Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Living DNA

• 12-05-2020 7:32pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Living DNA has expanded their matching database out to 4th cousin range.

I've gone from 4 matches to 348 overnight. Exciting!

One retrograde step is they've defaulted everyone to their initials so it's harder to work out who people are. You can change it in the settings though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Living DNA has expanded their matching database out to 4th cousin range.

I've gone from 4 matches to 348 overnight. Exciting!

One retrograde step is they've defaulted everyone to their initials so it's harder to work out who people are. You can change it in the settings though.

I used 23&me for medical reasons but agreed to share the data. I connected with a cousin who was born in roscrea mother and baby home and adopted (? Sold) to a lovely family in America when he was 4. He had visited roscrea, with a similar story to the Philomena movie several times looking for his birth parents. Through 23&me shared data, it emerged his father was my granduncle and he travelled to ireland last year for a reunion. An emotional time for us all as we hadn't known of his existence and he had spent over 40 years searching. Has anyone else met close relatives via living DNA?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I found 2 second cousins of my father's. I'd known of their existence but not where in Dublin. They were in the next town over from me.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Addendum: either a lot of people have logged in and changed their display name or the company has listened to my moan above. Most people are down under a real name today.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement