office people take...

Despite having strong numerical skills, project management etc it isn’t all that easy to transfer. While I was in Australia and also back here I tried a few times to apply for jobs in sectors completely outside of construction. It proved impossible unless you were willing to take an entry level / grad salary, which isn’t something I’d be willing to do. A €25-30K wage drop.

Maybe we’re seen by the rest as not that useful outside of construction? CVs have become a lot of BS too. These HR departments are hilarious, largely women who didn’t know what else they wanted to do and did a course in HR. Then these are the ones interviewing you. They get given a page of buzzwords by their seniors in the company and if you don’t tick the boxes they’re looking it’s like explaining yourself to a fembot. Goes in one ear and out the other

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Studied horticulture and arboriculture in the 90's still working away in that line of work.
    I sometimes work as a Gardener and other times a tree surgeon within the same department in the public sector, so I have a great mix of sites and I have a good range of scope to look after.

Basically I'm working independently because I am at the top of my game, so I am working at something I love.

I love the outdoors, and nothing better than doing a real job which is manual, professional, manly and not one of those fluf jobs people are going to loose due to covid 19.
    My neighbor the poor bastard worked in marketing and the arse fell out of it over the last few weeks, he was always bigging up his cushy number.
    We'd meet at the coffee machine on a dark winter's morning in the local shop and when it's wet or windy he'd grinn and say, (I wouldn't like your job in this weather then)..
    I wouldn't tell him that I catch up on administration work and have a workshop and office where I maintain chainsaws and other machinery when it's too dangerous to go outside.

The same prick will tell me, ohhh you made the right choice in doing something you love always trying to give himself the high ground whether he's being sarcastic or wise...

I let these fckers off, and nonchalantly chuckle when they're trying to be Johnny Cool.

I tried to get another thread going a while back about what post grad courses/career changes of direction construction office people take...

Despite having strong numerical skills, project management etc it isn’t all that easy to transfer. While I was in Australia and also back here I tried a few times to apply for jobs in sectors completely outside of construction. It proved impossible unless you were willing to take an entry level / grad salary, which isn’t something I’d be willing to do. A €25-30K wage drop.

Maybe we’re seen by the rest as not that useful outside of construction? CVs have become a lot of BS too. These HR departments are hilarious, largely women who didn’t know what else they wanted to do and did a course in HR. Then these are the ones interviewing you. They get given a page of buzzwords by their seniors in the company and if you don’t tick the boxes they’re looking it’s like explaining yourself to a fembot. Goes in one ear and out the other

Yeah I’ve tried similar threads without much success. Ultimately, we probably see ourselves as being more useful than we actually are.

The only way out is to retrain and accept that entry role elsewhere - but given the salaries in offer where we are, it shouldn’t take too long to get back to where we currently are.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Have changed jobs every 2-3 years with increasing seniority and have very decent pay, enjoyable work and always put life over work. All in all, happy out. Would never be happy in a place that involved long hours; life is to short.

Sounds ideal - what do you work at!?

Advertisement